Speculation: Saad on Team USA?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Saad has been consistent all year long and seems to be getting put on more mock rosters.

I can see team USA going with 5 centers which would make it hard for Saad to make it, but Kessel can play C as well, so maybe that is an option.

If it came down to Wheeler, Saad, Galchenyuk, and Pominville for that last spot, I don't know how team USA would pick it, but Saad and Wheeler would be the top 2 to battle it out imo.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
http://nhl.si.com/2013/12/09/team-u...r-sochi-olympics-could-be-americas-best-ever/

Listed as an "Extra" over the likes of Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Alex Galchenyuk, Chris Kreider, Kyle Okposo, Derek Stepan who are, according to the article "On The Outside."

It's all speculation but interesting nonetheless.

The way Saad is playing it be difficult NOT to have him on the roster.

Saads a beast.

He's above average in just about every attribute, factor in his size and style and you have a complete hockey player - a true power forward that can skate, play defense and is creative offensively - I think I have a serious man crush on Saad haha...

CertainAffinity*

I think he should go... but I'm Canadian so I hope he doesn't. I want know part of a Kane/Saad/Pavelski line.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Saads +/- numbers has the others beat by a mile. His 2 way game is excellent... plus his cup pedigree.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I think he should go... but I'm Canadian so I hope he doesn't. I want know part of a Kane/Saad/Pavelski line.

"no"

What makes you think they will play with Pavelski? Did they play last time together? I cant remember, I do remember Kane playing with Parise if I am not mistaken.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
If Sharp and Saad make it that's our entire top 6 going along with (likely) our top 3 defenseman. I honestly hope CC does not go because he isn't likely to get any game time so for him it would just be additional travel.

Short summer, Olympics, defending champs; it all adds up and makes it that much harder. I guess one thing we have in our favor is that our guys have a lot of experience, so hopefully they know how to pace themselves and rest as much as they can when the opportunities are present.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
If Sharp and Saad make it that's our entire top 6 going along with (likely) our top 3 defenseman. I honestly hope CC does not go because he isn't likely to get any game time so for him it would just be additional travel.

Short summer, Olympics, defending champs; it all adds up and makes it that much harder. I guess one thing we have in our favor is that our guys have a lot of experience, so hopefully they know how to pace themselves and rest as much as they can when the opportunities are present.

That's why I worry less about all these factors you listed. The bulk of these guys have been through a lot of this before. It's certainly a factor and I'm not discounting it, but like you said, they've been there and done that. I think that means something and makes a big difference.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

I don't recall if Handzus is Czech or Slovak - but in either case I have to think those teams have better options than a slow Handzus on the large Olympic ice.

But even then - 5 out of 6 ain't bad.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
That's why I worry less about all these factors you listed. The bulk of these guys have been through a lot of this before. It's certainly a factor and I'm not discounting it, but like you said, they've been there and done that. I think that means something and makes a big difference.

Absolutely. Our longer serving vets aside, to have young guys like Kruger, Saad, Shaw who have already been through it and won is a real asset. These guys know the price because they have already paid it. That is extremely rare experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad