Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Those who watched AHL games know that Poehling seemed to improve tremendously the 2nd half of Covid season. He is already NHL caliber, what his ceiling is remains to be seen.

His skating is MUCH more stable now, much less unnecessary shoulder rocking which caused lots puck bobbling.

Reactions: Tyson

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
See this is the silliness.... he isn't better with the puck on his stick until he actually proves that vs NHL competition.

He could be, but there is absolutely no evidence today that he is.

He wasn't a big scorer in college.

He had one great game in the NHL, and then had 1 goal 1 assist in his next 27

He got sent to the AHL and did little there in 19-20

He had a nice 25 games or so in the AHL last year, in a weird season against poor competition due to only facing 3 opponents, and the fact that taxi squads in the NHL removed what would be normal AHL talent.

Could he better than Danault offensively? Maybe, one day. But the idea that he's better with the puck on his stick today? that seems to just put unrealistic expectations on the kid, and then the same people will be calling him a bust next summer when he doesn't have 40 or 50 points.

lol Did I honestly not issue enough caveats in my post for you?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
See this is the silliness.... he isn't better with the puck on his stick until he actually proves that vs NHL competition.

He could be, but there is absolutely no evidence today that he is.

He wasn't a big scorer in college.

He had one great game in the NHL, and then had 1 goal 1 assist in his next 27

He got sent to the AHL and did little there in 19-20

He had a nice 25 games or so in the AHL last year, in a weird season against poor competition due to only facing 3 opponents, and the fact that taxi squads in the NHL removed what would be normal AHL talent.

Could he better than Danault offensively? Maybe, one day. But the idea that he's better with the puck on his stick today? that seems to just put unrealistic expectations on the kid, and then the same people will be calling him a bust next summer when he doesn't have 40 or 50 points.

"Until he proves it at the NHL level", we hear about that sentence since forever and its true for every kid, but why should we care about watching those kids at lower levels since we arent allowed to make projections based on what see since they arent proved till they play at the ultimate level??

I mean, some of us think that Poehling processes the game at a higher level with the puck on his stick and has more offense in him than Danault, you can agree or desagree, but if you do watch Poehling play since his draft year, thats a pretty legitimate take IMO and highly possibly an accurate one.

Personally Ive been saying for a while that Poehling had quicker hands and better offensive awarenesses than Danault, it seems a pretty obvious evidence to me, you dont even have to be a great hockey mind to see it.

Reactions: bryan1966

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Poehling possesses the tools to take the next step. His skating is easily NHL level. He is a big kid. Ceiling is probably 3rd line center and he will make a serious push for regular NHL duty this season.

I watched every Laval game last season and he was a man amongst boys most nights.

He is ready

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
LilUziPoehlss is intriguing. I think his ceiling is a competent 2nd line C. That is his potential IMHO.

But I'd be happy with him becoming a 30 points guy who cycles and can makes plays with a sound defensive game. Kind of like an Adam Lowry.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Poehling possesses the tools to take the next step. His skating is easily NHL level. He is a big kid. Ceiling is probably 3rd line center and he will make a serious push for regular NHL duty this season.

I watched every Laval game last season and he was a man amongst boys most nights.

He is ready

Age vs Age he’s projecting favourably over Danault right now, actually. You wouldn’t think that based on how some people talk about him.

He’s got a lot of tools that make him a better prospect than Danault was at the same age (IMO).

I agree with you that he’s ready.

Reactions: bryan1966 and Tyson

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
"Until he proves it at the NHL level", we hear about that sentence since forever and its true for every kid, but why should we care about watching those kids at lower levels since we arent allowed to make projections based on what see since they arent proved till they play at the ultimate level??

I mean, some of us think that Poehling processes the game at a higher level with the puck on his stick and has more offense in him than Danault, you can agree or desagree, but if you do watch Poehling play since his draft year, thats a pretty legitimate take IMO and highly possibly an accurate one.

Personally Ive been saying for a while that Poehling had quicker hands and better offensive awarenesses than Danault, it seems a pretty obvious evidence to me, you dont even have to be a great hockey mind to see it.

As I said before, there is little to suggest that Poehling will be a 2nd line centre in the NHL this year. In fact many people who have followed him for years, say that his upside is likely on the third line.

That's even after watching his 25 or so games with Laval last year. You can say he has quicker hands and better offensive game than Danault but I disagree.

His results in College don't suggest a future top six forward
His results in 2019-20 don't suggest a future top-six forward.
It is only last season that he showed that kind of offensive potential, and that must be weighed by the fact that he was playing a small sample of games (about 1/3 of a regular year), against bad competition (taxi squad and only 3 opponents made for a worse AHL than normal).

So yeah, the chances of him being a 2nd liner in the future are small, but still possible. He will still need more development though.

The chances he is a second liner and better than Danault right now.... zero. And its just setting unrealistic expectations to even say that he is.

This isn't Cole Caufield who has been an elite scorer at every level. Its not the same.

Reactions: barbu

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
As I said before, there is little to suggest that Poehling will be a 2nd line centre in the NHL this year. In fact many people who have followed him for years, say that his upside is likely on the third line.

That's even after watching his 25 or so games with Laval last year. You can say he has quicker hands and better offensive game than Danault but I disagree.

His results in College don't suggest a future top six forward
His results in 2019-20 don't suggest a future top-six forward.
It is only last season that he showed that kind of offensive potential, and that must be weighed by the fact that he was playing a small sample of games (about 1/3 of a regular year), against bad competition (taxi squad and only 3 opponents made for a worse AHL than normal).

So yeah, the chances of him being a 2nd liner in the future are small, but still possible. He will still need more development though.

The chances he is a second liner and better than Danault right now.... zero. And its just setting unrealistic expectations to even say that he is.

This isn't Cole Caufield who has been an elite scorer at every level. Its not the same.

I will revisit some of your points, we will start with your last one, Caufield. While his goalscoring abilities and skills were obvious, Caufield had a couple of question marks in his draft year regarding his future. First, his size. How many 5"7 players were playing in the big league in his draft year? 1 Debrincat who was arguably a better skater. Caufield's first season in Wisconsin has been difficult, he and the team struggled bad to play structured hockey, Caufield had all sort of trouble to handle the physicality of the league and was porous defensively to say the least, he was producing decently, but most Badgers fans hated his 2-way play and commitment. Most nights he was costing goals more than he was bringing to the table offensively. In his sophomore (this year), he started the year about where he left, he wasnt consistent and was cheating alot on the ice, his play was making me sick at times... But after some games, his game started to shape up, I think the turning point was the games against Arizona State, a really bad team that they lost twice to, both games were broadcasted by RDS and watched by alot of Habs fans, in those games Caufield's weaknessess were exposed and he didnt look good at all, so that made alot of noise and created some debates among "experts", some were doubting about his future and all. Strangely, after those games Caufield started to play with much more poise, consistecy and commitment, I think the WJC also helped to realize what it takes to win and we know the rest of the story, he was a beast in the 2nd half and made his way on the Habs top line and 1st PP unit. IMO, Caufield had a spectacular progression, his 200 ft. work looked so far away last year and early the last season. When I look back, I think playing for a stacked NDTP program didnt help him to develop good habits, that team was so stacked that they could win on skills alone, the defensive part of the game and paying attention to details wasnt really a priority. Hugues had a tough rookie season as well, he wasnt ready to jump in at 18.

About Poehling now. We are all aware that his production in the NCAA stagnated and that he projects more as a third line center than a solid top 6. But we all saw his WJC tenure as well and saw some undeniable potenital, the skills arent outstanding, but they are there. You dont win the MVP award in a such competition on luck whatever the level competition of some nations. Poehling displayed quick hands, a very high pace and capacity to bring his game at another level when it counts. He was solid on 200 ft., was making plays and generating offense on most shifts. As I said, a more offensively gifted Danault is what I think he projects, we will see how his defensive game and faceoffs skills evolve, but I do think he has the smarts to get there, or close to it after some seasoning... Keep in mind that Danault played as our number #1 - #2 center only because we had no better to offer, meanwhile Poehling has Suzuki and KK over him in the depth chart. So I have no problem to have a kid like Poehling as third line center on a contender. I do have problem to have a Danault as #2 line center on a bubble team.

Edit: Last point I wanted to clear. Struggling at your 1st pro season is what about 95% of the kids have to go through and Poehling isnt an exception. He still was more productive than what Danault offered at the same age, same level, the difference comes at their 2nd pro season, Danault is about 0.5 PPG game while Poehling close to the PPG. ;)

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who cares if he's better than Danault right now.. the team has taken a massive step back and it wasn't even that good to begin with. I hope they give him more AHL time rather than stick him at 4th line center.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
His trajectory reminds me a bit of Chris Higgins, but our prospect pool is much better now than when Higgins was breaking in. Higgins did well after 2 AHL seasons.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Who cares if he's better than Danault right now.. the team has taken a massive step back and it wasn't even that good to begin with. I hope they give him more AHL time rather than stick him at 4th line center.

I dont agree, the lost of Weber will hurt a bit, but he spent most of the last season injured and couldnt score anymore on the PP. His leadership will be missed, but I think the core is solid enough. We replaced him with Savard who is a good #4. Thats not bad. On D, we lack a puckmoving defenseman and PP quarterback, we will see what Norlinder has to offer, then we still have Petry and Romanov.

Up front Caufield only played 10 regular season games, he will be there from the start. Suzuki and KK will have another summer to bulk up and gained alot of experience last playoffs, we added furthermore goalscoring and talent in Hoffman, our PP especially should be much better next year. We lost Danault, Tatar, we adds Poehling, Perreault and possibly Ylonen at some point in the season, so no big deal to me, our 3rd line will be more offensively minded, thats all. We will ice a very dynamic and fast paced team, we should be very fun to watch.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

Danault started as a 4th line winger for us, same thing for Evans. These players (potential 3rd line Cs) have to earn their NHL time and it most of the time starts with the 4th line. Good news is that on the Habs, the 4th lines plays 12-13 minutes a night which is plenty for allowing players to develop

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Chipchura was slowwww . Poehling is a good skater and he's fast

Chipchura was never fast, but when he tore his achilles he got even slower.

Poehling can skate. He's got an NHL career ahead of him, I don't doubt that. I'm not sure about his offence though. I think he tops out as a third liner.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Poehling recently stated he would play wing if that was where he was needed but he flat out said he is a center and enjoys playing that position.

Reactions: BLONG7

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He reminds me a bit of a Kyle Chipchura type pick. Who will play in the NHL on the 4th line.
Other than people thinking Poehling with be a 3rd line guy, him and Chipchura are completely different players. Poehling's skating, speed and mobility are far better than Chipchura. He also has a better shot.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I dont agree, the lost of Weber will hurt a bit, but he spent most of the last season injured and couldnt score anymore on the PP. His leadership will be missed, but I think the core is solid enough. We replaced him with Savard who is a good #4. Thats not bad. On D, we lack a puckmoving defenseman and PP quarterback, we will see what Norlinder has to offer, then we still have Petry and Romanov.

Up front Caufield only played 10 regular season games, he will be there from the start. Suzuki and KK will have another summer to bulk up and gained alot of experience last playoffs, we added furthermore goalscoring and talent in Hoffman, our PP especially should be much better next year. We lost Danault, Tatar, we adds Poehling, Perreault and possibly Ylonen at some point in the season, so no big deal to me, our 3rd line will be more offensively minded, thats all. We will ice a very dynamic and fast paced team, we should be very fun to watch.

I agree with your post! Although I think the first half of next season will be rough. The loss of Danault will change the style of the team’s play and they will no longer have a go to defensive line and face off guy (unless they acquire one late). I also think that with the lack of PMD it will show that our forward group isn’t stylistically suited for a bigger, slower d-core, as they will need quicker transitions to highlight their skillsets.

I think finding that new balance and confidence in new roles will take time, and that may mean a less competitive team to start with in a highly competitive division.

But who knows, maybe Dom is smarter than he looks and will have a new system that compliments the team better for next season.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

He is ready
This is great to hear...
It seems like he took it all very seriously last year.
Will he be given the chance? Not likely....hope I am wrong. He would have to move out Paquette, and we all know that is highly unlikely....he could jump into Byron's spot though?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We lost Danault man..........not Patrcice Bergeron.....lol
Using the word massive, seems a little overkill. One of the guys will step into that spot, no worries. If not, they pick up a vet to help with those responsibilities....
People need to relax....

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Its not just you, its a common theme in the last few pages of this thread that Poehling is already better offensively than Danault.
Claiming that Poehling is already better offensively than Danault isn't really setting the bar very high. Hopefully he can score more than 5 goals a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad