Sabres: 2nd highest rate of dump ins/led the league in retrievals

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

That is an interesting dynamic. But I wish there was more info to flesh this out.

Love to know who on the Sabres were best at puck retrieval. But looking at the teams who had the best possession into the zone I think we'd be better off in that group.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Not very surprising, but what does the recovery rank mean? Does it mean Buffalo had the best recovery rate per dump-in, or just the top number of recoveries? Either way, it just means Buffalo didn't have enough skill for controlled entry.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Love to know who on the Sabres were best at puck retrieval. But looking at the teams who had the best possession into the zone I think we'd be better off in that group.

Controlled zone entries are obviously the way to go. Problem is you need skill to executive them, and Eichel is the only guy on our roster (afaik) who's demonstrated the ability to do that at a high level.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
800px-Buffalo_Sabres_Banners.JPG

1st in dump-in retrieval champions is going to look sick next to those division champion banners.

Storied franchise.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Well, speaks volume of the dump-and-chase strategy when it is done a ton and executed extremely well......and it leads to nothing.
Lol, yeah. Second in the league in dump-in rate, first in retrieval percentage, but last in scoring. I guess that also says something about our ability to generate scoring chances when we actually have possession in the offensive zone.

Actually, now that I think about it, that could also mean we were just not able to get the puck into the offensive zone very frequently, even with the dump in (due to always being hemmed in our own zone).

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Lol, yeah. Second in the league in dump-in rate, first in retrieval percentage, but last in scoring. I guess that also says something about our ability to generate scoring chances when we actually have possession in the offensive zone.

Actually, now that I think about it, that could also mean we were just not able to get the puck into the offensive zone very frequently, even with the dump in (due to always being hemmed in our own zone).

Or it also means that gaining possession after a dump in is far less dangerous than carrying the puck in.

The skill factor certainly limited them last year, but it’s concerning to be last. It makes me think it was a part of the coaching strategy.

Because even with less talented players you can still attempt to carry in or pass back to the d in the neutral zone and reset the attack.

Eichel, RoR, Okposo, Reinhart and Kane all had enough skill to carry into the zone as the primary plan.

Let’s blame it on crap defensive transition because falk was making a pass instead of coaching.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This is like the Bills always leading the league in rushing when the best teams lead it in passing.

You lead that league in dump and chase guys. All the way to a playoff drought.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Not a big surprise, as crappy as we were we were a pretty big team, not much skill but our forwards did battle well - ROR and Reinhart aren't big or fast but they are both excellent puck retrieval guys.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is like the Bills always leading the league in rushing when the best teams lead it in passing.

You lead that league in dump and chase guys. All the way to a playoff drought.

I wasn’t surprised we were one of the top teams in dump ins. I was surprised we were #1 in retrieval.

Reactions: brian_griffin

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I wasn’t surprised we were one of the top teams in dump ins. I was surprised we were #1 in retrieval.

Me too. I think it goes to show just how ineffective a strategy the dump and chase is. Even when executed well, it still doesn't lead to much offense. Might work decently for a team with little skill up front but a great blue line + goalie, if they want to grind out 2-1 wins. We don't have that kind of D group or goaltending, though. I think Botts' moves this summer point toward moving away from that and toward building around more skilled forwards. Skinner and Sheary are not guys you want playing dump-n-chase hockey, nor is Mittelstadt, nor is Nylander (though he's not a lock to be on the opening night roster, it sounds like he'll be given plenty of chance to make the team).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Does anyone say what this leading retrieval rate is?
I think that's the right question, and it should be compared to carry-in rates.

Like everyone else I'm assuming it's better to be the 10th best carrying team rather than the best dump team but I'd like to see numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad