Value of: Saad to the Sabres

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
No idea what the asking price would be. Saad's 6 million cap hit and $6.5 million in real dollars probably takes out most teams in the league. I am not saying he is a cap dump, what does Chicago need? Something around Montour?

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I imagine the Hawks would retain 50% and just look for the highest pick/best prospect they can get. I don’t think a 1st is out of the question, in fact I think that’s pretty fair. Maybe that needs to wait until the deadline, though.

I don’t see anyway Montour is of interest to the Hawks. He’s a RD, he’s looking for a raise, and he’s closing in on UFA status. Hawks have Seabrook, Boqvist, and Murphy already on the right side with Mitchell pushing for a spot and Regula coming in the next few years. They have decisions to make at RD as is and need to cut salary from the bottom half of their lineup.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No idea what the asking price would be. Saad's 6 million cap hit and $6.5 million in real dollars probably takes out most teams in the league. I am not saying he is a cap dump, what does Chicago need? Something around Montour?
Before you guys acquired Staal, I would have said Strome and Saad for 8OA, but now that's not going to work.

I had that same proposal a few months ago.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I mean, that was never going to work. Strome just isn't that good.

"Panarin isn't actually that good, he plays with Kane"

Strome has produced everywhere he's been except Arizona. I'm not saying Strome is Panarin, but to dismiss that he's just not good because he's playing with Kane is ridiculous.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I’d venture to say Chicago thinks they can get this turned around and compete faster than originally thought. I’d guess they don’t want to move Saad In a pure futures deal, unless it’s 8th overall lol

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Strome has produced everywhere he's been except Arizona. I'm not saying Strome is Panarin, but to dismiss that he's just not good because he's playing with Kane is ridiculous.

Nobody said anything about him playing with Kane. He just isn't that good of a hockey player to even consider trading the 8th oa pick for .. with or without saad

Reactions: Eichel9

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Nobody said anything about him playing with Kane. He just isn't that good of a hockey player to even consider trading the 8th oa pick for .. with or without saad
60 point centers don't grow on trees. That's what he's been since being traded to Chicago.
If you want to complain about his skating that's fine, but dude just puts up points.

Reactions: qqaz

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

He's a one-way player who can't skate and did nothing at the NHL level until he played with Kane.
Also, if he were worth anything close to that, Chicago fans would be gushing about going forward with a 1-2 punch of Dach + Strome instead of throwing him in every trade proposal they can.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He's a one-way player who can't skate and did nothing at the NHL level until he played with Kane.
Also, if he were worth anything close to that, Chicago fans would be gushing about going forward with a 1-2 punch of Dach + Strome instead of throwing him in every trade proposal they can.
The only reason why we're throwing him in every proposal is because we can't afford him.
Ideally, we'd love to keep Strome around. While he's a very good offensive player, The hawks have plenty of offense only forwards and not enough two way guys. If it wasn't for the flat cap, Strome would be unavailable and we'd be building around him and Dach.

Reactions: thesaadfather

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Because I don't believe Pegula wants to. He has never shown himself to be cheap when it comes to spending for hockey talent. I think we would have to have an awful lot of young guys on roster to even make that possible.. like Cozens, Mitts, Thompson, Borgen, #8 pick and maybe even another Rochester Dman would have to be in line up to fill all the positions we have to fill this year.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The only reason why we're throwing him in every proposal is because we can't afford him.
Ideally, we'd love to keep Strome around.
It's not his presence in proposals but that fact that he's grossly overvalued in them that bothers people. If you were Buffalo, would you consider trading a lottery pick for Strome and Saad?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It's not his presence in proposals but that fact that he's grossly overvalued in them that bothers people. If you were Buffalo, would you consider trading a lottery pick for Strome and Saad?
Yeah, because Strome is 23 and you know you're getting at least 50 points out of him, with the potential for much more. Saad is a very good 2 way forward and he's a guy that helps win Stanley Cups. Furthermore, Saad would fetch an absolute haul as a TDL rental if the Sabres fall out of it. He'd get a 1st+B prospect easily and be among the top rentals available.

Strome is a long-term 2C solution, and helps you win right now. Buffalo needs guys that can help now vs. waiting on another 8th overall pick, and those guys can go sideways as you well know with Nylander and Mittelstadt.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Teams are not really good fit for trade

The futures Hawks would be interested in are likely not available in a potential trade (Cozens or Sabres 1st in 2021 are examples of asset Hawks would have interest in)

Sabres are rebuilding/budget team so why acquire a top 6 RW who is a year away from UFA?

Also a guy like Montour also wouldn't be of much interest to Hawks who have Murphy , Boqvist , Koekkoek , de Haan and Seabrook on NHL roster for RD and a guy like Mitchell who will be trying to win spot as well

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yeah, because Strome is 23 and you know you're getting at least 50 points out of him, with the potential for much more. Saad is a very good 2 way forward and he's a guy that helps win Stanley Cups. Furthermore, Saad would fetch an absolute haul as a TDL rental if the Sabres fall out of it. He'd get a 1st+B prospect easily and be among the top rentals available.
I don't think you actually believe Buffalo would make that trade.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't think you actually believe Buffalo would make that trade.

If I were Buffalo I'd take it and run. It would be an easy yes. It's more than fair.
As a Chicago fan I'd think it was a little light to be honest. The only reason why it's acceptable is because of the cap situation.

You guys are undervaluing both players. If the cap were not a thing, the Hawks would keep both guys.

At some point you guys have to go for it and stop waiting for all of your draft picks to get good together. The last thing the Sabres need is yet another 8th overall pick. I have a buddy who is a Sabres fan and he said he'd make that trade yesterday.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Ideally, we'd love to keep Strome around. While he's a very good offensive player, The hawks have plenty of offense only forwards and not enough two way guys. If it wasn't for the flat cap, Strome would be unavailable and we'd be building around him and Dach.

It’s more like being a house flipper using shoddy material that falls apart.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad