Post-Game Talk: Sabres 3, Penguins 1 - Deja Vu All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think the stars will be enough to keep us in or around a playoff spot for most of the year but we look as flawed as ever.

Why did we trade for Galchenyuk if he's not playing on PP1? He looks about as useless as Phil 5v5.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Only bright spot from that debacle was Tanev.

They can keep changing roster players all they want, but if they don't adjust their strategy for pinches in the offensive zone from the dmen, it's going to be a really long season. There's something fundamentally wrong with how they do it now, and it could've easily cost them 5 goals tonight.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
The team should've felt a little emabarssed going down by two at home in game 1, and used that to build a fire and come out swinging but they just seemed so meh. Buffalo seemed like they wanted it more. It's only game 1 though, I have faith this will get figured out one way or another

Reactions: Angrrus

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
We are an awful ******* hockey team. Awful mix. Awful D. Awful coaching. Awful management. Depressing.

(L2 was pretty good. Geno with two 'too cute' moments but otherwise re-energized exactly as advertised . . . the rest of them ranged from me in a few cases to sucking in most cases)

EDIT: @ColePens nailed it. This was the Islanders series continued.

Possibly.

But on the flip side, I LOVE... LOVE LOVE LOVE young up and coming teams. If you're right, I don't want us to hover around .500 this season. Let's be bad, lets dump the staff and FO. Put together a plan with Sid, plus young guys and tons of draft picks.

I would get excited all over again. We got 3 cups, I wouldn't mind watching a young team the next several years.

Fear is FO scrambles, doubles down on even worse contracts, while losing valuable assets.

Reactions: KIRK and Corvidae

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I don’t care what sport we are talking about, the most frustrating and mind numbing thing for fans is watching the same f***ing mistakes being made over and over again, after given lip service for an entire offseason about how things were going to be different.

A bunch of armchair quarterbacks can see this f***ing issues from our couches while eating a bag of chips but coaches and GMs can’t?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think the stars will be enough to keep us in or around a playoff spot for most of the year but we look as flawed as ever.

Why did we trade for Galchenyuk if he's not playing on PP1? He looks about as useless as Phil 5v5.

Nah, he was better than last year's Phil 5 on 5. But, that's not exactly setting the limbo bar high.

End of the day, the mix up front is wrong, the defense is ****, the coaching is exacerbating the problems, and the GM is ******* out to lunch. Not exactly a combination that inspires confidence.

I don’t care what sport we are talking about, the most frustrating and mind numbing thing for fans is watching the same ****ing mistakes being made over and over again, after given lip service for an entire offseason about how things were going to be different.

A bunch of armchair quarterbacks can see this ****ing issues from our couches while eating a bag of chips but coaches and GMs can’t?

Ironically, the one guy who promised to be better who was the biggest question mark (Geno) was, at least tonight, the only one who actually seemed to have meant it.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Expected. JR likes the D and wont fix it, says they have the best D since he was hired even though it's actually the worst by a LONG shot. Just gonna expect the same thing every game until they get an NHL calibre D that can move the puck and does not allow 100 rushes their way per period.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Reminded me exactly of the playoffs last year - must be a coincidence.

+ Tanev - drove play well, did a lot of really effective things, and drew 3 penalties. Exactly what we're paying him for
+ Malkin and Galchenyuk: These too seemed to have more of a pulse than anyone else.
+ Murray: He's gonna need to play this well if this is how we're gonna be playing.
+ 4th line: Really liked what they were bringing, especially in the 1st half. Did their job

= Guentzel: showed flashes but just to0 inconsistent

- The entire defence. Johnson and Gudbranson were at their worst, Pettersson looked very poor, and the top pair was really on a limb tonight in a bad way. Our breakout is non-existent.
- PP. I mean, come on.
- Crosby - completely invisible most of the night
- 3rd line - just did not look very dangerous at all. McCann's hands were just not there and Kahun looks like a non-factor.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is a flawed angle to take. Removing a glaring problem that doesn't solve all problems doesn't mean that it doesn't absolutely still need to be done.

Johnson only hurts the team for the ~12 minutes a night he plays at ES. You still have 35 minutes at ES without JJ, and even without JJ, this team got CAVED today.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Still pissed at the usual boneheaded play by Letang with that blind pass in his own when it caused them to take a penalty a few seconds later. The momentum definitely shifted when Sheary scored on the PP.

Who needs puck moving D when you can have statues on the blueline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad