Ryan O'rielly On the Block

bozybo

Aug 28, 2012
Ryan trade talks have been flirting with our team for a couple of years now and Elliot Freedman has reported he is on his way out of Colorado. Wondering if most of the boys here would still want him on our team and if so what would you guys give up for him?

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Colorado's biggest holes are on Defense and with ROR gone they'd likely want a LW.
Futures might also be pretty valuable as they aren't a playoff team with ROR and dont boast a great pool.

Problem for us is that LW spot is really the only area we have a surplus, so I dont think we have the pieces without over-paying; unless they are high on a piece that isn't going to leave a hole in our re-build?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
We don't need O'Rielly like we did 2 seasons ago. We have a comparable player in Monahan and giving up the assets to get O'Rielly would set our rebuild back further than O'Rielly would push it forward.

Unless for some reason we can get him for a song, I would very easily pass on going after him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is already being discussed on the armchair GM thread.

I think the consensus is:
A) Can't give up major futures (Any 1st or ex-1st)
B) Can't give up any top 4 (because 5-7 have been horrid).

More or less, Calgary doesn't have the pieces currently to make it work, without mortgaging the future on a guy we don't know will sign here long term. I'd rather wait a year and shell out some major change if he wants to sign here.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I won't mind if and only if Treliving manages to find a way to not trade away any assets that won't hurt us.

I know most of us wouldn't want him, but he'd be a huge upgrade over a lot of our forwards. Having him play wing with Backlund and Gaudreau would be a great shut down line.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
When we signed him to an offer sheet, Backlund looked like he'd accrue more man-games lost than points by the end of his career, Monahan didn't exist, Bennett didn't exist, Jankowski was still 5 years away, Stajan was our best centre. We had lots of room to bring in ROR to help the team.

Now, we have at least four capable centres. Our team needs are elsewhere. And frankly, I'm starting to doubt ROR is really as good as he looked back at that time. Hard pass.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Don't expect the Avs to do us a favour after the offersheet fiasco. Even if we are under different management...

Expect them to ask for at least what they turned down before, rumoured to be Giordano+. Thanks anyway.

I didn't think Colorado management could overrate ROR worse than the Avs' fans on HF.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Isn't he a UFA in the summer of 2016?

In summer of 2016 yes, forgot about the extension he signed (for some reason I thought he went to arbitration and got a one year award).

What an awful contract extension for the Avs, puts him right into free agency. I know there's still another season away, lots of time to negotiate another extension but still...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
In summer of 2016 yes, forgot about the extension he signed (for some reason I thought he went to arbitration and got a one year award).

What an awful contract extension for the Avs, puts him right into free agency. I know there's still another season away, lots of time to negotiate another extension but still...

We legitimately screwed them over :laugh:... Now we just need to complete the plan by signing ROR :sarcasm:.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I don't want O'Rielly, because of his contract negotiations. That could be a locker room breaker right there.

Absolutely this. In addition to the fact that O'Reilly would be largely superfluous at this point in time, him seeking to maximize his contract each and every time, while he has every right to do so, goes against the idea of building a homegrown team that wants to stay together.

Consider Brodie who made sure his salary next season was below that of Giordano's. O'Reilly isn't worth damaging that kind of spirit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad