Ryan Wilson

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Just curious. I'm a sens fan and noticed Wilson's contract expires this offseason. Will he be resigned? Is he still a top 4 dman? Have the injuries ended his career? He was a pretty solid player 3-4 years ago before injuries set in and i still remember the high lights of some big hits.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
won't be re-signed.

hasn't been top 4 dman for years.

injuries have likely derailed his career. dude can't stay healthy at all. one would be lucky to get an NHLer out of him at this point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wilson would have been a top 4 guy, but the injuries stopped that before it started. I don't think his career is over yet, but he will likely be a camp invite or a player on a cheap 2 way deal that compete for a 7/8 D job.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's a shame. He played the right way but the body just didn't hold up. Good for him to sign that three year deal, so he's at least set for life.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Loved Wilson, was one of my favorites. Good Windsor, Ontario boy. I know several people who grew up with him. Guy is going to have to work his butt off to get back to the NHL. Will probably have to prove himself in the AHL again to get a shot.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Was never a top-4 defenseman.

On this team, he certainly was at one point. During his best stretches he looked like a LEGIT top 4 guy on any team. Was solid at both ends. Unfortunately those moments were rare and inconsistent due to injuries.

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It's too bad about all the injuries wrecking his career...he was looking really good and he was such a hard worker, I hope he's able to stay healthy and get back into the NHL at some point.

member 116861

he was playing 19-20 minutes a night for 2 years. Lots of it was on the pk though. Had decent point totals

Technically he was a top 4 like technically Brad Stuart and Nick Holden are also top 4. Obviously Ryan Wilson was a lot better than these 2. I was never a fan of his game, way too inconsistent and I felt he was overrated because of his hitting ability.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
How 'bout Wilson for Karlsson? ...:sarcasm:

Seriously would do O'Reilly for him, though.

83721784.jpg

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Someone will give him a near minimum deal if he is healthy going into next season. At the very least he will get a camp invite from some team or another.

Depending on how the Avs UFA search goes, I don't think it is completely improbable that he gets a camp invite from the Avs.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Umm... welcome to HFBoards? :)

Hey thanks! I have been, like many many users, lurking for quite some time. Also I don’t follow football, I had no idea of Matt Ryan’s nickname…(not a big football fan) I will probably have to change my user ID haha. Big time Avs fan as long as I can remember, I will update my profile and post in the biographies thread as soon as I can in the next few days (going to Grand Junction for family this weekend).

To contribute- I think Wilson was very promising very early, but agree with what was said about his game being mostly about big hit/being physical. The shoulder injury definitely derailed in development, and being smart defensively.

I liked that the Avs gave him multiple opportunities to succeed (Hishon?), but my money is on him not being with the team next year (I hope).

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Every time I thought Wilson was 100% finished here, he still managed to pop up again later. Hell, I think he was even skating at the end of this season. I have a feeling we will see him again some day, because, you know, it's Wilson and the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad