Rumor: Saad Speculation by Friedman

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
From Friedman's most recent 30 Thoughts:

7. Speaking of forwards, very curious to see where things go with Columbus and Brandon Saad. He’s fifth on the Blue Jackets in scoring, fifth in time-on-ice among forwards. But he was almost a healthy scratch last week and, somewhere, the team wants to ease its cap crunch. Chicago investigated it last season, but couldn’t make things work. He’s 24 years old and has a lot to give.

All I can say is what in the world is he speculating? We are no longer in a major cap crunch. Seems like he is pulling this out of his ass. Discuss....

zelbell

Oct 6, 2014
Columbus
this feels like a non-story

Jarmo isn't trading Saad for anything less than a haul that hypothetically includes a #1C

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Chicago investigated what last season? Trying to keep him? Or trading back for him after they traded him away? I don't get it.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
If we get rid of another star because our coach doesn't like him, do we start to blame the coach or do we still assume that the players are all lazy?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Friedman is like the league-wide answer to Portzline. With actual sources (which they get pretty often), they're excellent. But one must learn to recognize when they're speculating, because they're... not good at it.

Friedman doesn't try to speculate quite as often as Porty, but when he does...

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
If we get rid of another star because our coach doesn't like him, do we start to blame the coach or do we still assume that the players are all lazy?

That's reading quite a bit into a "thought."

I thought Torts' handling of Saad was fine, and I thought Saad's reaction was even better. Seems like a non-story to me, but it's called "30 Thoughts" so he's gotta come up with 30 somehow.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
From Friedman's most recent 30 Thoughts:

All I can say is what in the world is he speculating? We are no longer in a major cap crunch. Seems like he is pulling this out of his ass. Discuss....

If we are committed to winning - which I see no reason in the world why we wouldn't be- then there is absolutely nothing to this. Brandon Saad is part of our future, I could see us more likely to shed Hartnell, but don't see any reason for that either.

As a fan I am optimistic that we are playing well and have some folks that haven't hit their stride yet. Jenner, Dub, Saad getting Jones healthy- we have more in the tank

p.s. I never bought or received as a gift, Saader's jersey so he is also safe in that regard. (Voracek, Umberger, Werenski, Johansen)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's just speculating. Cites no sources at all that were trying to trade him.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
That's reading quite a bit into a "thought."

I thought Torts' handling of Saad was fine, and I thought Saad's reaction was even better. Seems like a non-story to me, but it's called "30 Thoughts" so he's gotta come up with 30 somehow.

Friedmanns legit. It probably won't happen, but Friedmann isn't Eklund.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Friedmanns legit. It probably won't happen, but Friedmann isn't Eklund.

Yeah, I know. But as it's already been said, speculation is still just speculation and may mean abslutely nothing. Something can appear as a "thought" in his column if he thinks there's a .1% chance and if there's a 99.9% chance - he just isn't transparent about the probability like Eklund is. :P

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Friedman is like the league-wide answer to Portzline. With actual sources (which they get pretty often), they're excellent. But one must learn to recognize when they're speculating, because they're... not good at it.

Friedman doesn't try to speculate quite as often as Porty, but when he does...

cookie_PNG13641.png

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Friedman has to come up with 30 of these things a week. Whenever a player is a surprise scratch, it makes his job easier. Not sure it goes much farther than that.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
While I generally enjoy Friedman's '30 Thoughts' pieces... I enjoy them knowing a lot of it is pure speculation.

But hey.. if Chicago wants to do Toews for Saad + Clarkson.. I'm game. :sarcasm:
(before commenting on this, please note the sarcasm, thank you)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
...He prefers Dos Equis? :D

Stay credulous, my friends. :nod: ;)

* * *​
While I generally enjoy Friedman's '30 Thoughts' pieces... I enjoy them knowing a lot of it is pure speculation.

But hey.. if Chicago wants to do Toews for Saad + Clarkson.. I'm game. :sarcasm:
(before commenting on this, please note the sarcasm, thank you)
Given that we're using Clarkson's LTIR space, that would still put us over the cap. ;)

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Stay credulous, my friends. :nod: ;)

* * *​

Given that we're using Clarkson's LTIR space, that would still put us over the cap. ;)

I knew the cap comment was coming.. hence my the bvious sarcasm.. but thank you. :nod:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
he may not be scoring like we'd hoped, but he helps, b/c teams still need to recognize his skill and talent. So we can move him around the line up and make teams respect him on the ice b/c he could get going at any point...

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
he may not be scoring like we'd hoped, but he helps, b/c teams still need to recognize his skill and talent. So we can move him around the line up and make teams respect him on the ice b/c he could get going at any point...
Are you talking about Saad? He has 12 points in 14 games and he's on pace for another ~25 goal season.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Yeah, I know. But as it's already been said, speculation is still just speculation and may mean abslutely nothing. Something can appear as a "thought" in his column if he thinks there's a .1% chance and if there's a 99.9% chance - he just isn't transparent about the probability like Eklund is. :P

I think there's something to the "Tortorella doesn't like him" stuff. They put on a happy face about it for the media, sure, but ask Johansen and Tyutin how that worked out for them.

My personal opinion. And wasn't Friedmann one of the first to report that Johansen was in play? I recall a very similar reaction on here.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think there's something to the "Tortorella doesn't like him" stuff. They put on a happy face about it for the media, sure, but ask Johansen and Tyutin how that worked out for them.

My personal opinion. And wasn't Friedmann one of the first to report that Johansen was in play? I recall a very similar reaction on here.

If those are the 2 main examples, then I think Torts has done a good job not liking the right people so far.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think theres as much to this as there is to Torts not liking Hartnell. Hes trying to put in place a complete culture change and guys like those 2 have either been around for a long time or been on a winner so they are easy targets if he sees something he doesnt like to set an example and get everyones attention

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad