Value of: Ryan Strome

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It all depends on how much of a raise he wants and his term. Hard to see him not getting at least 4-5M a year for at least 3-4 years, imo. He's been solid but if that's the price I don't think the Rangers could/should do it.

If that's the case, you gotta trade him and get the best value back.

We gave Spooner and Namestnikov 2 x 4 in their final RFA years. I'd be fine with giving Strome 2 x 5. That's not much of a risk and if he continues to play well, it adds to his value.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
It all depends on how much of a raise he wants and his term. Hard to see him not getting at least 4-5M a year for at least 3-4 years, imo. He's been solid but if that's the price I don't think the Rangers could/should do it.

If that's the case, you gotta trade him and get the best value back.

I agree for the most part......however, Strome is 26...whatever you get in return likely takes several years to get to the point/efficiency that Strome is currently at. I wouldn't want to go above 4m for him, but if nothing else was out there or nobody in our system was close......signing him for 4m x 3 or 4 until he is 30.......wouldn't be terrible. I just don't see giving up on him for a 2nd and meh prospect. He is worth more to us.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Strome ---
is in demand
fact he will be ufa ups value
fact he is righty shot ditto
fact he plays either C or W also ditto
conclusion:
high demand = competitive bidding = drives up price
price is later middle to late 1st + throw in, ...

just for full understanding, he is not UFA unless not Qualified

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
I rather resign him if that is the best offer. he is underrated in my opinion. only gets a bad rap because of his draft status. if he was a late 1st round pick like Skjei, Pastrnak, Rakell etc no one would complain about him.

Hes a good fit with the Rangers, and other than a brutal stretch of 2 points in 18 games for Edmonton, he's over ppg career-long. Hes only 26 years old, so will be around for a while. If the Rangers cant get a first for him, they should keep him. There's no need to actively shop him unless something very good is coming back.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
One of my favorites, bought his jersey after that 50 point year in his first full NHL season. Sadly he became too much of a perimeter player and could not produce at a top 6 level and could not stick as a bottom 6 guy due to his lack of physicality.

Has he become less of a perimeter guy? Perhaps gained some "man strength" at the old age of 26? Genuinely curious, glad to see him doing well.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
One of my favorites, bought his jersey after that 50 point year in his first full NHL season. Sadly he became too much of a perimeter player and could not produce at a top 6 level and could not stick as a bottom 6 guy due to his lack of physicality.

Has he become less of a perimeter guy? Perhaps gained some "man strength" at the old age of 26? Genuinely curious, glad to see him doing well.

I wouldn’t say he’s overly physical, but that aspect has definitely improved. Definitely not a perimeter guy anymore.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Good 3c. Doesn't drive a line offensively. Will demand a raise of $4M+/yr which only a bad hockey team with poor C depth should pay for.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Mentioned this in a different thread.

Panarin in on pace for his best statistical season on record.

If Stromes best attribute is that he understands and can play with Panarin, that's not a bad thing at all.

There's something to be said for natural chemistry and not have it forced. Until such time that this has run its course, I'd ride this pony straight to the TDL and if there is no over payment forthcoming, resign Strome

I'd do 4 years and 20 million.

If you get 5 years of 50-70 point production from Strome, that's great ROI

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Mentioned this in a different thread.

Panarin in on pace for his best statistical season on record.

If Stromes best attribute is that he understands and can play with Panarin, that's not a bad thing at all.

There's something to be said for natural chemistry and not have it forced. Until such time that this has run its course, I'd ride this pony straight to the TDL and if there is no over payment forthcoming, resign Strome

I'd do 4 years and 20 million.

If you get 5 years of 50-70 point production from Strome, that's great ROI

Yeah, I never understood the negativity on players who are passengers to good players. If that star player is able to continue to produce and help somebody else produce, who cares? It's not like trading Strome means we replace him with a top talent to play with Panarin. This allows us to spread out Zibanejad and still keep Panarin playing well.

Even if Strome drops down to 40'ish points over the next couple of seasons, that's not terrible for 4 million these days.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Rangers should keep him, build around Zibby, Strome and whoever they draft in the coming years with one of thier high picks.

Trade Krieder, other UFA's and keep on track. Thier rebuild is going well, no reason to trade away Strome when he will still be a quality player for many years to come.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
It depends on how teams approach him. If they believe that he is sustainably the player he's been since he got to New York, a 1st. If they recognize that he has been incredibly fortunate from a shooting perspective and still has just as many defensive deficiencies as he used to, a whole lot less.

I fully believe the Rangers should sell high on him, but maybe teams are smarter than they used to be.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Edmonton never should have dumped him. He’d have been an ideal 3C for us.

He wouldn’t fetch a 1st but why would NY sell him for a 2nd since he’s producing as a legit top 6 player with Panarin?

To nail his value is tough. Worth more to NY than what he’d return but if he keeps it up he could inflate his next contract to a point where moving him makes more sense then paying top dollar to him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Strome looks great with Panarin, Chytil and Buchnevich have some nice chemistry and when Zib is healthy, he'll play with Kakko. It's bases for 3 good lines, why do Rangers need to trade Strome?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Edmonton never should have dumped him. He’d have been an ideal 3C for us.

He wouldn’t fetch a 1st but why would NY sell him for a 2nd since he’s producing as a legit top 6 player with Panarin?

To nail his value is tough. Worth more to NY than what he’d return but if he keeps it up he could inflate his next contract to a point where moving him makes more sense then paying top dollar to him.

2nd is not even remotely close as to current value

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think strome would be a fit on the Flames top 9 as RW Or 3c. Not sure the flames would offer enough to entice a trade though.
We’re probably leaning towards something like Jankowski and a later pick, I don’t doubt that offer would be rejected and a deal doesn’t transpire between the two clubs.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think strome would be a fit on the Flames top 9 as RW Or 3c. Not sure the flames would offer enough to entice a trade though.
We’re probably leaning towards something like Jankowski and a later pick, I don’t doubt that offer would be rejected and a deal doesn’t transpire between the two clubs.
What is up with Jankowski? 0 points in 24 games. Not even at a shot per game.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Whatever team signs him to a multi-year deal after this will regret it big time.

Enjoy it for now, sell him at the deadline for whatever you can get. 3rd rounder? 2nd if he keeps his play up??

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What is up with Jankowski? 0 points in 24 games. Not even at a shot per game.

It could be something specific to him, or the entire team. Not sure what to believe. Jankowski's failure to get on the score board isn't completely limited to him though. The last 10 games for the Flames have been rough. Overall, we've handed out like a dozen shutouts to goalies this season or something?

- Jankowski was drafted by Feaster/Weisbrod as an extremely offensively creative player in the same vein as Gaudreau. However, development wise, he went into a system that was stifling defensively in an attempt to "round out his game". To me, it always seemed like Jankowski had a defensive mode and an offensive mode. He can never seem to figure out how to combine them but he was looking pretty decent in Stockton/rookie season. I have optimism he can figure it out, some of my fellow fan base does not agree. I think he's stuck in permanent defensive mode and I'm not sure if that's a system issue. I do not believe we have ever deployed him in anything other than a checking role though.
- Jankowski hasn't always been the best 5v5 player and weirdly enough, I believe he's more money offensively on the PK (not PP) than 5v5. Again this kinda hints he can do very defensive, very offensive, but seemingly rarely does something in between.
- Some feel he's a better winger and essentially a Joe Colborne 2.0 for us in terms of size, creativity and lack of physicality.
- He's not playing with a decent contingent of talent AND he's playing with a rotating cast so it might be hard to develop chemistry.
- Not getting a ton of minutes to continue to develop his game. His centre play is meh and we have a huge LW logjam.
- LHS is kinda his downfall right now. If he was a RHS like his brother, I think most Flames fans offer him far more leash.

He's not worthless, but he's not worth much at the moment either. I think he's definitely being miscast on the Flames right now though and if someone trades for him to play LW with slightly more skilled team mates, I think he'd flourish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad