Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 4 (No MB talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
If you are going to go get a solid 2C, where are you playing Kotkaniemi? 4th line center? Or are you moving Domi to wing? Pretty sure you are saying we go with Domi, ????, Danault as our top 3C's right? Are you playing Kotkaniemi in the AHL to develop?

I’d play domi 1C, whoever they get at 2c, Kk at 3C. I would move Danault to wing and or platoon him at c when needed. Heck, I might look at him for 4c with a Byron and someone else to have a good 4th line. It’s not ideal but I think KK needs 1 or 2 more years to become a legit 1 or 2c. He needs time to develop,and the third line is a good spot for that.

I see KK pushing out the 2c soon or even becoming a #1 which allows Domi to go to the wing. At this point I see Danault sliding back in to 3C. In the short term Danault adds skill to the wing. I don’t think this team is good enough down the middle with him at 2c.

Of course who knows how Phoeling fits in. We are seeing a log jam at C which is a good problem to have.

IMO, next year they need a 2c, a legit scorer on the wing, help on left D, and a better backup. It’s time to give Lindgren a shot but if he is not ready then they need to go get someone better than Niemi. Of course that is my wish list, is it possible or plausible, who knows? I’m a fan and can dream.

Jul 6, 2016
I’d play domi 1C, whoever they get at 2c, Kk at 3C. I would move Danault to wing and or platoon him at c when needed. Heck, I might look at him for 4c with a Byron and someone else to have a good 4th line. It’s not ideal but I think KK needs 1 or 2 more years to become a legit 1 or 2c. He needs time to develop,and the third line is a good spot for that.

I see KK pushing out the 2c soon or even becoming a #1 which allows Domi to go to the wing. At this point I see Danault sliding back in to 3C. In the short term Danault adds skill to the wing. I don’t think this team is good enough down the middle with him at 2c.

Of course who knows how Phoeling fits in. We are seeing a log jam at C which is a good problem to have.

IMO, next year they need a 2c, a legit scorer on the wing, help on left D, and a better backup. It’s time to give Lindgren a shot but if he is not ready then they need to go get someone better than Niemi. Of course that is my wish list, is it possible or plausible, who knows? I’m a fan and can dream.

Moving Danault to the wing is totally stupid. Dropping him to a 3rd line is the best possibility. Think again.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Moving Danault to the wing is totally stupid. Dropping him to a 3rd line is the best possibility. Think again.

The problem is where does KK play? He is not ready for full time 1 or 2c. If he is mtl the third line is best suited for him. From what I see KK is two years from being a 1/2c. I don’t like Danault at 2c but don’t want to lose him nor do I want to start next year with the same c position, it just isn’t good enough.

I like what they have coming at c but in the short term it’s not good enough and LD needs to be resolved this summer.

Jul 6, 2016
The problem is where does KK play? He is not ready for full time 1 or 2c. If he is mtl the third line is best suited for him. From what I see KK is two years from being a 1/2c. I don’t like Danault at 2c but don’t want to lose him nor do I want to start next year with the same c position, it just isn’t good enough.

It's not bad either. They have to fix the PP first above all, and add another good top-four LD.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It's not bad either. They have to fix the PP first above all, and add another good top-four LD.

I agree with pp and left D for sure. However, if they start next year with the same C it is not good enough.

The kids are going to need sometime to develop (IMO 2yrs at the very least) and staying with this lineup down the middle ensures that they will be a fringe playoff team.

I feel they have a good #1 & #3 but not a legitimate number 2. I also believe with some good additions they can take another step forward to becoming serious playoff team. Danault is the guy that gets moved around until KK is ready. He has had a great year but I don’t think this team can contend with Bos, TO, TB or any of the heavy weights with him at 2c. They need to be better down the middle, add more scoring from the wing and fix that LD. I don’t think these moves are impossible but who knows

Last edited:

MC94

May 13, 2018
I agree with pp and left D for sure. However, if they start next year with the same C it is not good enough.

The kids are going to need sometime to develop (IMO 2yrs at the very least) and staying with this lineup down the middle ensures that they will be a fringe playoff team.

I feel they have a good #1 & #3 but not a legitimate number 2. I also believe with some good additions they can take another step forward to becoming serious playoff team. Danault is the guy that gets moved around until KK is ready. He has had a great year but I don’t think this team can contend with Bos, TO, TB or any of the heavy weights with him at 2c. They need to be better down the middle, add more scoring from the wing and fix that LD. I don’t think these moves are impossible but who knows
Seems like your looking for a Duchene? Better get that cheque book ready!

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Really looking forward to seeing more of this kid. Like most, I'd like to see him get lots of time with Joel Bouchard in Laval. Whether that's 1/2 a season, 1 season, 2 seasons...just lots of time to develop his game, become a pro, and be able to come in and immediately be an impact player somewhere in the top 9.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Seems like your looking for a Duchene? Better get that cheque book ready!

They got the cap space and the cash to do it. The team is showing some promise so they should go out and try to make some significant improvements. They should take a serious look at Hayes, Duchene, Panarin, Karlsson, Pavalski, etc or try to snag someone who is under contract but the team needs to make cap room.

They have some good prospects who are a few years out from being top 6 guys. However, they have the cap space to really improve this team in the short term. I like what they did this year but this summer it’s time to add, especially if it is only going to cost cash and space. They have plenty of both. This team has been entertaining but a few good signings could make a huge improvement and they owe it to thier loyal fan base.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They got the cap space and the cash to do it. The team is showing some promise so they should go out and try to make some significant improvements. They should take a serious look at Hayes, Duchene, Panarin, Karlsson, Pavalski, etc or try to snag someone who is under contract but the team needs to make cap room.

They have some good prospects who are a few years out from being top 6 guys. However, they have the cap space to really improve this team in the short term. I like what they did this year but this summer it’s time to add, especially if it is only going to cost cash and space. They have plenty of both.

Hayes or Duchene might consider the Habs. Doubt Panarin, Karlsson would. Pavalsky is too old for our team core IMO. Turns 35 this July

I do agree it time to add... but we need to add impact players. Don't spend our cap space just cause we feel we have to.

Reactions: Acadien86

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Hayes or Duchene might consider the Habs. Doubt Panarin, Karlsson would. Pavalsky is too old for our team core IMO. Turns 35 this July

I do agree it time to add... but we need to add impact players. Don't spend our cap space just cause we feel we have to.

I totally agree, use the cash wisely but be aggressive this summer chasing impact players there are a few out there.. I feel with some good signings and a couple of smart trades this team could be in the mix very soon.

I like pavelski he has got lots of game left (34 this summer) and might take a 2 or 3 year deal. Who knows!

Jul 6, 2016

I like what they have coming at c but in the short term it’s not good enough and LD needs to be resolved this summer.

KK will possibly start next season on the 3rd line and progress towards being a second line centre through the year.

Poehling will play on the 4th or be top-two centerman in Laval

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
KK will possibly start next season on the 3rd line and progress towards being a second line centre through the year.

Poehling will play on the 4th or be top-two centerman in Laval

Kk should start 3 next year but I don’t see him taking the number 2, maybe the season after. IMo, they need a legit 2 now.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Domi could be playing on the wing and it wouldn't change his effectiveness, he's the least natural center of the four centers we're talking about.

Something is definitely wrong here. We have been bemoaning a #1 center for decades. Then Lady Luck takes pity on us and hands us one on a silver platter. And what do we do? With absolutely no irony in our voices we discuss moving him to the wing. And for an unproven rookie to boot. I don't want to get an infraction so I won't say what I think of this insanity.

If Poehling proves next year that he is up to the task of centering a line in the NHL then our centers will be:
Domi, Danault, KK and Poehling and in that freaking order.

Reactions: Sorinth

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Poehling is currently digesting the cruel elimination with St Cloud. Everything is happening very suddenly. Leaving some days to deal with it. In a gradual manner. Force nothing. Already coming to Montreal directly was something a little bit unexpected. Minnesota was his home since day 1. Growing there with his family, friends. Now, by himself he'll grow up in a new city.

His supposedly games would be based more on his integration. Having a broad idea of what he'll expect in the NHL. Learning theoretically and practising into this new universe. All that during a playoff month race it's something he'd never forget.

In that way, he could later in the summertime be focus more on others essential objectives and targets. Tools will be filled in his baggage. Will be acclimatized to our city by then as his newest hometown.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Why is it stupid? He can still be a strong defensive presence on the wing. Gainey was one of the best defensive players ever and he was a LW, Jere Lehtinen won multiple Selke trophies and was also a winger.

Reactions: Habby4Life

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I understand that, I still can’t justify moving Domi to the wing in order to fit Poehling in at center? He just had the best season by a forward in a decade and were putting him on the wing?

I think Domi would be an absolute force on the wings, if not better. We'll never know until we try it.

We're forcing a natural center to the wing, I don't like that. I hope he's used as our 4C next year.

I feel like if Julien puts him on the wings once, he'll stick him there forever.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I think Domi would be an absolute force on the wings, if not better. We'll never know until we try it.

We're forcing a natural center to the wing, I don't like that. I hope he's used as our 4C next year.

I feel like if Julien puts him on the wings once, he'll stick him there forever.

If he truly is a smart PLAYER, he can play any forward spot,seriously.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
If he truly is a smart PLAYER, he can play any forward spot,seriously.

True, but I still think Domi is ideally a winger. His defensive game isn't what you'd expect from a #1C, and he f***ing sucks at faceoffs tbh. I think the reason everyone loves him at center right now (myself included) is because he just put up 70 points. But I'd wager he could do that on LW as well, he is absolutely elite.

I'd like to see Kotkaniemi centering Domi in a few years, I feel like those two would be lethal together.

Call me crazy, but Domi will hit 80+ points if he ever gets paired with Kotkaniemi. He's a top ~20 forward in the league for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad