Ryan Poehling scores his 1st career NHL goal (upd: hat trick)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I feel like people might be a bit too hasty with Poehling. I remember when I wasn't too hot on Mittelstadt back after his first NHL stint, but he disappointed this season.

Now, that doesn't mean that Poehling won't be a good player but he really needs to prove more before we can have him as a first liner, though 2nd liner is looking possible.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Weal was 5 for 11 in his career before last night attempt.

Of the 377 players who have 10 or more shootout attempts in their career since 2005-06, he was tied for 31st in scoring %.
I get it yeah. The win was important too. Insanely small sample size for Weal but whatever.

Glad he hit the post

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I get it yeah. The win was important too. Insanely small sample size for Weal but whatever.

Glad he hit the post
My point of contention is not that Julien was right in choosing Weal, but you wee condescending toward him.

He was 4th but kind of inexplicable considering who Julien put in as the third shooter (Weal)
It's quite apparent that you did not bother to check his stats in the shootout.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My point of contention is not that Julien was right in choosing Weal, but you wee condescending toward him.

It's quite apparent that you did not bother to check his stats in the shootout.
Yeah it's fine. Weal is a good shootout player. Better than drouin and Tatar.

I still was expecting RP in the top 3. And my language didn't really match my emotions on it. I don't bash coaches or gms. Check my history.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

I still was expecting RP in the top 3. And my language didn't really match my emotions on it. I don't bash coaches or gms. Check my history.
i felt like it was a bit disrespectful to not send Domi after the season he had + against the leafs... but thats me.

Brownies

I like when Coaches go by feelings in the shootout, going with people who looked confident in that particular game. Say what you want about the guy, but I thought Therrien was good at that most of the times. They won and it was awesome, but yeah I would’ve put Poehling in the first 3.... and probably Domi instead of Drouin but Claude was right on that one.

I was OK with Weal, man that guy has some good hands. Must have a lot of weaknesses we have not had the time to see, but he’s slick for a 4th liner.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
congrats to Poehling, I do however feel somewhat sorry for him living in the fishbowl of Montreal as expectations will be crazy for him based on this one game.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Except they really haven't been lol

Compelling argument, and also untrue.

Toronto was in a different conference and hasn't had nearly the same number of playoff matchups in modern hockey, nor have they had competitive teams to rival Montreal through the 60s-70s up to today. Why double down on a trivial point that is clearly wrong?

Reactions: stanley25 and Toene

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
The last time the Leafs were Montreal's rival, no man had walked on the moon and Led Zeppelin weren't formed yet.

Reactions: Mike8

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Well.. you cant really gauge his offensive upside at this point, but it was one of the concerns that the Habs had. I liked that he was solid at D, and was surprised at how physical he could be and loved that he cuts to the net in the rough spot. This is exactly what we would have loved to see from McCarron.

Heard a thought i liked about Poehling having more of a man's body than KK. I'm already extatic for next year. no sense in wasting Poehling or KK on a 4th line, but who do you move?
with Domi, Danault, Thompson and KK, I am excited to see what decisions are going to be taken. Also cant wait for Suzuki to try out, and to see if Romanov is ready for the big leagues.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

I know that you are better than what I read.

I could have been clearer about what I meant.

:cheers: but with a great Châteauneuf or Barolo/Barbaresco.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Compelling argument, and also untrue.

Toronto was in a different conference and hasn't had nearly the same number of playoff matchups in modern hockey, nor have they had competitive teams to rival Montreal through the 60s-70s up to today. Why double down on a trivial point that is clearly wrong?
You might want to have a second look at the 60s.

I know: I was there.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
You might want to have a second look at the 60s.

I know: I was there.

I think we're splitting hairs at this point, but my post discussed modern hockey (conventionally expansion era) and the 1960s-70s, and so 1967 is the commencement of that era. Montreal has faced Toronto in two playoff series since then, as compared to ~22 playoff encounters with Boston. This broader point on Boston being Montreal's clear rival in modern hockey is undebatable, and I suspect you'd agree.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
The Canadiens biggest rival are the Boston Bruins and have been for fifty years.

The Maple Leafs and Canadiens have not played a game of consequence against each other since the late 1960's... are you new to hockey?

50 years? I'd say Nordiques were the biggest rival in the last 50 years. Good point about the "no game of consequence" tho

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
50 years? I'd say Nordiques were the biggest rival in the last 50 years. Good point about the "no game of consequence" tho

The Bruins and Canadiens have played way more games that have mattered and have clashed in the playoffs way more often than the Quebec Nordiques. How many times did Montreal and Quebec meet in the playoffs in fifty years? Four times?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Anyone who is from the province of Quebec knows the biggest rivalry was Quebec vs Montreal, and it isn't even close. Outsiders trying to argue that is just hilariously embarassing.

habs nords burned hot and fast and a lot of it had little to do with hockey, but boston mtl is the gift that keeps on giving. boston is our biggest rival, then then nords then everyone else ( yes including the leafs) a distant third.

vendredi saint doesn't push them into 1st, and I think we are coming up on the 35 year anniversary.

good times, good times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad