Confirmed with Link: Ryan signs PTO

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Maybe Yzerman thinks there is going to be an extended bench again this year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
svetch was drafted 2015 . played like 4 full seasons in gr . do his fans think that just maybe red wing brass has a good read on him ?
mean while ryan is a legit nhl talent thats just run out of gas , but can still be a valuable on ice coach during this rebuild era . ecspecially with 3 or more young forwards in the mix . and maybe ryan eventually becomes an organization developmental member . the svetch ship had sailed here . and im thinking ryan might be good to have here solely to teach veleno some power goal scoring moves , razz too

Svech played something close to a full season just once in his time in GR/Detroit. I think Detroit saw enough to have an opinion of him, but there really wasn't a ton to work with sample size wise. Considering how bad the Wings were/are, not signing one of Gagner/Ryan and shoving Svech over the board all season wouldn't have been a bad move, imo. I sort of wonder if the Wings weren't sold on the work Svech was putting in off the ice. Pure conjecture on my part, but he really seemed to be on the outs with this club for awhile now.

Regardless, wish the guy luck in Winnipeg.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
svetch was drafted 2015 . played like 4 full seasons in gr . do his fans think that just maybe red wing brass has a good read on him ?
mean while ryan is a legit nhl talent thats just run out of gas , but can still be a valuable on ice coach during this rebuild era . ecspecially with 3 or more young forwards in the mix . and maybe ryan eventually becomes an organization developmental member . the svetch ship had sailed here . and im thinking ryan might be good to have here solely to teach veleno some power goal scoring moves , razz too
Whatever. If you want Ryan to coach, hire him as a coach. No point in having him take up space on the ice.

Svech may well have been a long shot but I don't see any harm in trying anyway. Worst case scenario isn't any worse than what we actually saw.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't feel worked up about it, its only a PTO there is a strong chance it doesn't go any further than that. If it does I could see a season full of healthy scratches while younger players also get games. It's such an inconsequetial season I really don't care as long as key players get development in some form even if its not full duty. Almost the only thing I care about this season is some good news about kid development and our draft order.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Solid. A good vet around training camp/preseason to both help and push the kids to be better. Beyond that, we'll have to see how things play out.

Also, lol @ the Svechnikov talk. A true example of how people can get so attached to draft position, even years after it stopped mattering one iota. I expect MBH to carry that banner into at least the 2024-25 season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Who would he even bump? Smith? Who cares? If Raymond/Berg can't out play Ryan they need at least a year of AHL then anyway.

I do.
I always do.
I will almost always support playing the young kid who could get better over support playing the cruddy vet with nothing left in the tank.
I supported when we were good.
But when we're awful? WTF. it's not even a debate.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Solid. A good vet around training camp/preseason to both help and push the kids to be better. Beyond that, we'll have to see how things play out.

Also, lol @ the Svechnikov talk. A true example of how people can get so attached to draft position, even years after it stopped mattering one iota. I expect MBH to carry that banner into at least the 2024-25 season.
These are also often done as a professional courtesy. I know many here have distain for that kind of thing, but relationships matter in the small world of the NHL.

I always find cases of "PTOutrage" amusing.

For all we know, this might have been initiated by Ryan and his camp rather than an invite from the club itself, which isn't uncommon (IIRC, that was the case with Booth, Downey in 2010 and even Dan Cloutier way back).

Regardless of who originated it, the team gets plenty of value out of it:

A. Can't hurt to have as many veteran guys in the mix as possible when you have a whole bunch of kids coming in and experiencing the pro-level for the first time
B. With the pre-season going back to normal, they get some insurance to meet the 8 veteran minimum rule for when they split the squads for the road games, want to give other veteran guys the night off, or have some veteran guys injured
C. Keeps guys from getting complacent know that the Red Wings (especially) would be happy to give a spot to a veteran guy

That said, I can see where perhaps the Wings might be interested to see if he can be a fit as a more offensive RH shot considering they weren't able to make any sort of meaningful upgrade in that department, but have some upgrades at forward they could try him out with in Suter and Vrana and an actual top 4 LH PMD in Leddy.

Not sure who he would hypothetically displace in the line up though. Seems like the team values Gagner a lot than the fanbase for his ability to be a jack of all trades and master of none and Rowney is probably tabbed to get a heavy workload on the PK at least to start the year until they get guys like Stephens and Rasmussen comfortable in that role.

Though, like every year and every team, the Wings will likely have some guys banged up at the beginning of the season to create some openings, which kicks cutting someone down the road when (or even if) they get to full health. Perhaps Yzerman already anticipates having some guys deal with minor stuff since they have a handful of forwards who missed significant time last year, or at least ended the season hurt (Larkin, Bertuzzi, Stephens, Rowney and Fabbri).

Reactions: golffuul and Bench

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I always find cases of "PTOutrage" amusing.

For all we know, this might have been initiated by Ryan and his camp rather than an invite from the club itself, which isn't uncommon (IIRC, that was the case with Booth, Downey in 2010 and even Dan Cloutier way back).

Regardless of who originated it, the team gets plenty of value out of it:

A. Can't hurt to have as many veteran guys in the mix as possible when you have a whole bunch of kids coming in and experiencing the pro-level for the first time
B. With the pre-season going back to normal, they get some insurance to meet the 8 veteran minimum rule for when they split the squads for the road games, want to give other veteran guys the night off, or have some veteran guys injured
C. Keeps guys from getting complacent know that the Red Wings (especially) would be happy to give a spot to a veteran guy

That said, I can see where perhaps the Wings might be interested to see if he can be a fit as a more offensive RH shot considering they weren't able to make any sort of meaningful upgrade in that department, but have some upgrades at forward they could try him out with in Suter and Vrana and an actual top 4 LH PMD in Leddy.

Not sure who he would hypothetically displace in the line up though. Seems like the team values Gagner a lot than the fanbase for his ability to be a jack of all trades and master of none and Rowney is probably tabbed to get a heavy workload on the PK at least to start the year until they get guys like Stephens and Rasmussen comfortable in that role.

Though, like every year and every team, the Wings will likely have some guys banged up at the beginning of the season to create some openings, which kicks cutting someone down the road when (or even if) they get to full health. Perhaps Yzerman already anticipates having some guys deal with minor stuff since they have a handful of forwards who missed significant time last year, or at least ended the season hurt (Larkin, Bertuzzi, Stephens, Rowney and Fabbri).

Where's the outrage about a PTO?
Nice strawman.

The PTO shows how much Yzerman valued Ryan.
Not enough for even a minimum, two-way deal.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I do.
I always do.
I will almost always support playing the young kid who could get better over support playing the cruddy vet with nothing left in the tank.
I supported when we were good.
But when we're awful? WTF. it's not even a debate.

IF he plays in the NHL and that's a big IF it will be because the kids weren't NHL ready, and he outplayed bottom 6 plugs like Smith/Gagne/etc. No big deal, this team doesn't need Ryan/Smith/Gagne/whoever to rebuild anyway. And if one of the young wingers need a year in the AHL (and Berg will almost definitely need it, and Raymond will likely need half a season), that's not the end of the world.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Trading Stecher would solve this.
No trade value, he's a 7D making $1.7M. He'd easily clear waivers, would need to retain 50% just to give him away.

Ryan stinks.
And constantly playing SHITHOLE veterans over young kids is a terrible way to rebuild.
Barring injury at camp, Ryan's done here.
Ryan is slow. Svech is slower. Stevie likes fast wingers, neither really fit the bill. Both players are on PTO. No GM wanted to sign either player. So who really gives a shit, we're talking about bottom end talent. Neither one will have a meaningful long term impact.

I figured Ryan would get a PTO, didn't think it'd be with the Wings. I liked the signing last season, not so much this season, unless there's a taxi squad in which case I'd like to have a guy like Ryan on the squad.

Reactions: 14ari13

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Where's the outrage about a PTO?
Nice strawman.

The PTO shows how much Yzerman valued Ryan.
Not enough for even a minimum, two-way deal.

Bro, calm down. I was just having some fun with what @Bench said about disdain over PTO's.

My apologies if you got offended. If it makes you feel any better, I would totally give Jan Mursak a PTO over Bobby Ryan.

Reactions: jaster

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Bro, calm down. I was just having some fun with what @Bench said about disdain over PTO's.

I thought "PTOutrage" was really clever.

Your mistake was trying to have fun. You see, for some, we must always argue to the death over the most insignificant minutiae because internet forums foster that interaction so obviously it's the purpose, right? It's also exactly why forums are dying with a younger generation (how many young fans do we even see here anymore?) and being phased out in favor of Discord and Reddit where the greybeard contrarians find their posts buried, their gimmicks ignored. And with no mechanism to derail conversation on modern platforms they are largely made irrelevant more and more each passing day.

But yeah, as I was saying, very clever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad