Ryan Smyth to retire

Oct 15, 2008
Everyone is on a high of the retirement. But there is no way in hell it should be retired.

How easily people forget his wish for a Cup could have been fulfilled if he actually showed up in the Finals. Or if he didn't decide to be part of the dismantle of the team for 100,000 bucks when he had 30 million in the bank.

He turned, and came crawling back like Mike Comrie.

I bet youre fun at parties.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Everyone is on a high of the retirement. But there is no way in hell it should be retired.

How easily people forget his wish for a Cup could have been fulfilled if he actually showed up in the Finals. Or if he didn't decide to be part of the dismantle of the team for 100,000 bucks when he had 30 million in the bank.

I'm down for lifting "89" to the rafters, too.

Oct 15, 2008
Pretty fun. Hell, you and I once partied.

People make mistakes.

In a situation as bleak as this one, as a fan, why not remember the good times?

I agree that retiring his number is bumfoolery, but that was the first game Ive attended in some time where the crowd was generally positive. Its been a long time since that's happened.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

If every player who fought with this franchise over money was a bad guy then we've never had a good guy.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If every player who fought with this franchise over money was a bad guy then we've never had a good guy.

Have to disagree with this.

I like Smyth. That being said, however, his mantra was always "never leave money on the table".

This is a positive farewell thread, so I'm not going to dwell on the negativity, but Smyth was always all about the benjamins.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I like Smyth. That being said, however, his mantra was always "never leave money on the table".

This is a positive farewell thread, so I'm not going to dwell on the negativity, but Smyth was always all about the benjamins.

Yup and that is long over, Smyth really got nothing out of it and the Oilers didn't get anything out of it, so it was really a wash and a mistake from all sides.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Remember when it was a thing that Lowe was concerned about giving Taylor Hall his #4? So sure he was next in line..

Lowe was never concerned; rather the media was curious if Hall would "demand" it. There was zero hostility/animosity when Lowe said Hall was cool to use. Just media stirring **** up for the sake of stirring **** up.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Maybe you forget how many times Coffey, Fuhr and Messier battled with Pocklington and refused to report to training camp. Same with Moog (held out for half a year before forcing a trade). Different times, and I'd side with those players from the 80's versus Pocklington, but it still happened.

Also, it was mentioned in the in depth profile Matheson wrote on the EIG's tenure that Lowe and Nichols had discussed Smyth's next deal and what they felt comfortable with, and it wasn't so much about the dollars/cap hit as it was about term. They felt he played such a grinding style that he'd break down over the course of a long-term deal. This was all taking place while the team was setting an organizational record for man games lost to injury. Much was made about the 5.4 vs 5.5 stance, but it was mentioned in the article that Nichols told Lowe to make sure a deal doesn't get done unless its 2-3 years. Smitty walking away from 100k difference was intended as a PR spin.

In the end, we lost out on the deal (the picks and prospects turned into nothing) and its fair to suggest this was where the organization officially went down the toilet. By no means am I suggesting Smyth would have made us a playoff team in any of those years, but we took a heart and soul guy who battles every shift and replaced him with Nilsson and Penner. Instant identity crisis.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com

Are you serious?! And no, I'm not on a high from the retirement.

Smyth embodied everything that you'd want in an Oiler and was the most proud Oiler ever to wear those colours. He's the perfect example of the type of player future Oilers should model themselves after.

I can't ever see anyone else wearing #94 and it should absolutely be retired.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
One thing I'd like to reflect on here in the thread is how Smyth's retirement, whether one be anywhere in the city, watching it on TV, or at the arena was such an emotional and celebrated experience and with even refs and opponents being part of that celebration.

Mainly because everybody recognizes Smyth was a throwback and a player and person that recognized that every game, every year, every opportunity was special and that every fan and person he came into contact with was special.

Smyth got this level of praise not only as a hockey player but for being one that fully recognized every day what a gift it is to have this opportunity.

He ate, slept lived the role, on and off the ice.

As much as this board liked to deride the players contributions for years and posters like myself have had to read that junk its clear what the city thought about Ryan Smyth.

As far as retiring the Jersey? Maybe. Emotionally speaking the only players that had MORE of a connection with the city and fanbase are Gretz and Mess. Strange as that may seem. Not saying it in view of merit at all, just on the player/person/fan connection. Smytty was just a guy that was easy to love and admire and relate to.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the guy showed up to an old ladys 106th birthday party to let her play with his hair, Retire that 94 already.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Awesome, just saw Landsberg and Lynden Byers on OTR completely mock Smyth in his last game and then go straight to talking about Torterella. :shakehead

stay classy tsn

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
As far as retiring the Jersey? Maybe. Emotionally speaking the only players that had MORE of a connection with the city and fanbase are Gretz and Mess. Strange as that may seem. Not saying it in view of merit at all, just on the player/person/fan connection. Smytty was just a guy that was easy to love and admire and relate to.

Couldn't you put Smyth in the conversation with Messier? Hear me out: I know Messier won five (!!!) cups with Edmonton, but it seems like his legacy was with the Rangers and city and player both adopted each other. They retired his number first and you know Messier would take a job with the Rangers in a heartbeat. Smyth, on the other hand looked completely wrong in any other uniform.

Disclaimer: I was not old/alive enough to remember the 80s.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Couldn't you put Smyth in the conversation with Messier? Hear me out: I know Messier won five (!!!) cups with Edmonton, but it seems like his legacy was with the Rangers and city and player both adopted each other. They retired his number first and you know Messier would take a job with the Rangers in a heartbeat. Smyth, on the other hand looked completely wrong in any other uniform.

Disclaimer: I was not old/alive enough to remember the 80s.

Well, few players in todays age show as much loyalty to any one team. 16/20 seasons spent here with both figures being enormous. Oilers have never had anything like that at all. I would imagine next to that its a dozen years spent here for Mess. I'm not sure what the figures are for alltime games spent with one club but Smyth is up there in 99th percentile I imagine.

I wonder if the retiring jersey convo is any different if 20/20yrs were spent here.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It should be retired, Ryan Smyth exemplified what it meant to be an Oiler on and off the ice for an entire Generation. We'd be lucky to draft another Smyth in the next 50 years, no one has his compete and heart. Guy truly was one of a kind IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad