#'s for new Oilers

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I believe when the oilers twitter did the QOA's, one fan in particular asked what jersey # would Draisaitl like, and he said he wanted 29. I think he'll have it by the opening season.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
I'd love to see them switch to those numbers.
I also approve of Yakupov's switch to number 10.
Just need to convince Hopkins to move to 19.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I believe when the oilers twitter did the QOA's, one fan in particular asked what jersey # would Draisaitl like, and he said he wanted 29. I think he'll have it by the opening season.

I hope so. #55 brings back cringeful memories of Ben Eager... and Igor Ulanov...

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Why would Drais not get his choice of 29?
That seems rediculous to force another number on the kid. He made the team, its not retired...its his.

Btw...loved "pain doesnt hurt" Igor

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Why would Drais not get his choice of 29?
That seems rediculous to force another number on the kid. He made the team, its not retired...its his.

Btw...loved igor.

55 was a training camp number, you earn your spot on the team, which then earns you the right to pick your number

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
hey now, Igor was a legend, if the team shows half the heart of what Ulanov played with, the Oilers will be competing for a playoff spot

Posters here readily make fun of Ulanov, but the guy played with more heart than anyone on the team played with last year.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Posters here readily make fun of Ulanov, but the guy played with more heart than anyone on the team played with last year.

Yeah I always liked him, I guess I take that back. I recall meeting him once too...nice guy too.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

I was always a big fan of Ulanov. The man kept things simple and was never shying away from taking some hurt to make a play. Infact he played for us twice but when he first signed with us and came up from conditioning in the ahl he made an immediate impact. Mact threw him out onto what had been a woeful slumping pp. The guy simply put pucks to the net...not hard, not fast, but always seemed to get them threw to either the pads of the goalie or just in the crease. Amazing thing happened, guys going to the net and goals.
Myself and a few friends really wanted ulanov in net versus the canes in 06. He was one of the black aces and the hurricanes were deep with finesse guys. The theory was the canes were the one team deeper than us that we had seen in the playoffs. They had a fourth line that included older but offensive vets doug weight and mark recchi. Figuring it would be a long series the feeling was ulanov would be better than tarnstrom or MAB at pounding their third and fourth liners and also PKing so Pronger and Spacek could be fresher. (spacek needed all the rest he could get since his d partner staios was terrible SJ series onward). Ulanov was the other extra dman that was with the team through the entire postseason.

One thing is for sure. Ulanov doesnt check williams into his own goalie. Personally i dont think that fourth line..and possibly third line...would have been able to survive four games against ulanov. You could pretty much count on him crushing one of them each a game. And with the rules changing to tough hockey for the playoffs...the issues that hurt him in the regular season wouldnt have been there. Plus his d partner from the start of the season...cory cross...was told to retire.

Met him twice...hes a gem.

There was a picture of Ulanov getting into the tub full of ice after a game...and just littered with bruises and welts....
THAT PICTURE SHOULD BE IN THE OILERS DRESSING ROOM...with his "PAIN DOESNT HURT" quote.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
What makes a "boring" number?

Sports fans are crazy

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
What makes a "boring" number?

Sports fans are crazy

I dunno, there's no history in those numbers (only 29s I can think of are goalies) and no personality (like Yak's old 64). I know, it's weird. I'm weird.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
So there's no history because people don't wear them often but no personality because they aren't unique?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad