Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Sproul and Xavier Ouellet have been reassigned to Grand Rapids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Who?

Kindl?
Emmerton?
Meech?
Ritola?

Oh yeah, Val Filppula was brought up before Kenneh deemed him ready. That seems to be working out just fine. Nyquist was forced into the lineup before he was ready - that seemed to work out just fine.

So yeah, good luck with that. :laugh:

Why don't the Wings have any prospects who got ruined? Simple: because the organization does not rush its prospects. What about this colossally simple concept is so difficult for you to comprehend? Your smugness is now verging on the absolutely comical.

My god has Kenneh got some of you bamboozled. I heard this same crap when I suggested Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan and Jurco belonged in Detroit this year. Funny how that worked out!

This again. It, too, is becoming comical.

Oh, by the way, who knows better: Holland and Babcock or Harnessed in Slums?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
EVERYONE wanted Tatar and Nyquist on the Wings this year. Quit acting like you're the only one (especially when someone took the time to pull a quote saying you didn't like Tatar)

And we have everything to gain and nothing to lose? I'm pretty sure we're trying to win a stanley cup over here. I don't see how putting in a guy with no NHL experience, no chemistry with teammates, and has struggled with his main job in the AHL this year helps us to win the Stanley Cup

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
http://www.wdfn.com/media/podcast-matt-shepard-podcast-ShepInTheMorning/jeff-blashill-41714-24640150/

Interview with Jeff Blashill
Says that Griffins have continued to have success even with all the callups because of the defense group
Interestingly also says that Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko and Jensen all have a legitimate shot at the big club as soon as next year and "can be real good NHL players"

http://www.wdfn.com/media/podcast-matt-shepard-podcast-ShepInTheMorning/mike-babcock-41614-24633676/

Interview with Babcock where he also says that "I like our organizational depth, we have 3 young D knocking on the door.."

Looks likes the red wings really like their young defense
Also, don't think Almquist really has a future with the wings..

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
http://www.wdfn.com/media/podcast-matt-shepard-podcast-ShepInTheMorning/jeff-blashill-41714-24640150/

Says that Griffins have continued to have success even with all the callups because of the defense group
Interestingly also says that Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko and Jensen all have a legitimate shot at the big club as soon as next year and "can be real good NHL players"

http://www.wdfn.com/media/podcast-matt-shepard-podcast-ShepInTheMorning/mike-babcock-41614-24633676/

Interview with Babcock where he also says that "I like our organizational depth, we have 3 young D knocking on the door.."

Does he say which 3?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I would assume Oullet, Marchenko and Almquist, as those seem the most ready. But maybe Babcock thinks higher of Sproul than AA.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Gilbert Brule, Nikita Filatov, Nikolai Zherdev, among others.

Zherdev was a good player, but his attitude got him blackballed in the NHL. Other than that, this list is pathetic. You'll need a more comprehensive list if you want to convince me it would be a mistake to bring up Sproul "early."

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Zherdev was a good player, but his attitude got him blackballed in the NHL. Other than that, this list is pathetic. You'll need a more comprehensive list if you want to convince me it would be a mistake to bring up Sproul "early."

I didn't realize that was what the debate was over. I just think it's absolutely possible to rush prospects into the NHL. Sproul may actually be ready for the NHL.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Zherdev was a good player, but his attitude got him blackballed in the NHL. Other than that, this list is pathetic.

I'm amused at the level of hubris necessary to believe that your expertise exceeds that of numerous NHL general managers and head scouts combined. The concept of ruining a prospect by moving him too quickly is neither abstract nor new, and the Red Wings' management is widely praised for its habit (i.e. the results) of over-ripening prospects in the minors before calling them up to the NHL.

You'll need a more comprehensive list if you want to convince me it would be a mistake to bring up Sproul "early."

No offense, but I don't think that anyone here particularly cares about convincing you of this; it's not as if you're making any decisions on the issue. Perhaps you ought to be trying to convince Holland, Blashill, and Babcock.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm amused at the level of hubris

Between the talk about how the concept of defense works in hockey and how prospects are handled in Detroit and the NHL at large, I'm cringing so hard I'm not sure I qualify as amused :cry:

JMan and Harnessed are certainly entitled to their opinions, but at the same time, those opinions seem sprung from a desire to see our prospects in Detroit ASAP (a common the theme on this board no doubt), rather than from a position of logic and reason that gives way to the conclusion that we should have our prospects in Detroit ASAP. I just wish they'd admit it and save us all from these phantom discussions :laugh:

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I'm amused at the level of hubris necessary to believe that your expertise exceeds that of numerous NHL general managers and head scouts combined. The concept of ruining a prospect by moving him too quickly is neither abstract nor new, and the Red Wings' management is widely praised for its habit (i.e. the results) of over-ripening prospects in the minors before calling them up to the NHL.

None of this pointless exposition has proven to me that players failing by being rushed into the big league is an actual thing that happens. Different organizations have different methods of bringing up kids. How short is too soon? Does everyone have the same time frame until they're ready? Exactly how would they be ruined should they be exposed too early to the NHL playing against top competition?

And most importantly, how exactly is Ryan Sproul not ready? He looked pretty much ready in his first big league game from the eye test, and nobody dares blaspheme the eye test.

No offense, but I don't think that anyone here particularly cares about convincing you of this; it's not as if you're making any decisions on the issue. Perhaps you ought to be trying to convince Holland, Blashill, and Babcock.
Let's forget how much praise that has been heaped on the kids who may or may not have been rushed by these three players.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
And most importantly, how exactly is Ryan Sproul not ready? He looked pretty much ready in his first big league game from the eye test, and nobody dares blaspheme the eye test.

Again, it was only one game. More, let's look at his statistics for that one game. Sproul played 18 sheltered minutes against the lowest-quality competition of anyone on the team; his average in this regard ended up, by a significant margin, the lowest of anyone who played even a single game for the team this season. He also started only 25% of his shifts in the defensive zone, which was likewise the lowest, again by a significant margin, of any player who logged even one game for the Wings this season. And this was all against an injury-ravaged team in the midst of a major slump.

If you feel that this solitary game, let alone with those statistics in mind, is enough data for you to make a solid, positive judgment on his NHL readiness, then please remind me to never, ever hire you for a research job.

Let's forget how much praise that has been heaped on the kids who may or may not have been rushed by these three players.

I'm not entirely certain of what you mean.

Do note, however, that Babcock's handling of Sproul against the Blues was not a vote of confidence in Sproul's defensive acumen at the NHL level. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
None of this pointless exposition has proven to me that players failing by being rushed into the big league is an actual thing that happens. Different organizations have different methods of bringing up kids. How short is too soon? Does everyone have the same time frame until they're ready? Exactly how would they be ruined should they be exposed too early to the NHL playing against top competition?

He played sheltered minutes against a team that was missing 7 of its top 9 forwards...

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Between the talk about how the concept of defense works in hockey and how prospects are handled in Detroit and the NHL at large, I'm cringing so hard I'm not sure I qualify as amused :cry:

JMan and Harnessed are certainly entitled to their opinions, but at the same time, those opinions seem sprung from a desire to see our prospects in Detroit ASAP (a common the theme on this board no doubt), rather than from a position of logic and reason that gives way to the conclusion that we should have our prospects in Detroit ASAP. I just wish they'd admit it and save us all from these phantom discussions :laugh:

I have focused on prospects being added to the roster to areas where we have clear weaknesses. And I was correct with regards to Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan and Jurco. Mike Babcock even agrees with me, he said these guys have claimed roster spots and are going nowhere. I'll value his opinion over yours and Crymson's every day of the week. :D

It's funny people talk about Sproul playing sheltered minutes. Guess what? After 8 years Jakub Kindl still plays the most sheltered minutes. Why not try to improve on one of your biggest weaknesses, ie your second PP QB? You should be able to score against the opposition when you have a man advantage. :laugh:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

The worst part is those two posters are just reposting the same thing over and over. Not adding any logical or statistical evidence to support their conclusions.

how many times in this thread have we read "And I was correct with regards to Tatar, Nyquist, Shea...blah, blah, blah. Im smarter than Holland, Babcock and Blashill Blah Blah Blah". :shakehead Congrats, But no one cares. Those prospects have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Sproul.

This thread really should be locked at this point

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Sproul and Ouellet have been reassigned and we are just going in circles. Time to close this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad