Ryan White's Future

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
We could use his toughness in these playoffs, though, verry replaceable next year.. My 2¢

But.. Maybe he'll get better with time..

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Big fan of Ryan White and what he brings to the Habs lineup - so do you guys think he'll be part of the Habs long term plans or will he be moved in the off season?

I think he'll be part of the plans next year...in the mix on the 4th line...past that it's not a sure thing.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Big fan of Ryan White and what he brings to the Habs lineup - so do you guys think he'll be part of the Habs long term plans or will he be moved in the off season?

I think he will be qualified and will probably make the team out of camp. If, on the other hand, some rookies are super-impressive and he loses his job, it would only be a good thing for the club in that it means we are getting even stronger.

Ryan White definitely has his place as a fourth liner/spare in this league.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If the team held on to Weber all year I don't see why they would not hold on to White. He brings toughness that people always complain is lacking with the team. If he learns to pick his spots better and not cost his team penalties he is a great asset to have around.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
He'll be on the team until someone who does his job better makes the team. Because of his style of play, his body will be a lot more beat up earlier in his career.

As mentioned earlier he's replaceable. May get Colby Armstrong's spot next season.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
If the team held on to Weber all year I don't see why they would not hold on to White. He brings toughness that people always complain is lacking with the team. If he learns to pick his spots better and not cost his team penalties he is a great asset to have around.

Exactly.

And if someone asks: But, can he fight? Well the answer is yes so... that can always be helpful, to have someone not named Brandon Prust who can defend his teammates...

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004

I'm not gonna look it up but, I honestly don't think he's had more than two minutes in penalties since he jumped Ott and got that double minor early in the season. I think he needs to find some middle ground in his game. Seems like he's scared to play with any kind of agression in his game.

Is Halpern likely to be back? When he was picked up was basically when White lost his job. The way Bergevin is going I expect we'll read about Halpern being extended pretty soon.

EDIT: I did look it up. 6 PIM's in his last 17 games after 46 in his first 7.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
NO ROOM FOR HIM AFTER WE PICK UP CLARKSON! ok wishful thinking on my part. White is another energy dont back down guy that every team needs. with moen slowly starting to pick up his game we will need a white type to be there

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Ever since his hernia, he seems to have minor injury problems. Hopefully he can fully recover this summer. I'd sign him for another year for depth unless a better option appears. He can add some grit to the 4th line.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
given his contract status & the organizations approach under MB, i'd be shocked if he's not back next year... which is a good thing.

White's "low end" potential is what we're seeing right now, but imo his upside is well worth keeping him around for 2-3 more years to see if it pans out.

his skating & his consistency (mental game) are holding him back, both attributes that, with diligent work, can improve significantly with time + experience.

could see him be a late-bloomer who goes on to be a solid top-9 player who contributes effectively offensively & playing with grit.

not unlike Brandon Prust, albeit with less pugilistic ability but better overall hockey skills.

Prust, at the same age, was far less effective in a pure "hockey" sense, but made the jump into reliable 3rd-liner in his late-20's, I see a similar, if not superior, progression potential in White.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He better work ridiculously hard this summer. His spot would not be assured at all IMHO. I *want* him to be on the team, but the reality is that there ought to be some serious competition for spots. I'd be all for the Habs bringing back Halpern and/or Ryder next season. If not them, UFA equivalents. That plus Dumont pushing for a spot means White had better work like mad to hold off any extra challengers for a 13th/14th forward spot. If he can do that, great. If not... I guess we'll have another round of the waiver wire betting. :)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think he's a much better winger than he is a center and I don't think he was put in a position to show what he can bring while he was centering the 4th line for most of the year.

I happen to prefer white as a winger to Moen if we're going to have a 4th line of

Prust-Halpern-Moen/White

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I love White, but ever since the start of the year where he took a couple of bad penalties and was benched, the guy is not the same. It's like he's scared to make a mistake instead of just reacting. It's almost like he's been neutered.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
he's been afraid to take penalties but why do many consider him a dime a dozen player? because after all, we have had so many guys willing to drop the gloves + grit over the years (and stick in the pros), esp. ones we develop
:shakehead

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
It's almost like he's been neutered.

Reminds me of colleagues who get their creativity and ingenuity beaten out of them by mid-level managers and company policy. Sickening. We now have a player that rarely drops the gloves, and is so/so at every other aspect of the game. Yippee :shakehead

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
NO ROOM FOR HIM AFTER WE PICK UP CLARKSON! ok wishful thinking on my part. White is another energy dont back down guy that every team needs. with moen slowly starting to pick up his game we will need a white type to be there

How would Clarkson impact White? If we get Clarkson by UFA it means we let Ryder walk. White is competing for a spot in the #10-14 pspots and Clarkson at 5 mil/year would have to play top 6 minutes.

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void

My prediction? Next year Weber, White & Armstrong wont be on the team. Weber will be traded for another prospect or late pick, White for a late pick or just wont be resigned and Armstrong will be let go. I like Armstrong, I just can't see Bergevin signing him with all the muscle on the market this year.

all players ahead of these three by a mile(in the same $$ range);
Boyd Gordon, Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Maxim Lapierre, Drew Miller

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
My prediction? Next year Weber, White & Armstrong wont be on the team. Weber will be traded for another prospect or late pick, White for a late pick or just wont be resigned and Armstrong will be let go. I like Armstrong, I just can't see Bergevin signing him with all the muscle on the market this year.

where is the muscle?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Reminds me of colleagues who get their creativity and ingenuity beaten out of them by mid-level managers and company policy. Sickening. We now have a player that rarely drops the gloves, and is so/so at every other aspect of the game. Yippee :shakehead

Can we put even one iota of responsibility on the player himself? Too much to ask?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

A lot of those guys will cost more if we want to bring them in(Cooke Torres), Lapierre I want no part of, too high maintenance. Gordon, I'd just keep Halpern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad