Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well Boeser had one of the best Freshman seasons ever so that makes sense, I wouldn't have wanted Jost to be in the NHL after a good Freshman year so hopefully they didn't rush him. Would never have expected Butcher and Kerfoot to do what they did. Maybe things are changing to get younger, quicker as it makes sense in a cap world but I am very much against rushing kids to the NHL and I would be surprised if Poehling wouldn't leave the NCAA for his last year over not wanting to play in the AHL. Guess it doesn't matter since neither of us know what his plans are just think that most of these NCAA kids need to go to the AHL to adjust to the much longer schedule vs playing some 40 games on the weekends.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise - it just seems like the trend is more towards players staying in college until they know they're going to get a shot to play in the NHL right off the bat.

Not saying this should be the course of action with Ryan Poehling...whether or not he makes the jump straight to the NHL will depend on the type of summer and year he has next year.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Even if he's up and down between the AHL and NHL, he's leaving college only with the intent to play in the NHL.

Reactions: 417

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wasn't suggesting otherwise - it just seems like the trend is more towards players staying in college until they know they're going to get a shot to play in the NHL right off the bat.

Not saying this should be the course of action with Ryan Poehling...whether or not he makes the jump straight to the NHL will depend on the type of summer and year he has next year.

I would say that's more the high end guys and the undrafted ones that are good enough that teams need to offer them NHL time.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I would say that's more the high end guys and the undrafted ones that are good enough that teams need to offer them NHL time.
I wouldn't say Tyson Jost is high end...certainly not a great deal more than Poehling is imo.

Alot of it is going to depend on where the Habs are as a team.

If they stink again next year, I can see him signing at the end of the year and jumping straight to NHL (though I'm not sure how conference tournaments and frozen four will play out for St Cloud) since they'll have nothing to lose.

But either way, I agree with you, hope they don't rush him

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't say Tyson Jost is high end...certainly not a great deal more than Poehling is imo.

Alot of it is going to depend on where the Habs are as a team.

If they stink again next year, I can see him signing at the end of the year and jumping straight to NHL (though I'm not sure how conference tournaments and frozen four will play out for St Cloud) since they'll have nothing to lose.

But either way, I agree with you, hope they don't rush him

I said I didn't think they should have rushed him to the NHL but he was a 10th overall pick.

SCSU should be a top team again, the big question is the impact of the loss of their coach and now you have a guy that's never been a head coach before. But for the most part they are the same team so they should be at the tournament at the end of March.

Reactions: 417

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
So for those that watched him...big step up from the previous year? Where did he improve and where does he need work?

He took strides in his speed and offensive zone involvement. His vision and passing are clearly above average for the NCAA. His hands and shot have certainly improved as well.

He needs to improve his offensive zone positioning and his quickness. I just want him to be hungrier for the puck and stronger against men, but that will come with time and training (NCAA is a good place to bulk up).

He went from 13 points in 30 ish games to 28 points. It's a big step up considering how he was the true two-way center of his team.

At this rate he looks like a surefire third liner with increasing potential of 2nd line ability. Toward the later half of the season, you saw him gain in confidence as he began scoring these beauty breakaway goals. He looked to have turned it up a notch. I expect a big season from him this coming year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I read recently that we tried to trade up and grab Robert Thomas but didn't have the assets. Poehling seems like quite the consolation prize.

I remember looking into Thomas pre-draft. He was the guy I wanted. Poehling was ranked mid pack and didn't know much about him cause I didn't think he would slip that far. I was looking at players from the 20-30 range.

Curious to see the development between the two players over the next season or two.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He took strides in his speed and offensive zone involvement. His vision and passing are clearly above average for the NCAA. His hands and shot have certainly improved as well.

He needs to improve his offensive zone positioning and his quickness. I just want him to be hungrier for the puck and stronger against men, but that will come with time and training (NCAA is a good place to bulk up).

He went from 13 points in 30 ish games to 28 points. It's a big step up considering how he was the true two-way center of his team.

At this rate he looks like a surefire third liner with increasing potential of 2nd line ability. Toward the later half of the season, you saw him gain in confidence as he began scoring these beauty breakaway goals. He looked to have turned it up a notch. I expect a big season from him this coming year.

When I watched Poehling at the U20 world juniors, I did notice a couple of times where he was out battled for the puck along the boards. I agree. I would like to see him hungrier for the puck and I'm curious to see how he develops in the gritty part of the game. I think the rest of his game is very solid.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
When I watched Poehling at the U20 world juniors, I did notice a couple of times where he was out battled for the puck along the boards. I agree. I would like to see him hungrier for the puck and I'm curious to see how he develops in the gritty part of the game. I think the rest of his game is very solid.

Exactly. That's my main concern, because in the NCAA he didn't need to muscle his way out along the boards. He needs to add strength and a quicker step and he will be a 2nd C. Looks good so far for us.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Exactly. That's my main concern, because in the NCAA he didn't need to muscle his way out along the boards. He needs to add strength and a quicker step and he will be a 2nd C. Looks good so far for us.

Um no the NCAA is rougher than world junior hockey

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So for those that watched him...big step up from the previous year? Where did he improve and where does he need work?

Very impressed with his play, he can drive the offense, uses his speed well in the offensive zone. Can dish the puck but needs to shoot more. He doubled his goal production and tripled his assists but he also played on one of the top scoring teams in the NCAA. It looks like they will be more or less the same team but with a different coach. So it will be very interesting to see how he does next year.

Reactions: Ethan Wiles

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

For me, it's all about if he can take another big leap whether he can be a #2C or not. I just feel like if Danault can do a fairly reasonable impression of a #2, I don't see why Poehling can't be a legit #2.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For me, it's all about if he can take another big leap whether he can be a #2C or not. I just feel like if Danault can do a fairly reasonable impression of a #2, I don't see why Poehling can't be a legit #2.

for me it's just too early, as you say if he takes another big leap then that will give us a much better idea. But for now you have a kid that struggled to produce at 17/18 in the NHL and then at 18/19 he was one of the best players on his team and a big part of why they were so good. So it's hard to say if what we saw from him this year was peak or will he continue to progress and if so by how much. Very big year coming up for him.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
for me it's just too early, as you say if he takes another big leap then that will give us a much better idea. But for now you have a kid that struggled to produce at 17/18 in the NHL and then at 18/19 he was one of the best players on his team and a big part of why they were so good. So it's hard to say if what we saw from him this year was peak or will he continue to progress and if so by how much. Very big year coming up for him.

I know Poehling was sick right before his draft year. Lost something like 25-30 lbs no ? Do you have any idea what ilness he had ?

Anyways, really happy to have him + Kotkaniemi in the prospect pool. Feels like the Savard/Gainey years again, where we had a wealth of talent that could legitimately become good players.

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Should Ryan Poehling play for the Laval Rockets next year?

no, he needs to stay with SCSU and see how much better he can get. Then we'll see by the end of the year where his game is at and where he should be the following (which if there's a lockout could end up changing things anyway)

I know Poehling was sick right before his draft year. Lost something like 25-30 lbs no ? Do you have any idea what ilness he had ?

Anyways, really happy to have him + Kotkaniemi in the prospect pool. Feels like the Savard/Gainey years again, where we had a wealth of talent that could legitimately become good players.

I'd have to check into that, don't recall hearing that. It's my understanding he didn't miss any hockey as he played the usual amount in the USHS plus a few in the USHL. And he couldn't have missed any school since he was graduating a year early.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
So Poehling and Kotkimanikdlknkngeioeiwnfinishguywwejustdrafted are battline for second line C?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Poehling and Kotkimanikdlknkngeioeiwnfinishguywwejustdrafted are battline for second line C?

too early to say. Poehling went from a below average season when he shouldn't have been in the NCAA, to having a very impressive season. Need to see how much can he progress before we can really say what he will be. Just a very safe bet to be an NHLer.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
no, he needs to stay with SCSU and see how much better he can get. Then we'll see by the end of the year where his game is at and where he should be the following (which if there's a lockout could end up changing things anyway)

I'd have to check into that, don't recall hearing that. It's my understanding he didn't miss any hockey as he played the usual amount in the USHS plus a few in the USHL. And he couldn't have missed any school since he was graduating a year early.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering. I saw an interview talking about him being sick during a tournament, but that was in 2015.

Grant said he got sick during his draft year.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
too early to say. Poehling went from a below average season when he shouldn't have been in the NCAA, to having a very impressive season. Need to see how much can he progress before we can really say what he will be. Just a very safe bet to be an NHLer.

I think Poehling was a low risk, high reward pick. On the other hand I think drafting Kotkaniemi by position, and passing on some of that talent like we did, was a mistake. Hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad