Ryan Poehling scores his 1st career NHL goal (upd: hat trick)

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
For myself I’m just happy to see a late first round selection panning out. He showed he should be able to step in next year and help the team. He might be an awesome 2/3 center down the road. The more depth down the middle the better.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
The Bruins and Canadiens have played way more games that have mattered and have clashed in the playoffs way more often than the Quebec Nordiques. How many times did Montreal and Quebec meet in the playoffs in fifty years? Four times?

By that logic, Montreal has more of a rivalry with the Penguins than with the Senators.
I am a Habs fan and have seen both; it is not even close. Think Montreal vs Bruins and add the pressure of a whole province dividing in two (some would even say a country). Families divided all over the province.

I love games vs the Bruins, but Nordiques games wass another level. The last time the habs won the cup, they played quebec in the first round; I've never been so nervous lol

Gaud

May 11, 2017
habs nords burned hot and fast and a lot of it had little to do with hockey, but boston mtl is the gift that keeps on giving. boston is our biggest rival, then then nords then everyone else ( yes including the leafs) a distant third.

vendredi saint doesn't push them into 1st, and I think we are coming up on the 35 year anniversary.

good times, good times.

haha you beat me to the Good Friday Massacre. I was looking to find where i had seen a part about someone losing an eye there.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
By that logic, Montreal has more of a rivalry with the Penguins than with the Senators.
I am a Habs fan and have seen both; it is not even close. Think Montreal vs Bruins and add the pressure of a whole province dividing in two (some would even say a country). Families divided all over the province.

I love games vs the Bruins, but Nordiques games wass another level. The last time the habs won the cup, they played quebec in the first round; I've never been so nervous lol

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you if you think the Bruins aren't the Canadiens biggest rival other than that you are just plain wrong and you're ignoring decades and decades and decades of hockey to push forward a ten year window of hockey. It's frankly bizarre.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
haha you beat me to the Good Friday Massacre. I was looking to find where i had seen a part about someone losing an eye there.

having a big brawl doesnt make you a rival, if it did then the flyers and the senators would be rivals ( that was a beaut) and dallas and boston would be as well. rivalries are often geographic ( two teams in the same state/ province) but they have to be in the same damn conference at least so that they play each other alot. For the longest time, toronto wasnt so they are out. the nords, werent around long enough to make a lasting impression. sorry if this tweaks a nerve but its the truth.

when we did play them, sure, the games could get hot. but we just didnt play them enough. for a while, colorado detroit was humming, but outside of what 6 years it didnt have the juice to stay. no one, regardless of which team is better at the time, has ever suggested that the beef between montreal and boston could go poof. its a perpetual motion machine going on 50 years or more.every transgression by either team is simply added to an ever increasing file for context.

as for it " splitting families" that had absolutely zero to do with hockey.

boston-mtl isnt only the best rivalry for either team, it may well be the best rivalry in all of sports. the leafs would like to be our rival, but our dance card is full and they would be best off hitting up detroit or buffalo and seeing if those old flames can be rekindled.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
having a big brawl doesnt make you a rival, if it did then the flyers and the senators would be rivals ( that was a beaut) and dallas and boston would be as well. rivalries are often geographic ( two teams in the same state/ province) but they have to be in the same damn conference at least so that they play each other alot. For the longest time, toronto wasnt so they are out. the nords, werent around long enough to make a lasting impression. sorry if this tweaks a nerve but its the truth.

when we did play them, sure, the games could get hot. but we just didnt play them enough. for a while, colorado detroit was humming, but outside of what 6 years it didnt have the juice to stay. no one, regardless of which team is better at the time, has ever suggested that the beef between montreal and boston could go poof. its a perpetual motion machine going on 50 years or more.every transgression by either team is simply added to an ever increasing file for context.

as for it " splitting families" that had absolutely zero to do with hockey.

boston-mtl isnt only the best rivalry for either team, it may well be the best rivalry in all of sports. the leafs would like to be our rival, but our dance card is full and they would be best off hitting up detroit or buffalo and seeing if those old flames can be rekindled.

Agree to dissagree then - i lived in montreal during the 93 season when the habs won 4-2 in the series and I've never experienced anything more intense. And the "splitting families" thing definitely applies, since the context in Quebec is that it represented a national identity (yes i know it is a province) . It also had political flavours as Quebec city is seen as the symbol for separatists and Montreal as being non-separatist/pro-english, and this rivalry occured during times in which referendums were held.

interestingly, ive done some research on the matter and there is a pretty good debate going on, with solid references. I was flabbergasted to find that Don Cherry, who played and coached the Bruins, said that the nordiques were the biggest rivalry. He usually says bad things about Quebequois and Quebequoi players
Cherry: No rivalry matches Nordiques-Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Honestly, I don't know what to tell you if you think the Bruins aren't the Canadiens biggest rival other than that you are just plain wrong and you're ignoring decades and decades and decades of hockey to push forward a ten year window of hockey. It's frankly bizarre.

I dont see how this is so surprising, folks think Col and Det is one of the great rivalries, and that lasted what... 8 years? Most people ignore the 20 years with the Blues, or the great rivalries with Chicago and Leafs.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I dont see how this is so surprising, folks think Col and Det is one of the great rivalries, and that lasted what... 8 years? Most people ignore the 20 years with the Blues, or the great rivalries with Chicago and Leafs.

First of all, I don't really think actual educated fans that are aware of the history of the league would say Detroit/Colorado is one of the great rivalries. Maybe people that came of age in the late 90's and early 2000's. But even still, in the case of that rivalry, they were the two best teams in the league, battling for a chance to advance out of their conference with the Cup on the line.

That wasn't the case with the Nordiques and Canadiens. First of all, the Nordiques were never a threat to win a Cup during the window of "rivalry" and the only time one of the teams went on to a win a Cup was in 1993 and that was, by far, the least memorable match up between those two clubs. Quebec just rolled over and died.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
interestingly, ive done some research on the matter and there is a pretty good debate going on, with solid references. I was flabbergasted to find that Don Cherry, who played and coached the Bruins, said that the nordiques were the biggest rivalry. He usually says bad things about Quebequois and Quebequoi players
Cherry: No rivalry matches Nordiques-Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca

I love that you actually said "pretty solid references" and then in the next breath you cite Don Cherry.

Is Don Cherry your idea of a solid reference? You realize, with his usual hyperbole, he claimed Montreal/Quebec was the biggest rivalry in all of sports. He thinks its bigger than Red Sox/Yankees, bigger than Duke/Carolina, bigger than Lakers/Celtics, bigger than Packers/Bears, bigger than Ohio State/Michigan, bigger than Canada/Russia.

He's a fool. Please don't cite Don Cherry for anything, let alone calling him a solid reference, if you want anyone to take you seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDN24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->