Confirmed with Link: Ryan Warsofsky named head coach of the Charlotte Checkers

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Lowest paid head coach in the AHL today you say?
tbh I don't fully understand how this works between Charlotte (owned by Michael Kahn) and Carolina (owned by Tom Dundon). I know Vellucci was assistant GM of the Canes at the same time as head coach of the Checkers, but all the news reports say that the Canes have hired Warsofsky. not sure how that is supposed to work. all of this to say, maybe he's not the lowest paid coach in the history of the world? I have no idea.

Reactions: Unsustainable

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I’m obviously living under a rock, who is this guy? Was he an assistant in Charlotte?

And one other random question. The Canes ‘sign’ the AHL players, so is Waddell doing those negotiations too or is it the Checkers GM. And if Waddell, does Kahn get a say in the salary since he’s the one paying it?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I’m obviously living under a rock, who is this guy? Was he an assistant in Charlotte?

And one other random question. The Canes ‘sign’ the AHL players, so is Waddell doing those negotiations too or is it the Checkers GM. And if Waddell, does Kahn get a say in the salary since he’s the one paying it?
Took South Carolina to the Kelly Cup Finals his first year as a head coach in 2017, signed as an assistant with Charlotte last year.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ

yes he was assistant coach in Charlotte last season. when he was hired last summer he was the youngest coach hired in the AHL in 18 years. I believe his focus was on the PK (Checkers went from 24th in 2017-18 to 1st in the AHL last season) and the defense.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
tbh I don't fully understand how this works between Charlotte (owned by Michael Kahn) and Carolina (owned by Tom Dundon). I know Vellucci was assistant GM of the Canes at the same time as head coach of the Checkers, but all the news reports say that the Canes have hired Warsofsky. not sure how that is supposed to work. all of this to say, maybe he's not the lowest paid coach in the history of the world? I have no idea.

From my understanding of minor league sports (which I'll admit is less when it comes to the AHL than the ECHL or Minor League Baseball), the coaching staff and players are provided and paid by the big club. The minor league team is on the hook for front office and infrastructural support.

Played defense for Sacred Heart and Curry College and played a single pro season that saw him split time between Turnhout of the Dutch Eredivisie, Rio Grande Valley of the CHL, and Cape Cod of the FHL. After that, he went into coaching. He was the head coach of the South Carolina Stingrays for two seasons (2016-2018) and last season was an assistant with the Checkers.

Players on a two-way contract are signed by the Canes. From what I understand minor league free agents (guys just signed to the Checkers or who can go between the Checkers and the Swamp Rabbits) are signed by the Checkers.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Ryan Warsofsky's brother David played for the Avs organization last couple of years, and this past July 1 he signed a two way contract with the Penguins. if he doesn't make it with the big club out of camp, he'll go to Wilkes-Barre where he'll play for...Mike Vellucci.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
But isn't an AHL coach, by definition a revolving door? It's typically a stepping stone for guys that want to move on to bigger and better things, no?

Pretty much. One thing a lot of people don't understand is that *everybody* in the minors - players, coaches, officials, hell even the mascots and many of the front office types - are wanting to move up to their sport's major league.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, the weird thing was when we were losing coaches and weren't anything special (pre Dundon for all the haters that think it's always money or this ownership's fault). I hope this guy bails in a year or two because he's been doing an excellent job like Vellucci. Anyways, I don't know much about the guy, but I like hiring the young, up and coming guy. Bonus that he's already been around in a successful environment of his own, and with this team.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Took South Carolina to the Kelly Cup Finals his first year as a head coach in 2017, signed as an assistant with Charlotte last year.

I worked with him in Charleston when he was an assistant under now Hershey head coach Spencer Carbury. Warsy is a sharp guy and obviously he’s proven himself a good coach. I’m so happy for him and thrilled to see where he goes next.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
But isn't an AHL coach, by definition a revolving door? It's typically a stepping stone for guys that want to move on to bigger and better things, no?

Yes, highly doubt those that get into the AHL are doing so to be lifers there. Even Jeff Daniels was rumored to be Maurices replacement way back when.

Edit: I typed this before I read @garnetpalmetto response

I get what @FreshSeabass is saying though, Velluchi is the first coach the Checkers have had post Daniels to stay past the first year. But again as long as these guys are either successful and/or are given the opportunity to coach at their alma mater as Mark Morris did they'll take it. It's no different from college coaches taking jobs at big-name schools.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Seems like a pretty solid option. Success at the ECHL level, was an assistant under Velluci (so he knows what a successful head coach requires). Supposedly worked a lot on our PK last year and our D, both of which were near the top of the league (and our PK won that series against Toronto with the 4SHG and 0 for 8 PP of Toronto in the last game).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00