Saad

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Crazy to think not only did a lot of other teams pass on him but the Hawks themselves selected 3 players ahead of him :laugh:

2011 just looks like awesome draft

Maybe not at the 1980 level, but it does have me hoping for something close by the time it's all said and done.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
let's hope 1 of the guys picked above him makes it to the NHL and Top6. That's what we should expect.

HawkinMI

Mar 24, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
Even Kane thought that pass was all-world, you could see the expression on Kane's face. Saad tonight looked alot like #88 tonight.

He looked almost too much like 88 earlier in his career. Again, like my point earlier I'm so glad he could feather that pass through (a Minny defender almost got a stick on it) and give Kane an open net.. however, in that situation 10 times out of 10 you need to take the shot. If nothing else force the goalie to kick the puck out in front and get the rebound.

I'm not worried about Saad, he will learn at some point. Whenever he decides to start shooting the puck consistently, his ability to deceive and get behind the defense is going to make him one of the most difficult players to defend in the NHL.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Even Kane thought that pass was all-world, you could see the expression on Kane's face. Saad tonight looked alot like #88 tonight.

I view Saad as more comparable to Toews than Kane...

Similar size, similar speed, similar willingness to break through/split the D, similar skating ability...

Don't get me wrong - Saad is no Toews yet - however, Saad does remind me of Toews when Toews was a rookie...

Saad is a big guy who knows how to use is size effectively just as Toews does...

For a young big kid Saad is pretty impressive with his hands and willingness to try some ballsy plays like rushing up ice attempting to dangle through the D and his offensive awareness is impressive as well.

I also love the fact he's wearing Al Secords old #20 (who is another player Saad reminds me of).

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But last night Saad was a lack of want no show slacker..infected by Kane's bad example in the game..both were too busy admiring their exploits of the game before to care enough to put in the work and effort to compete for pucks and to check let alone to skate at full speed and create chances on attack...such inconsistent play and regression to laziness needs to be addressed if he ever wants to become a big star or else he becomes a star like Kane who too often fails to compete hard enough and relapses into bad lazy habits.

Last edited:

LandofLincoln*

But lasy night Saad was a lack of want no show slacker..infectrd by Kane's bad example in the game..both were too busy admiring their exploits of the game before to care enough to put in the eork and effort to compete for pucks and to check let alone to skate at full speed and create chances on attack...sich inconsistent play and regression to laziness needs to be addressed if he ecer wants to become a big star or else he becomes a star like Kane who too often fails to compete hard enough and relapses into bad lszy habits.

Saad's fine if he is lazy once in awhile I wouldn't notice. Kane's bad play put him at -9 for the season. For super stars he has one of the worst - ratings so far. Kane will clean it up. He hasn't had centers winning faceoffs consistently and his linemates change every other game. I'm hoping Saad- Pirri - Kane stay together as a line for a few weeks even when Handzus returns.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
But lasy night Saad was a lack of want no show slacker..infectrd by Kane's bad example in the game..both were too busy admiring their exploits of the game before to care enough to put in the eork and effort to compete for pucks and to check let alone to skate at full speed and create chances on attack...sich inconsistent play and regression to laziness needs to be addressed if he ecer wants to become a big star or else he becomes a star like Kane who too often fails to compete hard enough and relapses into bad lszy habits.

Eork harder.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
But last night Saad was a lack of want no show slacker..infected by Kane's bad example in the game..both were too busy admiring their exploits of the game before to care enough to put in the work and effort to compete for pucks and to check let alone to skate at full speed and create chances on attack...such inconsistent play and regression to laziness needs to be addressed if he ever wants to become a big star or else he becomes a star like Kane who too often fails to compete hard enough and relapses into bad lazy habits.

I won't bother addressing your Kane comments because to do so would mean they are in some respect credible - which they are not. Your Kane hatred is known far and wide and has been for many years.

However, you assertion that Saad is lazy is one I will address - BALONEY. I have not seen Saad play where he hasn't given a good effort. What I do think he needs to be leary of is trying to emulate Kane's skill level and by that I mean trying to make a fancy pass when the play he should make is to simply shoot it on net. I think there were a couple times last night when Saad could have put the puck on net but instead tried to pass it and consequently the Hawks failed to get a scoring chance. He can't let the fancy pass to Kane against the Wild be something he "tries" to do - he has to make the simple play and only try those fancy plays when it's the only option.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
sorry about ther typos...I did fix it by editing...problem was the keying in on a smartphone is too error-prone either due to the tiny size of the letters or their closeness on the screen keypad ---whatever...I fixedit by editing on a normal keyboard on my computer...less typos with a keyboard and computer screen rather than tiny cramped smartphone typing...I am sure I intended to spell correctly but on a smartphone with the size constraints you get typing errors..I am not a poor speller...it is the fault of technology...but my point was that lastnight Saad wasKane-like in his mailing it n both offensively and defensively ---as if he had done enough "work" the previous game...Kane as we have seen too often this year gives us one or two brilliant shifts then goes MIA the rest of the time...Stars or wanna -be stars who make that a habit are usually swept out after the topbrass cannot stand it anymore--but I guess Kane has a "hereforever" get out of jail card from Stanbo and the marketing dept...I hope Saad does not try to emulate the poor example of #88 --thinking he can take nights off to often for the liking of most educated hokey fans ...they both have loads of talent but it must be applied more consistently ---maybe the coaches can tolerate ONE of them having an MIA night...but since both are on the same #2 line--only a coach wanting to get guillotined can tolerate both doing it too often on the same night... I hope Q has read them the riot act --a starry game prio is no excuse for a freebie permit to just not care to show up the very next game.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
hf50 that is legitimately the first time I have ever seen you respond to someone.

I've always felt that fans question the effort of professional athletes far too often. Kane is not and has never been a lazy player; rather, the old-timers see that he likes to facilitate from the perimeter and that his mindset is always offense-first... and they instantly convert that into "omg lazy." He will never play a 200-foot game because he would be a worse player if he did.
Kane gives effort at exactly what he is supposed to. He has never been very good around the boards in his own zone, and he almost surely never will be. That hardly means he doesn't try.

Fans see an offensive-minded player, assume that because he focuses on offense he must not try on defense, and confirmation bias does the rest. It's the same process for those who incessantly go on and on about how Pirri is the worst defensive player in the universe.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I won't bother addressing your Kane comments because to do so would mean they are in some respect credible - which they are not. Your Kane hatred is known far and wide and has been for many years.

However, you assertion that Saad is lazy is one I will address - BALONEY. I have not seen Saad play where he hasn't given a good effort. What I do think he needs to be leary of is trying to emulate Kane's skill level and by that I mean trying to make a fancy pass when the play he should make is to simply shoot it on net. I think there were a couple times last night when Saad could have put the puck on net but instead tried to pass it and consequently the Hawks failed to get a scoring chance. He can't let the fancy pass to Kane against the Wild be something he "tries" to do - he has to make the simple play and only try those fancy plays when it's the only option.

Agreed. Even on the goal by Kane, that pass was almost intercepted and Saad had a perfectly good opportunity himself. It is this tendency to over pass that prompted me to say he was showing signs of a sophomore slump. Hopefully him hitting the scoreboard lately will give him renewed confidence in his own ability to bury his chances and he won't hesitate to get the puck to the net.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

If it matters - last nights game was offensive and defensive anarchy.... There was really no pace to the game - it was pretty much a "free for all." Both sides were going back and fourth, shooting as much as possible while allowing rebounds to dictate play before the puck left the zone...

It was a very fast paced game - it certainly wasn't a "chess game" (if you will).

There was no organization on either team....

Given those circumstances, I'm not at all shocked that Toews kept a level head and took advantage of that circus.

Of course many players would find it difficult to find their role in a game like that.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Agreed. Even on the goal by Kane, that pass was almost intercepted and Saad had a perfectly good opportunity himself. It is this tendency to over pass that prompted me to say he was showing signs of a sophomore slump. Hopefully him hitting the scoreboard lately will give him renewed confidence in his own ability to bury his chances and he won't hesitate to get the puck to the net.

Saad saw that Kane was clearly open. That was a sweet pass that would have worked 80% of the time.

Sure Saad had a nice opportunity to shoot at Backstrom, but at the same time look how squared up Backstrom was to Saad and how much of an open net Kane had..... Chances are had Saad Shot the puck Backstrom would have had it.

I think in that situation (and the fact the guy he was passing to was Kane) that was the right decision...

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
sorry about ther typos...I did fix it by editing...problem was the keying in on a smartphone is too error-prone either due to the tiny size of the letters or their closeness on the screen keypad ---whatever...I fixedit by editing on a normal keyboard on my computer...less typos with a keyboard and computer screen rather than tiny cramped smartphone typing...I am sure I intended to spell correctly but on a smartphone with the size constraints you get typing errors..I am not a poor speller...it is the fault of technology...

26e.gif

Highlight of my day.

Nothingman*

I see Saad as a mini Hossa. Strong on the puck and along the boards.

It is an 82 game season. Guys are going to play well and drop down all year. I guess it gives us something to talk about. But Saad has been pretty good all year....even last night which was the third game in four nights. Prolly tired.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
sorry about ther typos...I did fix it by editing...problem was the keying in on a smartphone is too error-prone either due to the tiny size of the letters or their closeness on the screen keypad ---whatever...I fixedit by editing on a normal keyboard on my computer...less typos with a keyboard and computer screen rather than tiny cramped smartphone typing...I am sure I intended to spell correctly but on a smartphone with the size constraints you get typing errors..I am not a poor speller...it is the fault of technology...

:banana::banana::banana:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
...but my point was that lastnight Saad wasKane-like in his mailing it n both offensively and defensively ---as if he had done enough "work" the previous game...Kane as we have seen too often this year gives us one or two brilliant shifts then goes MIA the rest of the time...Stars or wanna -be stars who make that a habit are usually swept out after the topbrass cannot stand it anymore--but I guess Kane has a "hereforever" get out of jail card from Stanbo and the marketing dept...I hope Saad does not try to emulate the poor example of #88 --thinking he can take nights off to often for the liking of most educated hokey fans ...they both have loads of talent but it must be applied more consistently ---maybe the coaches can tolerate ONE of them having an MIA night...but since both are on the same #2 line--only a coach wanting to get guillotined can tolerate both doing it too often on the same night... I hope Q has read them the riot act --a starry game prio is no excuse for a freebie permit to just not care to show up the very next game.

As long as you're in a reponsive mood today, let me ask you a couple serious questions, and I hope you will respond.

1. Have you ever considered that your bias against Kane does not allow you to fairly assess Kane's play?

2. Do you believe the Hawks would have won either Stanley Cup without Patrick Kane?

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
I see Saad as a mini Hossa. Strong on the puck and along the boards.

It is an 82 game season. Guys are going to play well and drop down all year. I guess it gives us something to talk about. But Saad has been pretty good all year....even last night which was the third game in four nights. Prolly tired.

agreed. Hossa is always who Im reminded of when I watch Saad... offensively I think his willingness to carry the puck in all alone and try to make something happen reminds me somewhat of Toews, but by and large I see Hossa in saad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad