Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 4 - Big Man on Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Only in MTL do we make room for mediocre players like Danault instead of talents like Kotkaniemi and Poehling. ****ing ridiculous.

But we're not there yet. Danault not playing on the PP should be an indicator of where they see him in the future.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Only in MTL do we make room for mediocre players like Danault instead of talents like Kotkaniemi and Poehling. ****ing ridiculous.
This exactly, it got old years ago watching nobodies play more minutes than future top talents I've given up hoping for anything different

Reactions: Mrb1p

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Your opinion would be taken more seriously if you didn't exaggerate. Kotkaniemi and Poehling, IMO, have more talent than Danault, I agree, but that doesn't make Danault a mediocre player.

Reactions: Acadien86 and Deebs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Danault is our only trusted center. Kotkaniemi is being sheltered. Danault is a solid middle 2 center piece. Stop jumping on his back. He shows up game after game and does what the coach wants. It's not Danault's fault that we have to use him more than we should.

- Kotkaniemi can try to be our #1C moving forward
- Poehling and Danault can fight for the middle two spots moving forword
- Domi is moved to wing when Poehling shows that he is ready
- Olofsson and Evans provide depth in case of injuries.

Nothing wrong with our center depth except for we need to wait for the young talent to develop and show ability to provide value for us. Don't blame Danault or Julien for this.

Reactions: Acadien86 and Deebs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just like how we are supposed to be in the basement right now? Good thing people complained about how the franchise was ruined before the season started. :sarcasm:

Same BS the doomsday people predicted after the 2015/2016 season. It's very weird how some ignore the reasons why we have off years... Injuries to our key players. Trust me, they are waiting for the right time to strike again! They won't believe in our team until we draft Crosby/Malkin in back to back drafts. Sorry to tell you, the Oilers tried this and are in no better situation than the Habs.

Lets look at what we have and build from it in terms of today's potential and the future. We have great momentum going with both our current team and prospect pool.

Reactions: Acadien86

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just like how we are supposed to be in the basement right now? Good thing people complained about how the franchise was ruined before the season started. :sarcasm:
It isnt trending any better.

The unwillingness to commit to an actual plan is going to keep us in the mediocre bunch for the rest of this decade and the next.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Same BS the doomsday people predicted after the 2015/2016 season. It's very weird how some ignore the reasons why we have off years... Injuries to our key players. Trust me, they are waiting for the right time to strike again!

Exactly! I can't help but wonder if those fans even enjoy the success we are having right now.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Same BS the doomsday people predicted after the 2015/2016 season. It's very weird how some ignore the reasons why we have off years... Injuries to our key players. Trust me, they are waiting for the right time to strike again!
I mean, since the 1516 season weve made the POs once, no one on the team has had any success, weve won one PO game and it isnt trending better.

You may be a new fan or something or overly optimistic, but im sick and tired of being a fan of a mediocre team, especially one that is the 2nd or 3rd richest in the league.

Reactions: habsfan891

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I mean, since the 1516 season weve made the POs once, no one on the team has had any success, weve won one PO game and it isnt trending better.

You may be a new fan or something or overly optimistic, but im sick and tired of being a fan of a mediocre team, especially one that is the 2nd or 3rd richest in the league.
There is absolutely nothing worse than a mediocre team imo not bad enough to get exciting players through drafting and not good enough to have any real shot at winning a cup just an awful place to be

Reactions: Mrb1p

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
It isnt trending any better.

The unwillingness to commit to an actual plan is going to keep us in the mediocre bunch for the rest of this decade and the next.

What success? Being 8th in the EC is success? This is exactly what shouldnt happen.

Our future is looking good, I don't see the need to tank. Don't get me wrong, I was all for tanking, but I realized how well the team is playing while being one of the youngest of the league (if not the youngest). I believe experience would help our young players and the one coming up. From 16-20 I think we can find a great prospect. I have Thomas Harley, Jakob Pelletier, Alex Turcotte and Raphael Lavoie in mind.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly! I can't help but wonder if those fans even enjoy the success we are having right now.

Heading into the season I said I preferred to insert Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Brook, Suzuki all at once but in the 19/20 season. My plan would be to delay our rebound so we could possibly get another top 10 pick. Have a meeting with the vets and tell them we will be going through growing pains for one more year yet.

However, I also listened to what Bergevin said and I factored in a healthier roster and the pride/rebound factor. No way I thought we would have a start to the year this season like we did last season (worse start in franchise history). I said we will possibly be a fringe wild card team and got attacked for it by the grumpy ones. Trust me, they are waiting in the shadows waiting for their time to strike again! haha

We are too legit to tank and we are not good enough to be a top 10 team IMO. But if we can add two pieces (Top 4LD and a power forward who can score), I think this gives us an edge and our roster is the best roster we have had in a decade. Muzzin and Stone would provide what we need. Would we be a top 5 cup contender? Possibly not but we could win a cup like the Bruins and Kings have. If we don't, we still have pieces to build on moving forward.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Your opinion would be taken more seriously if you didn't exaggerate. Kotkaniemi and Poehling, IMO, have more talent than Danault, I agree, but that doesn't make Danault a mediocre player.

He is the definition of a mediocre player though. Just like Byron, Lekhonen, Shaw, Armia, and co. Theyre all middle 6 players and that is being a mediocre player. With RP, Domi and Kotkaniemi we have three shots at 60 points plus C, but were going to keep Dunno at C because hes so much of a beauty defensively and because the coach likes him so much and because he works so hard and because hes french and because hes a good move by Bergevin and because we love grinder and mediocre players in MTL because it reminds us that the francophone were working class and the shoves that type of player down our throat telling us lies and overhyping him like "Danault is part of the elite" ..... Hes at 53% FO wise FFS can you STFU about that, weve had a center at 53% every year since 1920 except last year. Where was that Carbonneau/Bergeron praise when Eller did the same job for ten years? Plekanec for twenty ? Oh right, they dont fit that agenda.

Funny enough, the same people who hated on Plekanec and Eller are pushing for Danaults usage.

f***ing bunch of snakes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is absolutely nothing worse than a mediocre team imo not bad enough to get exciting players through drafting and not good enough to have any real shot at winning a cup just an awful place to be

Except we are not a mediocre team. We are just not a top 10 team. But when you remove the top 10 teams, we are right there! Add two key pieces and we can get in the 5-10 range IMO.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Our future is looking good, I don't see the need to tank. Don't get me wrong, I was all for tanking, but I realized how well the team is playing while being one of the youngest of the league (if not the youngest). I believe experience would help our young players and the one coming up. From 16-20 I think we can find a great prospect. I have Thomas Harley, Jakob Pelletier, Alex Turcotte and Raphael Lavoie in mind.
Its not about tanking. This ship has sailed and it was never my point, its about the unwillingness to commit to the young players.

Even Danault himself didnt get to play regularly before he was 23.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Heading into the season I said I preferred to insert Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Brook, Suzuki all at once but in the 19/20 season. My plan would be to delay our rebound so we could possibly get another top 10 pick. Have a meeting with the vets and tell them we will be going through growing pains for one more year yet.

However, I also listened to what Bergevin said and I factored in a healthier roster and the pride/rebound factor. No way I thought we would have a start to the year this season like we did last season (worse start in franchise history). I said we will possibly be a fringe wild card team and got attacked for it by the grumpy ones. Trust me, they are waiting in the shadows waiting for their time to strike again! haha

We are too legit to tank and we are not good enough to be a top 10 team IMO. But if we can add two pieces (Top 4LD and a power forward who can score), I think this gives us an edge and our roster is the best roster we have had in a decade. Muzzin and Stone would provide what we need. Would we be a top 5 cup contender? Possibly not but we could win a cup like the Bruins and Kings have. If we don't, we still have pieces to build on moving forward.

Agreed. We also have to keep in mind that we have cap space to bring a few players at the deadline. With the right moves, we could actually go further than we think. Although, I'd like to keep our blue chip prospect and 1st pick unless we have a legit player signed longterm coming back.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Its not about tanking. This ship has sailed and it was never my point, its about the unwillingness to commit to the young players.

Even Danault himself didnt get to play regularly before he was 23.

Kotkaniemi's ice time is perfect how it is right now imo. Next year, we should see him on the ice more often, I have no doubt. I would have questions about it if he wasn't responsible defensively.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. We also have to keep in mind that we have cap space to bring a few players at the deadline. With the right moves, we could actually go further than we think. Although, I'd like to keep our blue chip prospect and 1st pick unless we have a legit player signed longterm coming back.

It's quite possible the grumpy ones criticize Bergevin for not going after Muzzin if the Habs face the Islanders as a wild card team and face the Pens or Caps in the 2nd round where they could have injuries to key players. Not saying we win a cup but if we can acquire Muzzin for two years with the chance we can extend him is something we should (or flip him for futures next season if he don't want to re-sign).

Waiting and waiting and waiting for us to rebuild and be the Pens and not the Oilers is living in dream land. There is just as much risk with trying to improve our current team vs doing nothing and trying to snag elite level talent with mid 1st round picks. We could very well be a middle of the pack for the next decade and look back with regrets.

I'm not willing to ignore the Weber window completely cause we think we will be for sure a better team in 5 years than who we are today.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kotkaniemi's ice time is perfect how it is right now imo. Next year, we should see him on the ice more often, I have no doubt. I would have questions about it if he wasn't responsible defensively.
No. Its not perfect. The perfect way to develop a player is to have him play loads and loads of ice time. Its a stupid myth created by teams like the Habs that dont want to commit to the future by fear of losing revenue in the short term.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
No. Its not perfect. The perfect way to develop a player is to have him play loads and loads of ice time. Its a stupid myth created by teams like the Habs that dont want to commit to the future by fear of losing revenue in the short term.

What?! Last thing you want is your 18 years old future franchise center getting burned out in the pace of an NHL season. This can create lazy habits and might actually get hurt, especially when he needs to get physically stronger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Team goals vs Kotkaniemi development goals. You are ignoring team goals cause you think we are a mediocre team and you don't care if we make the playoffs or not. Kotkaniemi is going along just nice.

I trust Julien and his coaching team more than I trust you!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What?! Last thing you want is your 18 years old future franchise center getting burned out in the pace of an NHL season. This can create lazy habits and might actually get hurt, especially when he needs to get physically stronger.
Yeah... like it happened with Barzal, Crosby, Barkov, Pettersson, McDavid, eichel, Matthews, Malkin, Kopitar, Tavares, Stamkos, Mackinnon, Point, Backstrom, Monahan, ROR, Toews, Larkin, Dubois, and so many others... right?

It sure did help Galchenyuk, Seguin, Draisaitl, to not play C and a lot of minutes in their first season, right?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Team goals vs Kotkaniemi development goals. You are ignoring team goals cause you think we are a mediocre team and you don't care if we make the playoffs or not. Kotkaniemi is going along just nice.

I trust Julien and his coaching team more than I trust you!
Obviously, whos the last forward to develop under Julien? Tell me? He literally stunted the development of every single forward that played under him.

The goal for the team is to be competitive for year, you achieve that by maximizing your assets. Having Kotkaniemi become an offensively challenged 2C isnt getting the Habs closer to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad