Speculation: Ryan Smyth Oilers Captian in Mirror Universe

Kodiak64

Dec 16, 2010
Edmonton
So I ordered a Ryan Smyth jersey from shop.canada.nhl.com, and recieved it today. Little did I know that I held in my hands a package that had somehow crossed the boundaries of space and time. It came to me from a world where #94 was never traded to the Islanders on that deadline day, no tearfull airport goodbye, and the C never defaulted to Shawn Horcoff. As I opened the bag my heart lept with the realization of this packages magical journey, for before my eyes, was this:
2hyw0tk.jpg

263zoso.jpg

30vhkko.jpg

I already contacted customer support and they are shipping me a replacement.

I thought this was a pretty hilarious error by whomever did the cresting. Has anyone ever had something similar happen to them?

Kodiak64

Dec 16, 2010
Edmonton
I am starting to think about keeping it, but people who see me wearing it will just assume I am a ******. They may not be wrong, but for that?

Kodiak64

Dec 16, 2010
Edmonton
why would you return that. its awesome.

I am SERIOUSLY considering not returning it, then again, it's simply not what I ordered.

As far as being a Smyth fan, I am. I was 4 the last time the Oil won the cup, so I grew up, identify with, and remember the talentless yet hard working oilers. Smyth to me exemplifies this as he never had the best tools, but made up for it by playing with 110% heart. Yeah he's older now and dropped off, and yeah leaving town over a $100k difference was a kick in the teeth (though I envision it as Smyth telling his agent he wants $X and his agent not going below that, while I feel Smyth himself would have accepted the $Y offered by Lowe if fully aware of the negotiations. Maybe I'm romanticising and that’s not how it went down but he's one of my fava’s as I said. But I digress...) but I was never in a financial position to purchase a Smyth jersey up to and including when he was traded, but he was always one of if not my favorite player.

Now, even though I can afford it I limit myself to 1 jersey a season. (I've got a nice little collection going.) And last year’s purchase was an Atlanta Thrashers home jersey the day after they moved. (Here’s hoping the Coyotes stay in Arizona at least one more year lol.) Which is why I've waited till now to order my long coveted Smyth Oilers sweater.

In my mind he was always the heart and soul of the Oilers I cheered for, and for that reason I am considering keeping it. However even if I feel it's what should have been, that C simply doesn't belong on that sweater.

Kodiak64

Dec 16, 2010
Edmonton
Ok, I've been sold. (possibly like a sucker)

I have contacted customer support and cancelled my request for a replacement.

If you see someone rocking a Ryan Smyth away jersey with a C on the chest, it's probably me.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
I'd still make some sort of complaint, you should be entitled to some sort of partial refund or future rebate. Tell them you only wanted the jersey for the home opener, and thus returning it and getting a different one is really of no use.

But that's just me, I love taking advantage of corporate screw-ups, the one time you get to be (a litttle bit) in control.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I'd return it. It makes you look either clueless or trying to make a statement other than "of support" when you wear something weird like that.

Stainsy

Time to improve
Jun 21, 2005
Ont.
www.parkerhousemotel.com
You could always tell people that Jason Smith was injured that day.

Nope. More like once Jason Smith was done, the other Smyth should have been Captain. That man bled Oiler blue, lost chicklets, set up winning goals in the playoffs, and should have been Captain. Wear it with pride, because I know Ryan would have, had he had the chance. Also would have been a far better captain that Ethan Moreau, ever was.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I'd still make some sort of complaint, you should be entitled to some sort of partial refund or future rebate. Tell them you only wanted the jersey for the home opener, and thus returning it and getting a different one is really of no use.

But that's just me, I love taking advantage of corporate screw-ups, the one time you get to be (a litttle bit) in control.

This, hell, if you call and complain enough and talk to enough supervisors, someone is finally just going to get sick of you and just let you keep it and send you the new one.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
That's an awesome jersey. I'd also keep it either way. Smyth is deserving of the C. I like this alternative universe theory also. Perhaps, the Oilers don't lose game 6, Smyth is never traded and we don't spend the last 5 years scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent.

Hunt4Oil

Sep 4, 2007
London On
That's an awesome jersey. I'd also keep it either way. Smyth is deserving of the C. I like this alternative universe theory also. Perhaps, the Oilers don't lose game 6, Smyth is never traded and we don't spend the last 5 years scraping the bottom of the barrel for talent.

They won game 6 4-0, it was game 7 they lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00