Speculation: Saad on Team USA?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'd be surprised if Callahan doesn't make it and I think stepan has a good chance. Saad's definitely still in consideration bc they were saying it on tsn last week.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Callahan is on the outside??? Haven't watched him at all this year, did his play really drop off?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Callahan is on the outside??? Haven't watched him at all this year, did his play really drop off?

He's coming back from being out injured. I think it was shoulder.

The thing is that at the us summer Olympic camp they named their "leadership group" and Callahan was on it...so it would be really awkward if he wasn't on the Olympic team

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Callahan is going to be there. Saad is playing his way into being a difficult cut but I can't see them taking him ahead of more experienced guys.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think he is a better fit than Dustin Brown, but not sure you can take him out.

I can't see him being an extra over Callahan, Pominville, or Stepan.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Jonny's inclusion on Team Canada in 2010 was initially thought of by many as pretty much as an extra guy. I wouldn't expect Saad (or anyone for that matter) to replicate Jonny's performance but if you make the club who knows where it goes, and Saad strikes me as a guy who has it in him to become a big game performer.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
would love to see Saad make it, but team USA will go with 5 centers as Stepan likely makes this team. Pominville doesn't have a shot imo, so maybe slot out Pominville and add Stepan while keeping Saad as an extra is a possibility.

Saad has earned a spot on this team, but it is a numbers game and USA has tons of talent to pick from, no easy task.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Jonny's inclusion on Team Canada in 2010 was initially thought of by many as pretty much as an extra guy. I wouldn't expect Saad (or anyone for that matter) to replicate Jonny's performance but if you make the club who knows where it goes, and Saad strikes me as a guy who has it in him to become a big game performer.

very good point. anything can happen when you make the team in any capacity.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I think he is a better fit than Dustin Brown, but not sure you can take him out.

I can't see him being an extra over Callahan, Pominville, or Stepan.

Dustin Brown is another member of the "leadership group" they announced over the summer. So even though he's been bad this year, he'll probably be there.

I thought it was really weird USA hockey would name a "leadership group" of players during the summer.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Dustin Brown is another member of the "leadership group" they announced over the summer. So even though he's been bad this year, he'll probably be there.

I thought it was really weird USA hockey would name a "leadership group" of players during the summer.

maybe a bit weird, but who would of thought that two of team USA's Captains (Callahan and Brown) would be struggling this year? these guys are heart and soul type players that have netted 30 goals in a season, I for one never for a second thought their place would not be safe on this team.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I consider it a good problem to have in that the US has enough of a talent pool to pick from that Saad could be an odd man out. I'd love for him to make it, but not sure that's going to happen. He should be there for sure the next time around, as should Leddy.

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
I think it goes well beyond the numbers. Saad has come so far in the past 10 months. So strong on the puck. Tremendous board work. Ridiculous stickhandling and vision for a young guy. Eyes in back of his head. Not seeing how you don't give him a serious look.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
i don't think he'll make it. he hasn't "paid his dues", most likely. That said, I think he at least deserves a serious look.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
something that helps saad's case a lot is how versatile he is re the 4 lines. he can make an impact both in the top 6 and the bottom 6. he's also more defensively responsible at a young age than some players will be in a lifetime...and of course brings decent(++) offensive ability.

apparently leddy isn't totally off the radar himself - although i doubt he'll there. fwiw usa hockey obviously thinks very highly about him that, although chances are remote, he isn't just an after thought.

i think it's going to be a really great tournament. i really, really, really (really!) hope it's not the NHL's last time at the Olympics. I know the league doesn't love being there. It seems the players do - so I just hope they push to go again for S. Korea and Fehr or whoever holds Bettman hostage when he wants to set up the World Cup (ie insisting on olympic commitment). we'll see.

edit

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 53s
#NYR Callahan has Grade 2 MCL sprain. Will be out 4-6 weeks

so that puts him to the end of january, no?

Last edited:

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
something that helps saad's case a lot is how versatile he is re the 4 lines. he can make an impact both in the top 6 and the bottom 6. he's also more defensively responsible at a young age than some players will be in a lifetime...and of course brings decent(++) offensive ability.

apparently leddy isn't totally off the radar himself - although i doubt he'll there. fwiw usa hockey obviously thinks very highly about him that, although chances are remote, he isn't just an after thought.

i think it's going to be a really great tournament. i really, really, really (really!) hope it's not the NHL's last time at the Olympics. I know the league doesn't love being there. It seems the players do - so I just hope they push to go again for S. Korea and Fehr or whoever holds Bettman hostage when he wants to set up the World Cup (ie insisting on olympic commitment). we'll see.

edit

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 53s
#NYR Callahan has Grade 2 MCL sprain. Will be out 4-6 weeks

so that puts him to the end of january, no?

Leddy has done nothing to make USA team management think that he would not help them come tournament time. Remember, the people selecting the players have their own jobs to worry about too.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Callahan going down pretty much rules him out. I will find it hard for team USA to take a chance on him getting healthy so close to when the tournament begins. Plus it is not like he has been playing that great of late, but still a loss as his leadership skills and grit would have been perfect as a 4th liner.

Now opens the door for Saad. I have to believe a spot is his to lose now with Callahan a big question mark.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
I'd like to see him line up with Kane a little more and demonstrate that he has chemistry with Team USA's best player... would just further show his versatility.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00