Value of: Saad to the Sabres

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If I were Buffalo I'd take it and run. It would be an easy yes. It's more than fair.
As a Chicago fan I'd think it was a little light to be honest. The only reason why it's acceptable is because of the cap situation.

You guys are undervaluing both players. If the cap were not a thing, the Hawks would keep both guys.

At some point you guys have to go for it and stop waiting for all of your draft picks to get good together. The last thing the Sabres need is yet another 8th overall pick. I have a buddy who is a Sabres fan and he said he'd make that trade yesterdaye by me..

Then keep them both. Fine by me

Your friend is not a GM.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Isn't Buffalo trying to cut real dollars?
Sabres have 34.5 million in cap space at the moment with only 4 forwards under contract for next year. They have huge flexibility at the moment and it doesn't look like they will be signing their UFA's or all of their RFA's. Reinhart being the notable RFA. This is the summer/fall to have cap space if you want to make major changes and the Sabres definitely do. You can also spend 80 million in cap $$$ and only 72 million in real dollars. Next summer is the Dahlin contract so that is part of the need for space.... not spending to the cap. Stall is a UFA, Saad would be UFA. I see their strategy.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yeah, because Strome is 23 and you know you're getting at least 50 points out of him, with the potential for much more.

Strome is a long-term 2C solution, and helps you win right now. Buffalo needs guys that can help now vs. waiting on another 8th overall pick

Strome paced for 53 points this season playing mostly with Kane. How is he a lock to get 50 playing on the Sabres? Who incidentally look like they have a second line short term center in Staal while Cozens and 8OA develop.

Strome is RFA and looking for a raise, and is just not someone the Sabres should be targeting. With their cap structure, if they ever hope to contend they are going to need production from young guys on ELCs, which means not moving your top ten picks in really strong draft years. Skinner's contract is a back-breaker, and they are going to have to be creative to make the cap work going forward.

Not saying the value isn't there in your proposal, but it just isn't a smart move for Buffalo.

Reactions: Eichel9

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
At his full cap, maybe a 2nd, potentially 2 2nds if a bidding war emerges.

But like saadfather said earlier, I'd imagine the Hawks would retain (or take back) around $3m or so. Saad at $3m, with his 2-way game, decent blend of size/speed, and cup experience, would probably make for a good value asset or two. Not 8th overall value, but probably mid-to-late 1st and B level prospect.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Strome paced for 53 points this season playing mostly with Kane. How is he a lock to get 50 playing on the Sabres? Who incidentally look like they have a second line short term center in Staal while Cozens and 8OA develop.

Strome is RFA and looking for a raise, and is just not someone the Sabres should be targeting. With their cap structure, if they ever hope to contend they are going to need production from young guys on ELCs, which means not moving your top ten picks in really strong draft years. Skinner's contract is a back-breaker, and they are going to have to be creative to make the cap work going forward.

Not saying the value isn't there in your proposal, but it just isn't a smart move for Buffalo.
Strome also didn't get all that much PP time this year, as well as dealing with an ankle injury for a while as an already slow skater, and he still paced for 53 points.
He also paced for 72 last year after being traded to Chicago, so.....

My opinion is that he'd be a lock for at least 50 anywhere.
I already said that this isn't going to work now that you guys traded for Staal.
I just thought it would have been a good deal for you guys beforehand.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Strome also didn't get all that much PP time this year, as well as dealing with an ankle injury for a while as an already slow skater, and he still paced for 53 points.
He also paced for 72 last year after being traded to Chicago, so.....

My opinion is that he'd be a lock for at least 50 anywhere.
I already said that this isn't going to work now that you guys traded for Staal.
I just thought it would have been a good deal for you guys beforehand.

His PP time was not that far off of what it was in 18-19 (16% vs 18%).

From my perspective, Strome's 51 points with Chicago last season, were in large, a product of playing with DeBrincat, who was playing out of his mind an in complete beast-mode. The guy was playing at a totally different level last season, and whether or not one believed Strome to be the catalyst for DeBrincat's production or a passenger on DeBrincat's line is a debate for another thread.

Personally, I would want to see at least one strong season out of Strome where he is the obvious line-driver, and not a passenger with obviously superior players before I would think about throwing precious cap space and giving up valuable assets to pencil him in as the Sabres 2nd line center solution. I just don't see him putting up even 40 points centering guys like Skinner and Kahun,

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
full retain, ill do a conditional 5th round pick that could go to a 4th round pick

doubt he has Buffalo on his 10 team list and we are not looking to add cap.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
In a year where teams are going to be hemorrhaging money and there are teams still up against the cap that need to sell off players for pennies on the dollar I don't really see the appeal of paying up for a guy like Saad. He's an ok player, but I'd have zero interest in giving him his next contract, so that limits what I'd pay for him.
Even before acquiring Staal, Strome was always one of those "if he comes cheap enough" type of targets for Buffalo. There are serious holes in his game and I wouldn't feel all that confident he's anywhere near a lock to be a 50pt player in Buffalo.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I'll put in a silent auction bid of a 3rd, or an equivalent prospect, or a lesser but cheaper player for Saad. He's worth more on skill alone, but not to the Sabres with that contract.
If somebody beats it, good for the Hawks, but I hope it's not Buffalo.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Crow

May 19, 2014
His PP time was not that far off of what it was in 18-19 (16% vs 18%).

From my perspective, Strome's 51 points with Chicago last season, were in large, a product of playing with DeBrincat, who was playing out of his mind an in complete beast-mode. The guy was playing at a totally different level last season, and whether or not one believed Strome to be the catalyst for DeBrincat's production or a passenger on DeBrincat's line is a debate for another thread.

Personally, I would want to see at least one strong season out of Strome where he is the obvious line-driver, and not a passenger with obviously superior players before I would think about throwing precious cap space and giving up valuable assets to pencil him in as the Sabres 2nd line center solution. I just don't see him putting up even 40 points centering guys like Skinner and Kahun,
Debrincat cost Strome a LOT of points this year by my eyes. Strome would set him up for A+ chances near a mostly open net and debrincat would flub them quite commonly.

Reactions: thesaadfather

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
I imagine the Hawks would retain 50% and just look for the highest pick/best prospect they can get. I don’t think a 1st is out of the question, in fact I think that’s pretty fair. Maybe that needs to wait until the deadline, though.

I don’t see anyway Montour is of interest to the Hawks. He’s a RD, he’s looking for a raise, and he’s closing in on UFA status. Hawks have Seabrook, Boqvist, and Murphy already on the right side with Mitchell pushing for a spot and Regula coming in the next few years. They have decisions to make at RD as is and need to cut salary from the bottom half of their lineup.
What would you want for full retention?

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Honestly I think Maata makes more sense than anything for Buffalo.

Would be a good stay at home guy who could play with a more mobile RHD like Montour, Miller or Risto

I'd be very curious if a trade like a fourth plus Hutton for Smith and Maata would work

Buffalo takes a cap dump but gets a younger 2nd pair LHD for cheap and gives back a goalie contract so they can sign an upgrade to pair with their young G

Hawks get a backup to Craw or whatever direction they go as starter and move some cap

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
He's a one-way player who can't skate and did nothing at the NHL level until he played with Kane.
Also, if he were worth anything close to that, Chicago fans would be gushing about going forward with a 1-2 punch of Dach + Strome instead of throwing him in every trade proposal they can.

2019 he played mostly with Debrincat but its okay to be wrong.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Mostly with Debrincat and Kane, as a matter of fact.

Wrong again. Spent most of his time with Kahun and DeBrincat and then with Debrincat and Perlini. He spent only 30% of his time with Kane and even then the majority of his production was with Kahun-Debrincat and DeBrincat-Perlini.

As I said earlier, its okay to be wrong

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Honestly I think Maata makes more sense than anything for Buffalo.

Would be a good stay at home guy who could play with a more mobile RHD like Montour, Miller or Risto

I'd be very curious if a trade like a fourth plus Hutton for Smith and Maata would work

Buffalo takes a cap dump but gets a younger 2nd pair LHD for cheap and gives back a goalie contract so they can sign an upgrade to pair with their young G

Hawks get a backup to Craw or whatever direction they go as starter and move some cap
Hate to admit but I would say yes, 6m out 3m in.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wrong again. Spent most of his time with Kahun and DeBrincat and then with Debrincat and Perlini. He spent only 30% of his time with Kane and even then the majority of his production was with Kahun-Debrincat and DeBrincat-Perlini.

As I said earlier, its okay to be wrong

Screen-Shot-2020-09-22-at-12-49-48-PM.png

He also scored about 60% of his ES points with Kane on the ice.

ETA: Also, in 18-19, while Strome's most common line combo did not include Kane, the 2nd and 3rd most common do and account for, just as in 19-20, about 30% of his total ES time.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Screen-Shot-2020-09-22-at-12-49-48-PM.png

He also scored about 60% of his ES points with Kane on the ice.

ETA: Also, in 18-19, while Strome's most common line combo did not include Kane, the 2nd and 3rd most common do and account for, just as in 19-20, about 30% of his total ES time.

If you replace Kane with Debrincat then youd be right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad