Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 6 - Recalled to the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
A few quotes from this article:

“I wasn’t happy getting sent down, because I felt like I did all the right things; did what they asked. And I thought I did them well. So, I was a bit shocked I would say.”

^ seems like he didn't get feedback on his performance or given a reason why he was demoted. Being unhappy or upset is fine, natural even. Being 'shocked' tells me that expectations of the player and management weren't aligned.

“It’s good. It’s definitely reassuring for sure,” Poehling said of his general manager’s endorsement, of which he hadn’t heard prior to Wednesday.

^ Poehling had to find out from a tweet that he would likely be recalled relatively soon.

You are really stretching here.

The quotes, if taken literally, suggest he thought he did enough to make the team and is disappointed to be sent down. And upon hearing of a positive quote from MB, happy that his GM endorsed him.

There is nothing in the quote that suggests he never received feedback from MGM’t. And that doesn’t pass the sniff test if you understand what a training camp entails.....constant, real time feedback. He also would have been told he was cut or on the bubble in his exit interview, these things are always handled one on one. I mean, we all knew he was on the bubble but he didn’t?

I don’t see anything more but you are free to engage in any fantasy that suits the narrative. I am sure there will thousands of post and hundreds of pinheads yelling that we are ruining his dev, starting tonight.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He didn't sound very happy to be sent down. Not good for the room.

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/rocket/poehling-secoue-par-la-decision-du-canadien-1.6953466

The AHL rooms could really be awful. Think about it, the AHL is full of guys who are just not good enough to be in the NHL and never will be, guys who used to be NHL players and are no longer that, and young guys wanting to get to the NHL asap. Set up for a toxic environment ? But you know what, I am guessing the rooms are fine and the guys okay since they still get to play hockey for a living, and you always hope I guess.

Poehling being pissed is fine, as long as he reacts the right way and works hard. I have no doubt that he will, he makes a point of proving people wrong.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Fully expect a guy to be "upset". It' s the right attitude compared to being mute about it.

The guys got some fire. He's not going to be a sourpuss in the dressing room. This is not an entitled kid.
Pacioretty was pissed as well when he was sent down a few years back. He ended up ok!

If Poeling shows he dominates at the AHL level, he won't stay there for long.

Reactions: azcanuck

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
For anyone thinking the team didn’t talk to Poehling about what’s next here is the MB quote in full about Poehling coming back up soon:

“As I mentioned to Ryan this morning, it’s a question of time until he returns to Montreal,” the Canadiens GM said in a news conference.

Reactions: dralaf

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A few quotes from this article:

“I wasn’t happy getting sent down, because I felt like I did all the right things; did what they asked. And I thought I did them well. So, I was a bit shocked I would say.”

^ seems like he didn't get feedback on his performance or given a reason why he was demoted. Being unhappy or upset is fine, natural even. Being 'shocked' tells me that expectations of the player and management weren't aligned.

“It’s good. It’s definitely reassuring for sure,” Poehling said of his general manager’s endorsement, of which he hadn’t heard prior to Wednesday.

^ Poehling had to find out from a tweet that he would likely be recalled relatively soon.
This is ridiculous. Jeez.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
You are really stretching here.

The quotes, if taken literally, suggest he thought he did enough to make the team and is disappointed to be sent down. And upon hearing of a positive quote from MB, happy that his GM endorsed him.

There is nothing in the quote that suggests he never received feedback from MGM’t. And that doesn’t pass the sniff test if you understand what a training camp entails.....constant, real time feedback. He also would have been told he was cut or on the bubble in his exit interview, these things are always handled one on one. I mean, we all knew he was on the bubble but he didn’t?

I don’t see anything more but you are free to engage in any fantasy that suits the narrative. I am sure there will thousands of post and hundreds of pinheads yelling that we are ruining his dev, starting tonight.

Looks like you've settled on your narrative.

In any case, if you've read my posts I never claimed that this was bad for his development, it's about what seems to be a lack of communication and misaligned expectations between the player and management. I honestly can't recall a player using the word "shocked" to describe being sent down. In Bergevin's press conference he said that they liked what they saw, but they needed to see more given that he only played two games compared to 4-5 like other young players. If that were the reason, and Poehling knew it, there is no way the news would have been shocking to him.

And you haven't addressed why MB's endorsement was tweeted by Engels on Tuesday but Poehling didn't hear of it until Wednesday. Shouldn't the player hear that first? And if he did, wouldn't that have been likely to mellow his response? I usually don't indulge in speculation on what goes on behind the scenes, but this seems like a particularly odd reaction for getting sent down so I'm making an exception.

And I agree with you, I'm sure there is constant, real-time feedback happening on ice level during practice and games. Just doesn't seem to have been much communication taking place in anyone's office.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Looks like you've settled on your narrative.

In any case, if you've read my posts I never claimed that this was bad for his development, it's about what seems to be a lack of communication and misaligned expectations between the player and management. I honestly can't recall a player using the word "shocked" to describe being sent down. In Bergevin's press conference he said that they liked what they saw, but they needed to see more given that he only played two games compared to 4-5 like other young players. If that were the reason, and Poehling knew it, there is no way the news would have been shocking to him.

And you haven't addressed why MB's endorsement was tweeted by Engels on Tuesday but Poehling didn't hear of it until Wednesday. Shouldn't the player hear that first? And if he did, wouldn't that have been likely to mellow his response? I usually don't indulge in speculation on what goes on behind the scenes, but this seems like a particularly odd reaction for getting sent down so I'm making an exception.

And I agree with you, I'm sure there is constant, real-time feedback happening on ice level during practice and games. Just doesn't seem to have been much communication taking place in anyone's office.

Poehling hadn’t heard the MB quote. But he had heard that he would be back soon. The quote that he hadn’t heard yet actually states that MB said he would be back soon. MB was literally saying “I talked to Ryan this morning and told him he would be up soon”.

I don’t have any angle here, I am just reading what is actually being said. Poehling was shocked, pissed, upset, angry. I think that’s great, he is emoting. But it tells us exactly zero about what the team and player discussed. The Athletic article on Poehling has this all laid out.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Jul 6, 2016
Poehling hadn’t heard the MB quote. But he had heard that he would be back soon. The quote that he hadn’t heard yet actually states that MB said he would be back soon. MB was literally saying “I talked to Ryan this morning and told him he would be up soon”.

I don’t have any angle here, I am just reading what is actually being said. Poehling was shocked, pissed, upset, angry. I think that’s great, he is emoting. But it tells us exactly zero about what the team and player discussed. The Athletic article on Poehling has this all laid out.

"shocked, pissed, upset, angry.".... So what ? A NHL paycheck is way better than an AHL one for sure.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Ffwd a few years...

Same posters diminishing the stupidity of the Habs roster management, will have the pitchforks ready when Poehling uses whatever leverage he has to get out of Mtl, blaming him for lacking "loyalty" or "not being a team guy"....

Bottom line, Poehling made the mistake of believing MB's bs before he signed last year & is now facing the reality that his boss is dishonest & the team is not focused on putting the best possible lineup on the ice...

"Younger & faster".... Believe the hype & you'll get burnt.

Reactions: abo9

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Why do things always have to be taking so.....dramatic? Sounds more to me that he's taking it like a man, not happy but not gonna cry a river. Anyone in his shoes would feel the same way. to go on and suggest he's bad for a room? wow. All title of the media in that regards are so dramatic making something out of nothing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why do things always have to be taking so.....dramatic? Sounds more to me that he's taking it like a man, not happy but not gonna cry a river. Anyone in his shoes would feel the same way. to go on and suggest he's bad for a room? wow. All title of the media in that regards are so dramatic making something out of nothing.
Because they are. 4 years without POs, Molson says we may still have 8 to wait. 26 years without a cup. 6 years without a PO win. This team is a joke.

Reactions: Capitano

Michelb2018

Oct 7, 2017
He was hit again last night, in the back and on the board- did not pay attention if he came back....meaning did not notice him all game long either...yet my attention was not all there...any body knows?

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
He was hit again last night, in the back and on the board- did not pay attention if he came back....meaning did not notice him all game long either...yet my attention was not all there...any body knows?

I was at the game last night . He played complete game even after the hit. He looked good in his first AHL game, had a couple of chances to score, but what was noticeable was his 200ft game. hard back checks all the time, good coverage deep in his dzone.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I was at the game last night . He played complete game even after the hit. He looked good in his first AHL game, had a couple of chances to score, but what was noticeable was his 200ft game. hard back checks all the time, good coverage deep in his dzone.
Is he ready to center Tatar and Gallagher yet? Or does he need five or ten more games against AHLers first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad