Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly Thread Part III - O'Reilly SIGNS 2 yrs 12M (6M AAV) - No Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Love the fact that he's signed here for two years, because Ryan O'Reilly the player was my favourite Av before Nathan MacKinnon showed up this season, even during his first couple of seasons. But I just can't get over this sense that he wants to get the heck out of Colorado as quickly as possible so he can cash in.

I don't think I've ever seen a player like this in my life. A guy who is pure heart and soul on the ice, is a warrior, captain material, coach's favourite player, and does whatever it takes to win for the team. Then when it comes to negotiating a contract, demands the stars in the sky and then some. I may be in the small minority but I'd like to see him get traded.

With regard to EJ's tweet, it may have been all fun in nature, meant as a joke. But no matter what it was meant as, there is a deeper meaning to that tweet. The players in that dressing room understand what O'Reilly is like on the ice, but they also know what he's like off the ice. To me, that tweet, even though it probably doesn't mean anything between them, tells me that players do think O'Reilly cares a whole heck of a lot about money more-so than others in that room

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The main board is full of morons. I can only read a few pages. They act as if their team could and would give him a blank check as if they don't have their own cap issues and don't understand why a team might try to abide by the salary cap.

But just because a shred of sanity prevailed today I'm not ready to act like this was just any other player-team situation that played out. Let's not rewrite history and call it what it is, doesn't change anything. I'm the master at understanding temporary happiness and ignorance is bliss so I'm relatively content for now with the temporary solution. It's a problem for another day is what it is.

I don't mind calling a spade a spade. I for one I'm not thrilled with this contract unless he gets traded relatively soon.

What I do have have a problem is people making him out to be criminal, when in reality most would do the same.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
ROR, EJ, McGinn and Tanguay will all become UFA at the same time. Not good.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
But the players agreed to the CBA, so it is as much on them. They wanted to reserve the big money for players in their prime years by limiting the money given to young players who haven't proven themselves or paid their dues just as much as the owners wanted to control contract inflation. The inflation that everyone including us knew would still happen, but instead of MacKinnon making 6m/yr right out of the draft, Clarkson makes 5+m and Stastny makes 7m.

My point is merely this poor excuse that it was better not to hurt his feelers in a hearing. He wants to play the business side, that is acceptable to me (even if I don't like it), but he has to be strong enough to get the kickback from playing that game too.

The people on here saying he's this great character player who will help whatever team he plays for win a Stanley Cup but then follow it up with "it's better the Avs did not burn bridges by going through with arbitration" are countering exactly the same traits they laud him for.

I get what you are saying and you are correct the players union has agreed to the CBA. That doesn't mean all players necessarily are on board.

Back on topic....As for the benefits of avoiding arbitration. I think it was tremendous. I have no doubts ROR could take whatever criticism was handed him via Roy. In fact, I think he appreciates constructive criticism in his game as it will allow him to become a better player. I will say this though...if you throw useless bull-crap at someone, they will resent it. While I can't really imagine Roy or Sakic doing that I do believe that is what happens during these hearings. Anyways, ROR was pretty much holding the cards here. Folks can feel free to resent him for being a RFA with power all they want but IMO him signing for two years is tantamount to him waiving an olive branch and offering to make peace. The ball is now back in the AVs court for two years. ROR will have some time to continue to show what his game is developing into and now the AVs have time to decide if they want to keep him or if they are tired of negotiations.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
ROR, EJ, McGinn and Tanguay will all become UFA at the same time. Not good.

only EJ is vital to our success

tangs shouldnt get another contract with us, mcginn is a great role player but not a 'core' piece and while RoR is still here, i suspect he is traded

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

tangs shouldnt get another contract with us, mcginn is a great role player but not a 'core' piece and while RoR is still here, i suspect he is traded

ROR and EJ = core. McGinn is role player deluxe and while I understand the situation with the other 3, I don't know why they didn't sign him for longer than 2 years. It's not like he's overly expensive.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
ROR and EJ = core. McGinn is role player deluxe and while I understand the situation with the other 3, I don't know why they didn't sign him for longer than 2 years. It's not like he's overly expensive.

RoR = core right now, but i dont think we can count on him in two years, he will either be traded, or if we look like we can win the cup in two seasons, maybe hes held on to, but i think he has signed his last contract with the avs

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't mind calling a spade a spade. I for one I'm not thrilled with this contract unless he gets traded relatively soon.

What I do have have a problem is people making him out to be criminal, when in reality most would do the same.

It's too simple to boil it down to that. Yes, everyone loves money and wants more of it but not everyone approaches getting it the same way either in real life or sports. A criminal, no but as a fan it's fair to question how far unconditional loyalty goes and where to draw the line. I refuse to believe it was all about money in the first place anyway.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's too simple to boil it down to that. Yes, everyone loves money and wants more of it but not everyone approaches getting it the same way either in real life or sports. A criminal, no but as a fan it's fair to question how far unconditional loyalty goes and where to draw the line. I refuse to believe it was all about money in the first place anyway.

IMO papa O'Reilly and Morris are running the show here. That last tweet from Brian O'Reilly "we are still in Colorado" pretty much confirmed how involved he is. "We"?

It wouldn't surprise me to learn later that Ryan actually told the truth when he said that he's just a hockey player that wants to play hockey. I mean the kid is only 23 ffs. I'm speculating here but what if his dad is the one that wants to squeeze as much money as possible out of the AVS (or any team) and Ryan trusts his dad/agent? This wouldn't be a first BTW. NHL parents that are too involved with the business side of hockey is rarely a good thing (see Lindros).

Example:
Brian meets with Morris
They make a decision

Later: "Hi Ryan here's what we're going to do. You need to trust us. You play hockey, we take care of the rest".

Ryan: "Ok"

It's not like he'd have a reason not to do it.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Influenced maybe but ROR isn't a kid anymore, his desires have to be part of what happens too.

He was very young when it all started and it didn't change. He's still a kid a 23 btw. The guy has been playing hockey all his life, he's not some kind of negotiating guru.

ROR's personality on-ice and even off-ice doesn't reflect what's happening in contract negotiations. Brian, on the other hand...

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Do you really expect that if Tanguay keeps playing he's not going to do it here?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm not a Morris fan by any means, but I don't believe that he's exactly "wrong" when saying that if the Avs had "won" the arbitration that they still would have "lost" in a sense...that sense being that the relationship that Joe/Patrick had worked to rebuild w/ Ryan would be torn down again...that just seems to be how Arbitration works.

Morris had nothing but good/positive things to say (apparently) about Sakic, and Joe even said that there was no animosity between both sides and that any of the "perceived animosity" was being made by outside parties.

I'm not quite ready to give up on O'Reilly re-signing long term...not yet at least

So you don't believe Sakic when he said that there was no animosity?

I give up...O'Reilly will forever be hated by a group of posters on this board, that's fine...but when he plays like we all know he can play there better be no more of the "Pay the man" bulls**t that was going on.

You keep replying as if I'm anti-O'reilly. I get what he did and while I may not like it, I'm not going to rail against him for 2 years. I may make a "pay the man" joke on occasion, but that will be nothing compared to my Stuart, Briere, and Dater-esque "Stastny scored again for the Blues" comments. ;) :sarcasm:

Your first sentence reinforces my point though. If this is just business as the pro-ROR crowd keep repeating, and we should all accept that, then why would the hearing be anything else but "just business"? Why would we be concerned that ROR would have his feelings hurt if it is "just business"? Why would we not think that the Avs FO is not a bit frustrated and hesitant now that 2 out of 2 negotiations have pretty much gone sideways when it comes to ROR?

All those questions and the answers create valid concerns.

While yes, to the casual fan, it looks great and happy that ROR is back, and most would not have known or cared about Arbitration anyway, this board is not built with casual fans. This board is built primarily with passionate fans who have at times a disfunctional amount of investment in their hockey team and its players.

It is no surprise that there are passionate views on both sides, and to limit those views, or try to negate the validity of those views seems to be against the spirit that I generally appreciate on these boards. And I'm directing this to both sides of the debate, but your last sentence (especially coming from a moderator) does not aid in the discussion and dialog, but only add to the animosity of it.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I get what you are saying and you are correct the players union has agreed to the CBA. That doesn't mean all players necessarily are on board.

Back on topic....As for the benefits of avoiding arbitration. I think it was tremendous. I have no doubts ROR could take whatever criticism was handed him via Roy. In fact, I think he appreciates constructive criticism in his game as it will allow him to become a better player. I will say this though...if you throw useless bull-crap at someone, they will resent it. While I can't really imagine Roy or Sakic doing that I do believe that is what happens during these hearings. Anyways, ROR was pretty much holding the cards here. Folks can feel free to resent him for being a RFA with power all they want but IMO him signing for two years is tantamount to him waiving an olive branch and offering to make peace. The ball is now back in the AVs court for two years. ROR will have some time to continue to show what his game is developing into and now the AVs have time to decide if they want to keep him or if they are tired of negotiations.

I agree with you that all players are not on board, and that is what often sucks with being part of a union.

Then you have people like Mario who have been on both sides now, and I often wonder how he approaches these issues in his own mind as he has seen it as one of the greatest players in history, but is now an owner dealing with two of the greatest players ever.

I only disagree with what I bolded. ROR still has the ball. The Avs can either pay him what he demands, or he can hit UFA and get that money or likley more elsewhere. I have never felt ROR was looking for a "fair" deal, but looking for the best deal he could get. His agreeing to 6m for 2 years does not change my view on that as I reasonably think he would have been awarded less than 6 in arbitration.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I still say what I said before in that I don't doubt that O'Reilly is 100% committed to playing hockey and equally comfortable with doing that in Colorado, the problem lies solely with the contract demands.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
Do you really expect that if Tanguay keeps playing he's not going to do it here?

im hoping that he stops playing, he was ok for the beginning of last year, but with the injury we never got to see him playing fatigued....his best years are behind him, and i think this season will be his last competent one

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
IMO papa O'Reilly and Morris are running the show here. That last tweet from Brian O'Reilly "we are still in Colorado" pretty much confirmed how involved he is. "We"?

It wouldn't surprise me to learn later that Ryan actually told the truth when he said that he's just a hockey player that wants to play hockey. I mean the kid is only 23 ffs. I'm speculating here but what if his dad is the one that wants to squeeze as much money as possible out of the AVS (or any team) and Ryan trusts his dad/agent? This wouldn't be a first BTW. NHL parents that are too involved with the business side of hockey is rarely a good thing (see Lindros).

Example:
Brian meets with Morris
They make a decision

Later: "Hi Ryan here's what we're going to do. You need to trust us. You play hockey, we take care of the rest".

Ryan: "Ok"

It's not like he'd have a reason not to do it.

If this is the case, the kid has some serious issues with his dad. I'm talking down right manipulative. There's no way someone lets their dad continuously control there life unless that person is extremely controlling and persuasive.

I just don't see it.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
So now they can stick an "A" on his chest, to make him feel more appreciated.
You never know, it might make contract negotiations easier next time around.

(yeah, I don't believe that, either)

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Like the signing, like how we avoided arb. Sakic said they didn't want to go to arbitration and they didn't He very well might be gone but I feel management wouldn't have signed that offer-sheet in the past and wouldn't have tried to avoid arbitration. I feel that management values him highly and he won't be moved. Unless they won't give him the money. I firmly believed that O'reilly was not out of his mind to ask for anything below 7m and that the avs were undervaluing him by offering him anything under 6m.

To me O'reilly just wants he's worth. His offer-sheet that he signed had some people believe he would never be able to play at that price, especially during the 2nd season, I even thought he would be a little questionable and i'm a big O'reilly supporter. Bur he proved me wrong and played his worth played his worth and he will continue to do so for his asking price.

I'm excited for this year with O'reilly continuing to prove his worth. Also he now has a year worth of experience on the wing and a years worth of chemistry building with Duchene, if he is on the wing again. It also seems that he hasn't reached his prime and we may see another peak season from him.

It would have been nice to have Duchene, Landy,Varly and ROR all locked up as our core going forward this off season though. I'm worried about the Barrie situation. With the year he just had, mixed with how we lost Stastny by not paying for him and almost going to arbitration with ROR because they weren't willing to pay him (he may be asking for too much in some people's opinion, but you can't change this fact.) what he believes he is worth for a long term contract, also isn't he with Newport? Just gets me a little itchy...

Last edited:

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
So now they can stick an "A" on his chest, to make him feel more appreciated.
You never know, it might make contract negotiations easier next time around.

(yeah, I don't believe that, either)

His agent would probably use that as a reason to get more money. "He's the best defensive forward in the last 25 years and he has great leadership. You even gave him an A, for Jebus' sake!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad