Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Interesting that both Timmins and Bergevin mentioned Poehling specifically when talking about Kotkaniemi. Both definitively said that they view Ryan as a future top 6 centerman along with Jesperi...

Reactions: Redux91

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I think Poehling was a low risk, high reward pick. On the other hand I think drafting Kotkaniemi by position, and passing on some of that talent like we did, was a mistake. Hope I'm wrong.
Positive spin: they are at least trying to address an ever lasting weakness of having only small and average centerman. It might fail as no one can predict the learning curve of a teenager. But I feel like they are really trying. I'm good with that.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Positive spin: they are at least trying to address an ever lasting weakness of having only small and average centerman. It might fail as no one can predict the learning curve of a teenager. But I feel like they are really trying. I'm good with that.

Yeah, but they drafted a ton of C in the later rounds as well.. tough to take that gamble with #3 overall because we are lacking scoring on the wings , and dmen as well.. so I'm still scratching me head.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
This is one prospect I have no idea what to think of. Anyone else feel he's extremely hard to project compared to some other past picks?

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Yeah, but they drafted a ton of C in the later rounds as well.. tough to take that gamble with #3 overall because we are lacking scoring on the wings , and dmen as well.. so I'm still scratching me head.
My guess is they figured that in that quantity, some quality might surface as opposed to hoping to making a couple of picks that absolutely have to pan out. I'm sick and tired of having small low skill centerman so I'm good with the strategy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Poehling was a low risk, high reward pick. On the other hand I think drafting Kotkaniemi by position, and passing on some of that talent like we did, was a mistake. Hope I'm wrong.

I can't speak to Kotkaniemi, but agree 100% on Poehling, low risk high reward pick.

This is one prospect I have no idea what to think of. Anyone else feel he's extremely hard to project compared to some other past picks?

for me it's just a matter of having a kid in over his head in his first year in the NCAA and then having a very impressive Sophomore year where even then he was on the younger side of the league. So I just want to see how much progress he makes, since he make huge strides in one year. He's easily going to be an NHLer, just a question of where does he project. I'd have him safely as a 3rd line center on a top team that could be a 2nd line center if his offensive game translates/progresses.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering. I saw an interview talking about him being sick during a tournament, but that was in 2015.

Grant said he got sick during his draft year.

It just dawned on me that you said draft year and I was thinking his final year in high school. He only missed 1 game in his Freshman year, but perhaps he had some illness after the season or perhaps it just lingered and impacted his play. Grant would know so it must be true.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I wonder if Poehling is going to play in Laval next year.

Based on an interview back in March, he should be back in the NCAA.

Montreal Canadiens: Ryan Poehling’s plan for next season

According to Le Journal de Montreal, Poehling confirmed (via phone call) that he would be returning to St. Cloud State next season.

I’m still very young at 19. Next year, I’ll be the youngest player in the Huskies for a third year in a row! I will also have the pleasure of playing another season with my twin brothers, Nick and Jack (Translated).​

Reactions: ArsHabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Based on an interview back in March, he should be back in the NCAA.

Montreal Canadiens: Ryan Poehling’s plan for next season

he's already confirmed after his coach left that he's returning to the NCAA, they need to let teams know right away as it's not like the NCAA can call someone up to replace him. Usually they have someone headed to the USHL that they will then bring them in a year sooner but you still need time to put that all together so they can get registered for school and all that in time.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm assuming he plays next year at St. Cloud, then makes the NHL squad in 2019-20.
I see him jumping from college to the NHL come 2019. He will be an absolute beast in a year. Did you see how thick his neck is? The kid is a pure athlete. Color me impressed

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I see him jumping from college to the NHL come 2019. He will be an absolute beast in a year. Did you see how thick his neck is? The kid is a pure athlete. Color me impressed

Yes he is. Remains to be seen what will skating will be like with this additional weight. And remains to be seen what his ceiling is. Kid could be an incredibly 3rd line C. Waiting to see if he can be 2nd line C.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yes he is. Remains to be seen what will skating will be like with this additional weight. And remains to be seen what his ceiling is. Kid could be an incredibly 3rd line C. Waiting to see if he can be 2nd line C.
His skating appears to still be impressive at 200 pounds

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Poehling with another year in the NCAA (as confirmed) and Kotkaniemi with another year in Liiga (as confirmed) is the right approach.

Then, for 2019-2020, JK comes over to North America and they play together in Laval. And they go from there.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I could see Poehling being a Ryan Kesler type player. Beast in board battles but has slick mitts and can do 50pts a year. Thats my dream scenario for him

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Does the loophole still exist where college players can opt out of signing with their draft team? Justin Schultz comes to mind, among others.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Does the loophole still exist where college players can opt out of signing with their draft team? Justin Schultz comes to mind, among others.
Yes, and it's not a loophole. It's also actually faster for a CHL player to do the same thing (2 years)

EDIT: I also don't think it applies to Poehling, since he played a year in the NCAA before being drafted, and teams retain NCAAers rights for 4 years after being drafted, so he would be done school a year before we lost his rights.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
for me it's just a matter of having a kid in over his head in his first year in the NCAA and then having a very impressive Sophomore year where even then he was on the younger side of the league. So I just want to see how much progress he makes, since he make huge strides in one year. He's easily going to be an NHLer, just a question of where does he project. I'd have him safely as a 3rd line center on a top team that could be a 2nd line center if his offensive game translates/progresses.

Can he be compared to Jordan Staal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad