Rumor: Ryder isn't coming back (according to his agent)

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Ryder's point spree is party what got us to second place and his slump coincided with the team sinking.

I'll echo what others here said that we'll miss his production but at the same time he was nowere to be seen at the end yet still on the team.

We need to acquire a key winger or hope none of the Gallys have sophomore slumps.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Bergevin has to look to the future. He won't have to spend anything on Ryder (or Cole) and it's time to try inexpensive prospects in the hope that one of them will click.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
He did everything that was expected of him during the season, lost a step and faltered in the playoffs. For his worth, he earned his pay and played well with the Habs. In return, Bergevin frees up some more cap space and in the process, has another draft pick in the top 90 to let Timmins work with.

Best of luck to Ryder. Based on his season performance, he'll earn $3-4 million per season, on likely a 2-3 year contract.

This.

He's a nice guy and shows flashes of genius during the regular season. He'll sign somewhere for 3-5 years for decent cash. The problem with him here is that he disappears in the playoffs because there is no one on the team to create space for him. Based purely on getting rid of Cole's contact this trade was a win.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
Bergevin has to look to the future... it's time to try inexpensive prospects in the hope that one of them will click.

I see a lot of potential in this Patrick Stewart kid.

patrick-stewart-300.jpg

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He was excellent for us, not sure why the hate. 99% of this team dried up in the playoffs, Ryder wasn't alone. Amazing how the homers here can go from loving a guy, to hating him, in 2 games.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If Bickell or Stahlberg only wanted $2.5 million, Chicago would just keep one or both of them

I'd say they'd sign Bickell at 3.5 mil. Stalberg I think they'll let walk with their kids on the way(Morin Hayes Pirri LeBlanc) maybe they replace Bickell with Beach if he costs too much.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
He was excellent for us, not sure why the hate. 99% of this team dried up in the playoffs, Ryder wasn't alone. Amazing how the homers here can go from loving a guy, to hating him, in 2 games.

I'll speak for myself: I knew what we were getting and he was who I knew he is. Look, guy can score. I see him as a useful passenger. I don't feel he's part of the solution. Doesn't mean he's hated.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I'll speak for myself: I knew what we were getting and he was who I knew he is. Look, guy can score. I see him as a useful passenger. I don't feel he's part of the solution. Doesn't mean he's hated.

I'd have more confidence if most the guys people are talking about as replacements weren't worse at playing hockey.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Love the way Bickell is playing in the playoffs but some poor team is going to overpay him big time to score 10 regular season goals a year

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Can't say I'm surprised. Goes on hot streaks then plays lazy, uninspired hockey.

Plus, like I stated previously, he can likely get as high as 5 million per on the open market in a weak year. No thanks.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Love the way Bickell is playing in the playoffs but some poor team is going to overpay him big time to score 10 regular season goals a year

I wouldn't knock Bickell's scoring too much. He plays primarily as a checker with Bolland and didn't play with Toews et al much and still put up above average scoring totals on even strength over the past 3 seasons. Keep in mind, its very, very hard to consistently get 20 goals without PP time. Doubly so when you also aren't on a top scoring unit.

He hasn't proven he's anything more than a 3rd line LW, but he's been terrific in that role.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I wouldn't knock Bickell's scoring too much. He plays primarily as a checker with Bolland and didn't play with Toews et al much and still put up above average scoring totals on even strength over the past 3 seasons. Keep in mind, its very, very hard to consistently get 20 goals without PP time. Doubly so when you also aren't on a top scoring unit.

He hasn't proven he's anything more than a 3rd line LW, but he's been terrific in that role.

Problem is, if he hits UFA and the cost is above 4 mil/year you better be sure he can play in your top 6, 4+ mil for 3rd line winger is too much. Especially over 3-4 years, if he struggles to score then can't be moved it then becomes a cap drag.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Problem is, if he hits UFA and the cost is above 4 mil/year you better be sure he can play in your top 6, 4+ mil for 3rd line winger is too much. Especially over 3-4 years, if he struggles to score then can't be moved it then becomes a cap drag.

Pretty much. But then we should be talking about how this is an unfortunate reality of managing the cap. Because there is a good chance the Habs will be worse for not having Ryder next season.

Given that Gionta is aging out, and the Habs have cap space, going out and getting another quality winger should be on the radar.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Pretty much. But then we should be talking about how this is an unfortunate reality of managing the cap. Because there is a good chance the Habs will be worse for not having Ryder next season.

Given that Gionta is aging out, and the Habs have cap space, going out and getting another quality winger should be on the radar.

Here's my thing about the cap, before July 1st, I believe we'll need to fill 2 roster spots with about 8 million in cap space.

Assuming you're a smart GM and save 2 million in cap space for the deadline to add a key player possibly if you're in the hunt sort of deal, that leaves us about 6 million in cap space.

IMO, we need another top 4 defenseman to fill in for 1-2 years before Tinordi is ready to move up the depth chart and Beaulieu is ready to replace Markov. I think that should be a bigger priority as the defense, IMO is what was one of our weaker points down the stretch. Gallagher and Galchenyuk (barring a sophmore slump) can look after Ryder's production and maybe a Top 9 RW like say, Chad LaRose would be a good plug to put in until Kristo/Collberg/whoever is ready to make the jump to the NHL. Until then, spend 4 million on Regehr as our Top 4 D acquisition on a 2 year term deal and spend 2 million on LaRose on a 2-3 year deal to fill in till the prospect(s) are ready.

Gionta i don't think he's aging out as much as he's injuring out. Had he not been injured this past year, he would still be scoring 20-25 goals a season.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's 33 years old. With the way the team's cap is structured long term it's no surprise.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah, there's no reason to keep him based on what he brings to the team. Hopefully they realize Mantha's upside is Ryder and don't waste a pick on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad