Player Discussion Ryan Spooner: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
No way Bruins give Spooner 4 mil per. He'll be gone by then.

Well the Jets just extended Matheiu Perreault, a player who I consider very similar in terms of style, production, etc. to Spooner, and he got 4.125 million per over 4 years. Yes they bought out some UFA years, so Spooner should come under this number, but a AAV of 3.5-4.0 isn't out of the question for Spooner come next season.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Well the Jets just extended Matheiu Perreault, a player who I consider very similar in terms of style, production, etc. to Spooner, and he got 4.125 million per over 4 years. Yes they bought out some UFA years, so Spooner should come under this number, but a AAV of 3.5-4.0 isn't out of the question for Spooner come next season.

Spooner and Hayes for me will be traded within the next 12 months. I just can't see Boston keeping Spooner unless its small money, especially if Backes is playing C in Boston.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Spooner and Hayes for me will be traded within the next 12 months. I just can't see Boston keeping Spooner unless its small money, especially if Backes is playing C in Boston.

Depends on how it goes next year.

Can finally successfully transition to left wing if Backes is getting 80% of his minutes in the middle?

Can he put up 45-55 pts. again?

Make no mistake, Backes was brought in to compliment Krejci, Bergeron AND Spooner. I don't think by any means Backes being in Boston means Spooner is likely gone. I think Sweeney likes Spooner a heck of a lot more than most on this board. And if he can make a move to LW, and put up 50+ pts. next year, I have no problem with them giving him an extension at market value (between 3.0 - 4.0 million per), provided they can still find space to upgrade the D.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado

I agree they'll probably both be gone but not because of Backes. My personal opinion is that Heinen will end up on the big club before the trade deadline and learn from all 3 of Bostons strong centres.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This is why we've won 3 cups since the 40s. That strategy doesn't win you ****. There's plenty of room for skill players that aren't good at defense on a 25 man roster. I wouldn't build a team around em, but filling out your top 9 with a couple of pure skill guys won't ruin your team especially nowadays. Now if he's really bad at draws maybe make the shift to winger. And it goes to my point, lock him up now long term on a fair deal and it won't be any sweat having him around.

Really?

That's your conclusion from studying the Bruins going back to the 40's? Let too many highly skilled players like Spooner get away?

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Can Spooner play right wing? I would like to see a line of Vatrano-Backes-Spooner. Spooner sets up the sniper Vatrano and Backes doses the dirty work. Awesome 3rd line. If we can sign spooner long term for a little over 3mill I'm all for it. I think he will consistently put up 60+ points while getting better on defense and being a big part of the power play.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Depends on how it goes next year.

Can finally successfully transition to left wing if Backes is getting 80% of his minutes in the middle?

Can he put up 45-55 pts. again?

Make no mistake, Backes was brought in to compliment Krejci, Bergeron AND Spooner. I don't think by any means Backes being in Boston means Spooner is likely gone. I think Sweeney likes Spooner a heck of a lot more than most on this board. And if he can make a move to LW, and put up 50+ pts. next year, I have no problem with them giving him an extension at market value (between 3.0 - 4.0 million per), provided they can still find space to upgrade the D.

When I think of Spooner on the LW i literally cringe. I love Spoonman, hes just so one dimensional and non versatile. Its literally C or bust. When he played LW he looked so lost. He went to C and literally exploded. If they transition him to LW I really hope he starts being more of a shooter. If he starts shooting more his goals will go way up. He has such an underrated shot and is very accurate.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Really?

That's your conclusion from studying the Bruins going back to the 40's? Let too many highly skilled players like Spooner get away?

I tend to exaggerate when I'm real buzzed after softball... :laugh: :help:

But... I do get frustrated when players that definitely deserve a spot get passed over because they aren't the "bruins type". A team full of matt beleskeys probably wouldn't go too far. I like Spooners game and I feel like he has a place on this team now and in the future. I just hope he doesn't get let go because he isn't very hard in the dirty areas.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I tend to exaggerate when I'm real buzzed after softball... :laugh: :help:

But... I do get frustrated when players that definitely deserve a spot get passed over because they aren't the "bruins type". A team full of matt beleskeys probably wouldn't go too far. I like Spooners game and I feel like he has a place on this team now and in the future. I just hope he doesn't get let go because he isn't very hard in the dirty areas.

IF he gets moved it won`t be, IMO, because he doesn`t play hard in the dirty areas, I actually think he plays hard, he`s just not a strong kid and is easily pushed off the puck.

The reason he would get moved is an internal prospect, not Backes, has pushed the B`s into a position that they feel that prospect can bring elements Spooner can`t. You look at the versatility of a Heinen who I`ve read is capable AND comfortable playing multiple positions and THAT, IMO, is a kid who could be a guy who eventually forces the B`s hand.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
IF he gets moved it won`t be, IMO, because he doesn`t play hard in the dirty areas, I actually think he plays hard, he`s just not a strong kid and is easily pushed off the puck.

The reason he would get moved is an internal prospect, not Backes, has pushed the B`s into a position that they feel that prospect can bring elements Spooner can`t. You look at the versatility of a Heinen who I`ve read is capable AND comfortable playing multiple positions and THAT, IMO, is a kid who could be a guy who eventually forces the B`s hand.

I get this. Especially if Heinen keeps progressing, Debrusk not too far behind, and IF we sign Vesey. That's alot of youth on the wings. Add that youth to your Veteran center depth and that's a good mix. That 3 veteran center depth scares me though. At first people were worried about riding Krejci and Bergeron's coattails for the next decade. Now we added another 30+ player with hard miles. I get the versatility Backes bring and I'm excited to see it. I would just be wary of sending off our only productive youthful center. In fact I would prefer to have Backes on the RW if he is fine doing that and having Spooner as the 3C. Also, it's great to see the progression on some prospects but are they there yet? No. Are we about to have 2 rookie wingers in our top 6? Probably not.

I think after this season, if he plays a full year here, Spooner's value will be pretty damn high. I can see 55+ points out of him easily. But if Heinen is shredding the AHL this year then maybe it looks like Spooner can be sent off for D help.

But back to my original point a few posts ago. Sign Spooner earlier than later. Get him locked in now before he gets a close to 60pt season. That way his value is even better. Trade him if the partner is there or keep him if there's no other prospects forcing their way in.

Last edited:

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012

And that is the case in which i'm perfectly ok with Spoons being moved. I just don't want to see him shipped off JUST BECAUSE a guy like Backes has now made him obsolete at center. I'd rather Spooner given another chance at playing wing and seeing if he can adjust. If not, then we'll know for certain.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I get this. Especially if Heinen keeps progressing, Debrusk not too far behind, and IF we sign Vesey. That's alot of youth on the wings. Add that youth to your Veteran center depth and that's a good mix. That 3 veteran center depth scares me though. At first people were worried about riding Krejci and Bergeron's coattails for the next decade. Now we added another 30+ player with hard miles. I get the versatility Backes bring and I'm excited to see it. I would just be wary of sending off our only productive youthful center. In fact I would prefer to have Backes on the RW if he is fine doing that and having Spooner as the 3C. Also, it's great to see the progression on some prospects but are they there yet? No. Are we about to have 2 rookie wingers in our top 6? Probably not.

I think after this season, if he plays a full year here, Spooner's value will be pretty damn high. I can see 55+ points out of him easily. But if Heinen is shredding the AHL this year then maybe it looks like Spooner can be sent off for D help.

But back to my original point a few posts ago. Sign Spooner earlier than later. Get him locked in now before he gets a close to 60pt season. That way his value is even better. Trade him if the partner is there or keep him if there's no other prospects forcing their way in.

Great post, I'm fully behind Backes playing RW and taking defensive zone draws when needed. Spooner needs to stay at center right now because we don't really have room on the left side and putting him on the right side could set him up for failure. We needed a RWer on July 1st, another center wasn't at all up there on the priority list unless of course Krejci is on the way out for D help. IMO Spooner doesn't get you a high end D-man in a trade so better off keeping him in his comfort zone, letting him put up even better numbers and raising his stock.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
When I think of Spooner on the LW i literally cringe. I love Spoonman, hes just so one dimensional and non versatile. Its literally C or bust. When he played LW he looked so lost. He went to C and literally exploded. If they transition him to LW I really hope he starts being more of a shooter. If he starts shooting more his goals will go way up. He has such an underrated shot and is very accurate.

:amazed:

Hopefully the Bull Gang cleaned that up.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

Spooner reminds me of Skinner a lot....which is the only reason I'd be comfortable moving him to wing now that Backes is on the team.

I've always been 'pro' Spooner at center because I was the same way as you; I hated the idea of seeing him on the wing because he'd get murdered along the boards...but if Seguin was able to succeed with Bergeron, perhaps Spooner might be able to as well.

That line does have promise to be exciting on paper.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
at this point with spooner if he's moved to the wing... put him on bergy's right side. 63 and 37 are capable of covering spooners short comings and bergys IQ is so high he'll be able to insulate and help spooner. and that line would have tons of offensive potential as well. I know he's not heavy on the boards but may as well try him with the best duo we have. it allows backes to run a 3rd line, and if CJ gets into a jam he can always throw backes on krecjis wing late in a game and spoons back to 3rd line C. i like having backes cuz he adds some options for line matches late in games.

marchand-bergeron-spooner
Vesey/Vatrano-Krejci-Pasta
Belesky-Backes-Hayes
XX-Nash-Randell/Griffith

late in game

Marchand-bergy-Backes/pasta
belesky-krecji-backes
vatrano-spooner-hayes/backes
4th line

I like the potential nightmare CJ can create for other teams with a heavier responsible C/RW who can essentially slot in almost anywhere in the top 9 depending on where he's needed.

I'm not a seth griffith fan, hope he's traded for a more solid RW or D option.

so assuming no Vesey I could also see

marchand-bergy-pasta
vatrano-krejci-backes
belesky-spooner-hayes/griff
4th line

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
make a deal with Ottawa for Ceci.

Spooner + 2017 1st

for

Ceci

Sign Ceci (RFA) for 4 million x 6 years

i'd be all for Ceci but I would try and see if they would bite on something else. Ott doesn't need more centers as they have turris, zbenajad, pageau, lazar, kelly, smith. they could use some wing depth and D depth (griffith+mcquaid+morrow+ a pick) or something to that affect but ceci's deal would need to be signed prior to the deal.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
i'd be all for Ceci but I would try and see if they would bite on something else. Ott doesn't need more centers as they have turris, zbenajad, pageau, lazar, kelly, smith. they could use some wing depth and D depth (griffith+mcquaid+morrow+ a pick) or something to that affect but ceci's deal would need to be signed prior to the deal.

Take the B's D prospect that you are the most high on. Ask yourself, would you deal that guy for an 2 AHL tweeners and a #6 injury prone D.

I think we've learned that you can't get young top 4 D for peanuts.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Take the B's D prospect that you are the most high on. Ask yourself, would you deal that guy for an 2 AHL tweeners and a #6 injury prone D.

I think we've learned that you can't get young top 4 D for peanuts.

We would be losing that trade so bad. Ceci sucks. If people complain Krug isn't good at defense, they would lose their mind with him.

so between these two comments is my suggestion of griff who's not likely a tweener on any other team he probably lands a 3rd line role, morrow, mcquaid as the sens have expressed an interest in defense depth and a pick or two....

ceci isn't a world beater at the moment but some time with chara under CJ's systems with Cassidy could help improve his game.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
so between these two comments is my suggestion of griff who's not likely a tweener on any other team he probably lands a 3rd line role, morrow, mcquaid as the sens have expressed an interest in defense depth and a pick or two....

ceci isn't a world beater at the moment but some time with chara under CJ's systems with Cassidy could help improve his game.

Of course Griffith is a tweener. He's a good AHL player who can't get more than a cup of coffee in the NHL. That's what a tweener is. You really think that a guy being held back by Jimmy Hayes is going to step into a 3rd line role on most other teams? OTT has Bobby Ryan, Mark Stone and Curtis Lazar as RW depth. Griffith isn't beating out any of those guys. Anyone who wants Griffith will get him for free in October when he goes on waivers.

Since you didn't answer my question I'll ask it again a little differently:

Would you trade McAvoy for Matt Puempel, Mark Borowiecki and Freddy Claesson + a pick?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Bruins are in no hurry to trade any of them. Hayes will be kept for expansion purpose as each teams need to have two forwards that have played 40 games in 2016 or 70 games in 15+16 and that are under contract for 17-18.

Right now, Bruins have two forwards that would meat these requirements: Hayes and Nash. If Hayes is traded, they have to get another forward that is signed for 17-18 or they'll have to expose Beleskey.

As for Spooner, I too agree that he'll likely be traded for a D. Especially if Vesey is signed or ELC guys show they can win a wing spot.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Of course Griffith is a tweener. He's a good AHL player who can't get more than a cup of coffee in the NHL. That's what a tweener is. You really think that a guy being held back by Jimmy Hayes is going to step into a 3rd line role on most other teams? OTT has Bobby Ryan, Mark Stone and Curtis Lazar as RW depth. Griffith isn't beating out any of those guys. Anyone who wants Griffith will get him for free in October when he goes on waivers.

Since you didn't answer my question I'll ask it again a little differently:

Would you trade McAvoy for Matt Puempel, Mark Borowiecki and Freddy Claesson + a pick?

well considering I can't really compare mcavoy to ceci I can't really answer your question. McAvoy has 0 NHL games, where as Ceci does... we also don't need defensive depth where as the sens do.

and to be fair the deal was griff, morow,mcquaid +picks(never identified which rnd)

so would I trade for pumpel, boro, wideman and 2nd maybe, maybe not

my point is ceci has a lot of potenital and a lot of flaws. I live in Ottawa and spend a fair amount of time watching sens games or going to them. I've seen him play lots and his from the same end of town that I live in so seeing him play is not new to me. he's not nearly as coveted as trouba so I think by pricing himself out of the sens plans(budget team) may force their hand to make a deal. they may also not want to protect 4 d at the exp draft and could look to move him for other pieces.

and to answer your question i think when cam neely says he wants to be heavier on the wing then yes jimmy hayes is holding griffith back as SG is much smaller than Hayes, Randell, Ferlin, Connolly

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
i hope they give spooner a good look before trading him, he's one of the only good sets of wheels the offense has. he can back guys off pushing into the zone with his speed and he can make some good moves (esp in the shootout)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad