Ryan Wilson

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I think he'll be back in the big leagues—as early as next year—but with someone else. The injuries have been a real ***** for him, and I think even when he's "healed" he hasn't been in proper condition, which I think contributed to future injuries. Missing that much time has to be terrible for his timing, so he'll be super rusty, but he could still be a very good, physical bottom pairing defenseman. Plus, he seems like a real likable guy—especially for a guy that goes for big open-ice hits.

He's going to need someone to help him work back in and get comfortable at the NHL game again. I think the best fit is a team with an otherwise established defense corps that needs a physical bottom pairing defenseman. The chaos that is the Avalanche defense won't be good for his comeback. Similarly, we've got way too many question marks in Holden, Guenin, Redmond, and the rookies, so we need some stabilizing forces like Paul Martin et al. on the back-end rather than a risk like Wilson.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He's done. He showed some upside his first season, but in subsequent years was wildly inconsistent when he was on the ice (which wasn't often).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He's going to be in the AHL next year if not overseas. Not really playing for 3 years isn't going to help him.

I guarantee that Ryan Wilson will have a one-way, NHL contract to start the season.

Would bet anything on it.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I like how people still haven't figured out that "Top 4 d-man" is not the same as "Plays int he top 4". Someone can be the #1 defenseman on a team and not be a #1 defenseman either.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Bold statement. I really hope you're right. What makes you sure of that?

Because if he's healthy he's instantly better than 2 of the people that play on our squad (Guenin and Holden), for instance.

And there are plenty of teams around the league that have their own "Guenin's and Holden's" that they'll look to replace, so I think he'll have some teams that will show interest enough to give him a 1-way deal.

Of course, the key will be if he's healthy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Wilson has played 43 games the last three years combined, which totals 212 games. That means he's only been good enough or healthy enough to play in 20% of the games in the last 3 years. I'm just having a hard time believing some team will give him a one way contract with that history of injuries.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's possible he'll be an AHLer but he's not a very effective player anymore. After the concussions he's afraid to hit the way he used to (he tries to lead with his back now) and he gets rid of the puck without any intention of doing anything constructive. Add that his skating is really bad after all the ankle and knee problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad