Speculation: Ryan O'Reilly : Money-Money-Money-Money...Mo-ney!! Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 116861

Wait, are there more rumours about us getting MDZ or is it still the one from CBC?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Alright boys, what is the scouting report on MDZ?

I missed most of the first, and wasn't really watching during the 3rd. When I watched he was trapped in his zone on most of the shifts. He has good awareness IMO, but doesn't use his feet enough. As Freud pointed out in the other thread, he doesn't compete for 50/50 plays and instead retreats back to the front of the net. He covered passing lanes well and physically isn't scared to compete. He did seem to have difficulty getting the puck out for some reason. He makes great passes, so I don't know why he can't get the puck out of the zone. That's what I saw in my limited viewing tonight. As Torts said though, he thought they played awful.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Wait, are there more rumours about us getting MDZ or is it still the one from CBC?

CBC but elaborated on a little more today.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/30-thoughts-hockey-socks-and-safety.html

6. As mentioned on Hotstove Tonight, Colorado began the process of approaching teams it considers possible trade partners. One was definitely the New York Rangers. I had originally thought the deal involved Michael del Zotto and Derek Stepan for O'Reilly and another defenceman. However, it was strongly denied that Stepan was ever discussed, so I think I was wrong. The Denver Post's Adrian Dater has reported the Avalanche are not as interested in getting a centre back.

7. Even so, del Zotto is exactly the kind of player Colorado would want. Tyson Barrie's goal on Monday against the Nashville Predators was the first by an Avalanche blue-liner this season. I've been asked what defenceman the Rangers liked, but don't have a definite answer. Earlier this season, I'd heard New York was looking for a right-handed shot. However, del Zotto is a lefty.

8. I would not be surprised if Colorado approached the Florida Panthers, too.

Even though Freidman is saying he might be wrong about Derek Stepan, I had a hunch he was the forward involved in the rumored deal. Colorado has gone after more young players than it has prospects throughout this rebuild.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I gave my impression on him in the trade thread in regards to a Liles comparison, based on my limited viewings, and research into him. Boom Boom Geoffrion (a Rangers fan) seemed to think it was pretty accurate.

Basically he's a very good outlet passer, and uses this much more than purely rushing the puck like Liles, or even Barrie. He's got a bit of a physical and nasty edge to his game as well, and while he isn't a defensive dynamo, he is decent in this area, and doesn't have quite as much trouble with bigger forwards as a guy like Liles does.

He also has a very hard and quickly timed slapper, to go along with what appears to be a very quick and accurate wrister that he utilizes well. He jumps into the play well, and from what I've seen has very good stick handling and finishing moves like a forward in close. I would hazard a guess that he'd have the hardest slapper we've seen since Blake (though not at his level) the best wrister we've seen in a long time (with the exception of our brief experience with Elliott) and the best defenseman at jumping into the play since early Liles at his best.

When you add the physical and outlet passing elements to his game, maybe he could be a similar version of what the team hoped for in Morris when they acquired him. Except better at stick handling and finishing plays when in all alone. It's not clear what his top end offensive production will be, but he's put up 37, and 41 points in each of the last two seasons.

Not quite an elite offensive defenseman at this point, but still with plenty of promise at 22, and has grown his game a lot already. I think he could make a great partner with EJ, and take some of the pressure of him to carry the puck and jump start the rush.

You can see some of his goals here in the NHL.com link, and the YouTube montage shows some of the edge to his game as well.

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8474584&lang=en

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I watched him play against the Habs tonight. Meh. I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I was especially appalled when every single time he gets back into his own zone, he positions himself in front of the net and lets the other D do all the work. I get that he's an offensive d-man and is a good PP player (though, I wouldn't say he 'runs' the PP) but if I'm trading RoR, this is not the guy I'd target. Ranger fans seem really happy with him though, they can keep him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Here's some interesting info TPS, if you read this your response would be interesting on this matter.

A Bruins fan on the Trade Board pointed me in the direction of a Twitter ran by a Mr. Dominic Tiano, who apparently does the following, according to his Twitter Bio: "Cover the OHL's draft eligible players for the NHL Draft for OHL Writers and In the O Radio", here's some of his Tweets on the matter.

Dominic Tiano ‏@dominictiano
There's an unsigned RFA who was back home in Clinton Ont., hasn't asked for a trade, but said would " like to one day play for the #Bruins "

Feel like I need to clarify my tweet on "Ryan O'Rielly" from other day but will only say: He was back home in Clinton practicing w/ ...(1/2)

...Junior C team and was behind the bench for a game Friday night. He has NOT asked for a trade.

What I find interesting is supposedly the Bruins are the team that he'd "like to play for one day" as stated in the above Tweet. So again, something that apparently got overlooked. This Dom gentleman is to the Bruins board what TPS is for us.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I gave my impression on him in the trade thread in regards to a Liles comparison, based on my limited viewings, and research into him. Boom Boom Geoffrion (a Rangers fan) seemed to think it was pretty accurate.

Basically he's a very good outlet passer, and uses this much more than purely rushing the puck like Liles, or even Barrie. He's got a bit of a physical and nasty edge to his game as well, and while he isn't a defensive dynamo, he is decent in this area, and doesn't have quite as much trouble with bigger forwards as a guy like Liles does.

He also has a very hard and quickly timed slapper, to go along with what appears to be a very quick and accurate wrister that he utilizes well. He jumps into the play well, and from what I've seen has very good stick handling and finishing moves like a forward in close.

Not quite an elite offensive defenseman at this point, but still with plenty of promise, and has grown his game a lot. I think he could make partner with EJ, and take some of the pressure of him to carry the puck and jump start the rush.

You can see some of his goals here in the NHL.com link, and the YouTube montage shows some of the edge to his game as well.

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8474584&lang=en

Watching that vid and seeing all those long passes, I see Duchene on the receiving end lol

Highlight vids are tough though because they only show the good stuff... I want to see the rest. I might have to find a ranger game on soon

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well after watching that video, he's certainly not afraid to throw the body around, didn't expect to see him dishing out hits like that.

I think he'd fit in well here. He and EJ would make a formidable top pairing, with Hejda and Barrie making a good 2nd paring.

Lost in all of this is Ryan Wilson though, what happens to him this year and beyond if we aquire MDZ, he was playing like a Top 4 Dman before he went down with the injury, and when he's playing well he plays like a good physical #3/4 Dman. I guess if he returns this year he'll probably play on the bottom pairing, but what about next year? What if Siemens surprises everyone in camp and makes the team?

I think we could see Wilson get moved at the deadline if he's playing again. With the emergence of Barrie and the possible acquisition of MDZ Wilson might have lost his spot in the Top 4. We could get a decent return for him I think, though it would have to be out east.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I've watched two Rangers games after the del Zotto rumors broke and they basically confirmed my view of del Zotto. He's slow, especially the first steps. He got completely schooled in a footrace by a Habs forward today. He's a bit passive in his own zone (could be Rangers system) and ends up stationary in front of goal most of the time but seems to think the game well enough both offensively and defensively. Once he engages in the defensive zone he is able to hold his own physically, even if he's never going to be the strongest player. Has a strong pass but will not rush the puck.

I like him but I don't love him. I think if we were to swap O'Reilly for him straight up, we'd lose the trade by quite a bit. I think Avs are right in asking for another valuable piece.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I want some Panthers prospects rather than Del Zotto

MDZ's only signed through the end of next year, and I feel like we're 3-4 years away at least anyways. If MDZ were to play hardball next year and leave, we've solved nothing.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Lost in all of this is Ryan Wilson though, what happens to him this year and beyond if we aquire MDZ, he was playing like a Top 4 Dman before he went down with the injury, and when he's playing well he plays like a good physical #3/4 Dman. I guess if he returns this year he'll probably play on the bottom pairing, but what about next year? What if Siemens surprises everyone in camp and makes the team?

I think we could see Wilson get moved at the deadline if he's playing again. With the emergence of Barrie and the possible acquisition of MDZ Wilson might have lost his spot in the Top 4. We could get a decent return for him I think, though it would have to be out east.
Wilson hasn't proven to be a top 4 defenseman by any means, so him losing his top 4 spot isn't that big a deal. He's a much better fit on the bottom pairing anyway.

MDZ's only signed through the end of next year, and I feel like we're 3-4 years away at least anyways. If MDZ were to play hardball next year and leave, we've solved nothing.
What's with the fascination with prospects? There's always the chance they never develop, and then you're left with nothing, as opposed to picking up proven young NHL talent. A guy like Del Zotto is only 22, it's not like in 3-4 years he couldn't be here. He'd probably be entering his prime then.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I've watched two Rangers games after the del Zotto rumors broke and they basically confirmed my view of del Zotto. He's slow, especially the first steps. He got completely schooled in a footrace by a Habs forward today. He's a bit passive in his own zone (could be Rangers system) but seems to think the game well enough both offensively and defensively. Once he engages in the defensive zone he is able to hold his own physically, even if he's never going to be the strongest player. Has a strong pass but will not rush the puck.

I like him but I don't love him. I think if we were to swap O'Reilly for him straight up, we'd lose the trade by quite a bit. I think Avs is right in asking for another valuable piece.

Well said, I agree.

That's why the Winnipeg deal is so much better. You get a decent forward as replacement (Little/Burmistrov) plus the chance to hit a real home run with a prospect like Jacob Trouba.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Just been browsing the Rangers post game thread let's just say they lack the humour the Avs post game threads have after a loss hehe, MDZ seem to be the main scapegoat.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wilson hasn't proven to be a top 4 defenseman by any means, so him losing his top 4 spot isn't that big a deal. He's a much better fit on the bottom pairing anyway.

I disagree, he looked very good last year for the Avs before his concussion, and was starting to return to that level at the end of last year. THis year he looked good again, hard hitting with an underrated pass and a decent skater.

He was very much a Top 4 guy for us, probably our 2nd best Dman behind EJ this year, maybe Barrie has stepped up to that spot now though.

But IMO Wilson has played like a Top 4 Dman, for close to a year now, only when he was hurt that he didn't.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well said, I agree.

That's why the Winnipeg deal is so much better. You get a decent forward as replacement (Little/Burmistrov) plus the chance to hit a real home run with a prospect like Jacob Trouba.

Yea, but Sherman would have to be a wizard to pull off the WPG trade, while MDZ + say Miller seems a lot closer to reality.

I wouldn't mind either one obviously, but I don't think the WPG trade is as realistic to pull of compared to the MDZ trade.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
What's with the fascination with prospects? There's always the chance they never develop, and then you're left with nothing, as opposed to picking up proven young NHL talent. A guy like Del Zotto is only 22, it's not like in 3-4 years he couldn't be here. He'd probably be entering his prime then.

Not fascination - I just believe in getting multiple guys rather than a one for one asset trade. I'd rather have 3 prospects that could maybe provide help. I feel like we're putting all of our eggs in the basket with Del Zotto on this trade, and I'm not particularly sold on him. I'm also weary that he's probably underpaid and going to look for a bigger deal quickly (around the same time as Stastny, Duchene, and Lando). Prospects would push out cap expenditures further down the line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I
I like him but I don't love him. I think if we were to swap O'Reilly for him straight up, we'd lose the trade by quite a bit. I think Avs are right in asking for another valuable piece.

The problem that I alluded to in the other thread though, is that he may be the Avs best option for an offensive defenseman, which should be their priority.

What do you think a better option would be? I don't see a Bogosian, or Kulikov as a safer bet at all.

I agree they should try to get another piece out of the deal, and add something on their side though.

Highlight vids are tough though because they only show the good stuff... I want to see the rest. I might have to find a ranger game on soon

This is absolutely true. I've seen some of his games, but not enough to give an accurate impression on his consistent defensive play. I don't get any impression that it's worse than a Liles, or Barrie, or an O'Brien, or Wilson, and think it's probably better than all of them. It's not a strength of his at this point, but Rangers fans have acknowledges the strides he's made in this area, and I think you could probably call it average at this point as a 22 year old.

He'll be an RFA in two years. The long ways off argument doesn't apply here at all.

I'll take him over Kulikov easily. Much safer bet and the same age.

Well said, I agree.

I disagree. I hate the idea of getting a redundant player like Little, and a totally unproven prospect in return for O'Reilly. Talk about an easy way to get burned. Isn't Trouba viewed as more of a shutdown guy with some offensive upside anyway? I think that kind of player is fairly easy to find, unless he breaks out big time offensively in the NHL.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Dad made the Canadian papers too, who identified his writing as "bizarre". They even drew the link to Lindros parents.

Is there any hope that mom will talk some sense into them. Even if Ryan is leaving, his father and him are going to hurt his reputation and in this day and age, that sticks.

He was in a perfect spot here and decided to piss it away because Avs didn't lovebomb him enough in negotiations. Unreal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad