GDT: Sabers vs. Capitals. 2pm EST. Preseason Game 1. Capital One Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
TV: NBCSW

Radio: Capitals Radio 24/7, 106.7 FAN

Buffalo Sabres (0-0-0)

Washington Capitals (0-0-0)

Some 48 hours after they took the ice for their first practice session of training camp, a group of 20 Capitals will suit up to take on the Buffalo Sabres in the first of Washington's six exhibition tune-ups this fall.

As is typically the case early in the preseason, expect a scant representation of regulars in the lineup for both sides.

Training camp is traditionally seen as a time for veteran players to get their legs beneath them for a long and grinding season ahead, and a time for young players to open eyes and perhaps force their way onto the varsity roster. But camps and preseason slates are shorter now than they were at the beginning of this century, which makes it more difficult for prospects and dark horse candidates to crack NHL lineups, and that will be particularly true in these parts this autumn.

Washington opened camp with 68 players on its camp roster, but a quartet of those skaters - veteran forwards Nicklas Backstrom, Carl Hagelin and Tom Wilson and rookie defenseman Alex Alexeyev - are recovering from offseason surgeries and are not full participants.

giphy.gif

caps_game_roster_Sept2022.jpg

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think the main thing with Iorio is the finer details of open ice defensive positioning and reading the play, particularly as a bigger defenseman still growing into his frame. I'd figure he'll keep it pretty simple as a pro, albeit hopefully not at the expense of jumping in selectively. You'd think there should be PP time for him in Hershey to develop his offense further. By the spring I don't doubt he could be ready, though under the circumstances short of injury he'd have to blow the doors off to force the issue.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m looking at Fehervary the most this preseason and to start the regular season. He needs to show that his January thru May was a fluke and not the norm going forward.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Hard lols at Joe B dissing Gretzky for "prattling on" during Lapierre's goal in last season's first game. Sweet mother of mercy, that was so painful to watch.
Yes, I remember my girlfriend and I watching and her going "who is that talking, somebody tell him to shut up!" As she celebrated her new favorite player scoring his first goal. Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad