Confirmed with Link: Ryane Clowe to Rangers for NYR 2013 2nd, FLA 2013 3rd, Conditional 2nd 2014

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
3 years, $4M per for Clowe?

Sure. Would be a little tight cap wise next season, but beyond that, it'd be a good contract, IMO. Cap's definitely going back up again.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
All 3 of those guys added cheap homegrown toughnmess, I didnt say they are Clowe. My point is you can find toughness in the draft and have it worked into a Cup winner. Clowe was brought in mostly for his 'jam' (ugh).

Lovely. I love how you still make it sound so easy to find them. My God, man! Why are you not a scout. You would have this team turned around yesterday!

He asked when have I been wrong, I gave him a recent outline, I included every player I liked at our spot, no hindsight, all this info is available if you search the old threads.

No. He asked for this: "This year, I want you to post a mock draft for the Rangers. Not just guys that you like, but I want you to make each selection. Single player each round. Then we can evaluate in a few years."

You provided some past drafts. That's not what was requested.

Byers was an injuryfest all through his development, but the injuries mean nothing?? Classic Jon....

Uh, Byers had one season where injuries killed him. 09/10. Every other season he was playing 70+ games in the AHL. The only time he ever payed under 50 games in the WHL was his rookie year. So no. Injuries did not mean much to his development.

Sauer was also an injuryfest, and a player I liked very much, but would have never drafted knowing the injuries were blatantly obvious.

Uh, even with his injuries he is still a solid pick. We have gotten 100 games out of the kid. That's more than you'll get than most 2nd rounders. His career is not over (and I am not an optimist with him right now), but it was a solid pick with some really high upside (funny, you seem to like upside prior to the draft but are the first one to rip on the team for taking a high upside guy when he busts!).

Look -- you are a very solid poster on here. But you are straight up obnoxious with the cherry picking of stuff and your constant attempt to try and point out things people have been wrong with.

The difference between you and me? I don't go looking through your past and try and act like an ass to you every time you post. As one of the more arrogant posters here in terms of my own belief of my evaluation skills, you make me look like I have the "arrogance" of the Biblical Job. I have been pretty mum about all of this for years, but I feel the need to address that now. It's one thing to be arrogant. Some swag and arrogance is quite useful (particularly for me going into the field of law). But it's another to be smug about it.

Just my two cents. And I think it's telling that I am the one saying that. Of all people. You need to chill out with that, bro. I'd never say anything I didn't feel, so this is about as honest as you'll get from anyone on here.

I love ya, but please take that advice.

No, I'd hire SBOB for GM, Edge for head scout, talent evaluator. You, Sting, BRB, TRXW, Gagline, Bob, and Jon are all capable NA scouts ;)

I am no longer capable of that, unfortunately. I'm behind the times with law school on my docket.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
3 years, $4M per for Clowe?

Sure. Would be a little tight cap wise next season, but beyond that, it'd be a good contract, IMO. Cap's definitely going back up again.

What if it has to be four years, $4.5 million per? Pay or walk?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
At $4-4.5 million per?

EASILY.

Aside from this season where his shoulder has limited his shooting ability (same as Gabby) this is what Clowe had been averaging.

20 goals a year
30+ assists a year
95 PIM's

He provides the Rangers with something we do not have on the current roster or in the system for that matter.

What he brings to the table, the team lacks.

a 50 point player that can provide policing for his linemates?

Yeah, easily give him 4.5 over 4 years.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Horrible comparison. Dubinsky signed a four year contract which ends when he's 28 years old, still in his prime. Clowe's contract would take him through age 35.

Surely you can do better than that...:(

How is it a horrible comparison? Clowe is a better player than Dubi. Dubi will never be as good as Clowe. If anything, it's an entirely fair contract.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Okay, but If you say jam, just once, I'm calling Renney, see what he's up to :p:

You can find him at the nearest Men's Warehouse, buying all the plaid suits.

What if it has to be four years, $4.5 million per? Pay or walk?

Tough one. I'd be inclined to say pay him, but for that contract, I'd like to see how he performs here yet before I make judgment.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
I'm still pretty luke-warm on the trade. I mean this team needs grittiness and toughness yes, but it needs goal scorers. If he can provide that, awesome trade.

I'm still confused as to why we basically just dealt for a Prust-type when we could have just signed him, to the same type deal, without giving up draft picks.

Everyone is high on Clowe and he's a big name, for whatever reason, but I thought there was better fits out there for our needs.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers could flip 2 of the 3rd rounders for a 2nd. Keep the other 3rd. They should move Gaborik for futures. The Rangers,Columbus and Nashville picks should be in the same general area.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Rangers could flip 2 of the 3rd rounders for a 2nd. Keep the other 3rd. They should move Gaborik for futures. The Rangers,Columbus and Nashville picks should be in the same general area.

I am pretty sure that they will be flipping two of the 3rds for a 2nd. Gotta think that is the idea.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
EASILY.

Aside from this season where his shoulder has limited his shooting ability (same as Gabby) this is what Clowe had been averaging.

20 goals a year
30+ assists a year
95 PIM's

He provides the Rangers with something we do not have on the current roster or in the system for that matter.

What he brings to the table, the team lacks.

a 50 point player that can provide policing for his linemates?

Yeah, easily give him 4.5 over 4 years.

Easily, huh?

Yep, those were his stats from when he was 25-29 years old. He's already showing signs of wear, and you want to give him four years at $4.5 million per, paying him up until he's 35 for what he did in his mid to late 20's.

Jeez...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yep, those were his stats from when he was 25-29 years old. He's already showing signs of wear, and you want to give him four years at $4.5 million per, paying him up until he's 35 for what he did in his mid to late 20's.

Jeez...

Who would want a better version of Dubi at the same price of Dubi?

BAH GAWD, KING! :D

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Jeez...

Right and no player in the history of the NHL has had a down season?

I would bet that his numbers next season are back in the 20/30 range.

Unfortunately it will be with Philly or some other team that understands what it means to have tough physical players.

Let the Rangers draft and acquire the soft "cerebral" guys

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Yeah 'whenever we want', thats exactly what I'm saying.

Btw, were you the one who said Brandon Saad was garbage? Been waiting to see what you were gonna say about him now that he's an NHL'er.

Means nothing.

List all the players within 10 picks of all those players, that'll make more sense.

I provided a baseline to make my point. Do the research yourself to make yours.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
So let's say best case scenario, Clowe pulls an Antropov and has a nice little rental season for us...would you spend $4 - 4.5 million per for four years on Clowe?

Best case scenario for a guy like Clowe would be way different than Antropov. Antro scored some points and that was it. If he comes even close to as adverstied, Clowe should do a lot more than that. If he can have a Prust-like effect on the team and give them the confidence and swag that they so desperately lack right now, then yeah, maybe that sort of contract is smart. It's impossible to say without seeing how it all plays out, but Clowe's best case scenario should offer a lot more than Antropov did.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Sort of unrelated, but . . . Do we have ANY cerebral guys? That's actually a complaint of mine. It's a team full of Pejorative Slurs. And our top two prospects only add to that (Miller and Kreider). I seriously think on offense only Stepan, Nash and Richards are smart players.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Unfortunately it will be with Philly or some other team that understands what it means to have tough physical players.

Silly comparison....this is not about 'tough physical players' versus 'soft cerebral guys' and you know it. It's about giving out $4.5 million of cap space to Clowe for four years when he's 31 years old and has already showed signs of wear.

The Flyers overpaid for the 'soft cerebral' Danny Briere too.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Silly comparison....this is not about 'tough physical players' versus 'soft cerebral guys' and you know it. It's about giving out $4.5 million of cap space to Clowe for four years when he's 31 years old and has already showed signs of injury.

I am nearly 31. 3 more years after this June. Guess I should just kill myself now before I hit that age. Rather go out now than be 31 and have to be put in a home.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I am nearly 31. 3 more years after this June. Guess I should just kill myself now before I hit that age. Rather go out now than be 31 and have to be put in a home.

31 year old Clowe is like a 35 year old Gaborik.. and you know it. guys like that age a lot faster. Adam Graves type mileage on that body...when Gravey hit 32 his body just fell apart.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

I hope our pick is much later than those 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad