Ryan O'Reilly

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Ok, I am sure this is totally hypothetical, but if the Avs and Ryan cant figure something out, he would be an incredible fit here. How much of a ridiculous payment would we have to give to get something like that. I guess DaveG I am looking for some input from you here, since you know much more about our system and other systems and prospects and draft picks etc than I.

Like I said, likely pipe dream, but wanted to stop thinking about something I knew nothing about.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It'll only happen if he demands a trade, which he won't. Pitts and something else good I'd bet. They could do better elsewhere than that I think. He would've been named Cpt if he wasn't a holdout. He's brindamour at 20. They have no replacement coming for him either. They could ask for skinner. We should consider it if they did.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ok, I am sure this is totally hypothetical, but if the Avs and Ryan cant figure something out, he would be an incredible fit here. How much of a ridiculous payment would we have to give to get something like that. I guess DaveG I am looking for some input from you here, since you know much more about our system and other systems and prospects and draft picks etc than I.

Like I said, likely pipe dream, but wanted to stop thinking about something I knew nothing about.

Really not sure what the Avs need, Bleed might be a bit better there then I would be. I'd almost have to think that both Pitkanen and Rask would be in play for any such trade though, which makes it tough. But if all they were asking was Pitkanen and Rask it's hard to turn that down, especially if Faulk and Murphy are ready for prime time.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Ok, from what I am reading, he is looking for 3-4 mil a year (according to thefourthperiod), so in the new CBA, are there any new rules for offer sheets?

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Ok, since there is a new article on Yahoo about ROR, I just wanted to revisit this topic after 10 games or so have been played. Just wondering if anyone thinks we should offer him?

Maybe 4 year offer for:
3, 4, 4.5, 4.5?

I know its a risk, but he would be a great fit here as 3rd line center. We have the cap to spend, and the flexibility of Ruutu on LTIR. Just thinking out loud. Like I said, I know its a risk, as his numbers arent incredible, but if he continues to grow, it might be a good deal for us. 18 goals and 37 assists last year is a good start and he is just turning 22 today.

With a 4 mil average, I dont think it would cost us too much compensation.....you Mods would know those rules better than I.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
I can't see him signing somewhere he's going to be playing 3rd line center.

We're not going to offer him anything other teams wouldn't offer him

a) big money
b) a top 6 center spot
c) a perennial contender

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I can't see him signing somewhere he's going to be playing 3rd line center.

We're not going to offer him anything other teams wouldn't offer him

a) big money
b) a top 6 center spot
c) a perennial contender

Tlusty-Eric-Semin
Skinner-ROR-Jordan
Bowman-Jokinen-Dwyer
Nodl-Brent-Wallace
Westgarth

Then trade Char + pick + Corvo for a better defenseman.
Sign a cheap 3C for the following year. Re-sign Fats for something cheap. Re-sign Semin to something cheaper. Re-sign Ellis. Fill in as necessary. Roll out with

Tlusty-Eric-Semin
Skinner-ROR-Jordan
Bowman-3C-Ruutu
X-X-Dwyer

Gleason-Faulk
Pitkanen-New Guy
Harrison-McBain

Ward
Ellis

???

Profit

Wake up

EDIT: I debated Skinner-Eric-Semin and Tlusty-ROR-Jordan. That second line's defense...

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We have our top 2 centers. I don't think we need to worry about that anymore. If we WERE to sign ROR, he'd play on our 3rd line and we'd be able to roll 3 (or 4) deep.

If he were to sign tomorrow:

Tlusty - Staal - Semin
Skinner - Staal - Dwyer
Jokinen - O'Reilly - Bowman
Larose - Brent - Wallace

4th line sucks, but the top 3 lines are incredible, especially going into the playoffs if we get Ruutu back, that'll keep Dwyer out but by then he will have obviously come back to Earth anyway.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It'll only happen if he demands a trade, which he won't. Pitts and something else good I'd bet. They could do better elsewhere than that I think. He would've been named Cpt if he wasn't a holdout. He's brindamour at 20. They have no replacement coming for him either. They could ask for skinner. We should consider it if they did.

Umm, no.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Ok, I agree with Cardiac..."NO"

Why would he only consider top 6 play? He scored 55 points....he cant be making those type of demands. Any team that is a perennial contender wont have him as first or second line center....maybe on the wing.

Why do we not have the money long term to have a 4 mil third line center? Is it because we have a Ruutu at 5 mil a year? How brutal is that....hated it since day one.

If you are going to be a contender, you gotta pay somewhere, and its painfully obvious we wont ever spend more than 4 mil on a defenseman unless its Ozolinsh

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
We have our top 2 centers. I don't think we need to worry about that anymore. If we WERE to sign ROR, he'd play on our 3rd line and we'd be able to roll 3 (or 4) deep.

If he were to sign tomorrow:

Tlusty - Staal - Semin
Skinner - Staal - Dwyer
Jokinen - O'Reilly - Bowman
Larose - Brent - Wallace

4th line sucks, but the top 3 lines are incredible, especially going into the playoffs if we get Ruutu back, that'll keep Dwyer out but by then he will have obviously come back to Earth anyway.

That is a lethal top 9.

Ruutu back we could trade for a legit D.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Would take Pitkanen going the other way and I don't think that's a move you can make right now. Maybe next year, not right now though.

But probably not ever. I think we may have to resign ourselves to this being a two-line team for the forseeable future. This year with the shortened season that's probably very doable. Long-term they need to come up with something else. Who knows, maybe Rask will step in next year.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
You lost me right there.

Nobody in their right mind would give us anything decent for a combination LaRose, Corvo, and a pick.

Well, considering I didn't say anything about the relative quality of the defenseman, I'm not implying that we get a first-pairing D out of this trade. Just somebody who can provide physical shutdown defense while not looking totally out of place in the top 4.

Also, I did finish the post with me waking up from my dream.:laugh:

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Probably pointless to bring this back up but Bruce Garrioch over at the Ottawa Sun reports we're in talks with Colorado regarding ROR.

There is talk a decision on the future of holdout Colorado centre Ryan O'Reilly will be made soon. The two sides have reached an impasse and GM Greg Sherman could finally be ready to make a trade. Several teams -- including the Rangers, Flyers, Leafs and Hurricanes -- are involved in the talks. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford is sneaky. His club has moved up the standings and I wouldn't be surprised if O'Reilly landed there ...

Short of sending Ruutu back in the trade is there any way we could afford this (assuming we want to keep Semin).

MD

Dec 1, 2009
NC
It's okay, we can just go into game settings and turn the salary cap off, right?

Joking aside, i wonder what the asking price for him is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad