Confirmed with Link: Ryane Clowe to Rangers for NYR 2013 2nd, FLA 2013 3rd, Conditional 2nd 2014

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Clowe is Prust on steroids. It's what doctor ordered for the Rangers.
Why do you need goals from every*****one? Its not a Fantasy League.
Picks-schmicks... Most of the picks outside the 1st round do not make it to NHL.
What are the odds that any of those picks will become Ryan Clowe?
Close to ZERO.
It's an excellent trade if he signs. It is an okay trade if he walks. I doubt the latter.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
He's asking for future picks. Not hindsight picks.

And first to admit? More like the first to try and discredit other people by cherrypicking out stuff from years ago, amirite?

Because when you were wrong, you were so certain that you were not. You said Saad was garbage, look how quickly that took to prove you wrong. I never even went that far with Mcilrath, a pick I question to this day. But I realize he has value, he's not the extremes either side of the argument makes him out to be. But you do that, you jump to an absolute extreme, thats why I call you out like JPP ;)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Since YOU asked, I will do that ;)

I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong about prospects. My record has been pretty good of late. My worst picks were easily pre 2005 when I was a young sproutling like many of the posters on this board right now. I was a big AJ Thelen fan in '04. Voloshenko & Lyamin also in '04 2nd round when we had 4 picks. In 2005 I was cautious about Staal, but didn't dislike the pick, was more bummed out about our draft slot.

Our #1 picks:
2006 - Grabner, C Stewart, D Persson
2007 - Pacioretty, Petrecki, Backlund
2008 - Karlsson, Eberle, Jared Staal
2009 - Kassian, Ferraro, Moore
2010 - Johansen, Tarasenko, Granlund, Kuznetsov, Forbort
2011 - Scheifele, McNeil, Armia
2012 - Wilson, Gaunce, Thrower, Vasilevski

Well, then we need to hire you to run our scouting department goddammit. :laugh:

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
All indications are they are trying to sign him long term?

Throwing a long-term contract at a guy who will be 31 when next season starts, and has already showed signs of slowing down? Even worse...let's hope your 'indications' turn out to be wrong.

Clowe makes more sense as a rental.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Because when you were wrong, you were so certain that you were not. You said Saad was garbage, look how quickly that took to prove you wrong. I never even went that far with Mcilrath, a pick I question to this day. But I realize he has value, he's not the extremes either side of the argument makes him out to be. But you do that, you jump to an absolute extreme, thats why I call you out like JPP ;)

Like I said, the jury is still out on Saad. I claimed he was heartless and Wolski-esque. Let's give it a few years to see if he follows the same path. I said the same stuff about Jeremy Morin and it looks to be pretty accurate (solid AHLer but far from good in the NHL). But I don't see you mentioning that. You love to cherry-pick things to suit your argument. It's about time you were called out on it (and not just by me).

And, for what it's worth, it takes a lot more "courage" to speak in extremes about a player rather than to be wishy washy and non-committal on them. I like how you try and act as if that's something bad when, in reality, it's much harder to make an accurate prediction that way.

Perhaps I should start being like you. Throw out 500 names with vague praises so I can hedge myself more. :rolleyes:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Throwing a long-term contract at a guy who will be 31 when next season starts, and has already showed signs of slowing down? Even worse...let's hope your 'indications' turn out to be wrong.

Clowe makes more sense as a rental.

How does he make more sense as a rental? He's only 31 years old. I don't want to see him signed for 8 years or something, but a 3 or 4 year deal? Sure.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
How does he make more sense as a rental? He's only 31 years old. I don't want to see him signed for 8 years or something, but a 3 or 4 year deal? Sure.

You would sign a 31 year old Ryan Clowe to a three or four year deal?

abev

Sep 30, 2005
NY
www.fakepuppy.com
Rationalization, again.

Why have scouts? Why draft at all? Why not trade every pick, the percentages say so right?

Numbers on paper, constant stat watching, this board is priceless.

You tried to be sarcastic but you are correct. The percentages say trade unknown for known. Not much of a revelation.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Glen will be 70 soon. How many years will Glen be running the ship? On a serious note,Slats has prostate cancer. He is a very wealthy man. Slats owns half of Banff,Alberta. Life is too short. Glen should give the day to day operations to Gorton. Enjoy his family. Kids. Grandkids.

For some people it's all about the juice and the action. Money is a very secondary consideration. Being the GM of the New York Rangers has no shortage of that.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I believe the intention is to sign Clowe depending upon his play from here on in.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I believe the intention is to sign Clowe depending upon his play from here on in.

So let's say best case scenario, Clowe pulls an Antropov and has a nice little rental season for us...would you spend $4 - 4.5 million per for four years on Clowe?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Oh my goodness....just when you think you've heard everything. Absolutely stunning comment right there. :help:

Based on what? People have been talking way higher figures than that. If it's so stunning, I guess Vancouver is a team filled with idiots, too, since they were wanted him on a longer term deal as well at decent money.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So let's say best case scenario, Clowe pulls an Antropov and has a nice little rental season for us...would you spend $4 - 4.5 million per for four years on Clowe?

If he comes in and is everything he has been prior to this year where he has played through an injury? How would you not pay that? He's a fair bit better version of Dubinsky. Guess what Dubi is making?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Funny thing is none of those guys are the caliber of Clowe who has been a legitimate top 6 player his whole career. The only guy that has a shot at being a top 6-er there is King.

All 3 of those guys added cheap homegrown toughnmess, I didnt say they are Clowe. My point is you can find toughness in the draft and have it worked into a Cup winner. Clowe was brought in mostly for his 'jam' (ugh).

He's asking for future picks. Not hindsight picks.

And first to admit? More like the first to try and discredit other people by cherrypicking out stuff from years ago, amirite?

He asked when have I been wrong, I gave him a recent outline, I included every player I liked at our spot, no hindsight, all this info is available if you search the old threads.

Byers didn't bust due to injury. Byers busted because he's a ****** player.

Sauer has been a solid pick even with his injury problems. Weird that you'd even include him here.

I also like the fact that you hint that I didn't know of the injury history when I was one agreeing with you back then about it adding to the risk. In fact, I was a proponent of the belief that Sauer was a top 20 pick if not for his family history and his own injury history.

Love it, man. Keep it going.

Byers was an injuryfest all through his development, but the injuries mean nothing?? Classic Jon....

Sauer was also an injuryfest, and a player I liked very much, but would have never drafted knowing the injuries were blatantly obvious.

Well, then we need to hire you to run our scouting department goddammit. :laugh:

No, I'd hire SBOB for GM, Edge for head scout, talent evaluator. You, Sting, BRB, TRXW, Gagline, Bob, and Jon are all capable NA scouts ;)

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
If he comes in and is everything he has been prior to this year where he has played through an injury? How would you not pay that? He's a fair bit better version of Dubinsky. Guess what Dubi is making?

Horrible comparison. Dubinsky signed a four year contract which ends when he's 28 years old, still in his prime. Clowe's contract would take him through age 35.

Surely you can do better than that...:(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad