Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Byrne to Toronto for a 4th rounder

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Well, I guess I have a different persepective than you as well.

It may be a shot at colorado fans, but, IMO, its not an underserving one.

Sure, the on ice product may stink, but the players arent making the line-up and coaching decisions. From what i've seen, the players dont stop working out there, and unfortunately for them, they get the raw end of the deal when fans dont show up.

Id gladly get season tickets if I lived anywhere near colorado.

Right now, its everyones fault. Management wont spend on a team that isnt drawing fans, and fans wont spend on a team that isnt winning.

Ryan O'Byrne is spot on when he says there isnt enough fan support.

This is hard to agree with when we have seen the production and level this team has the ability to play to. We've beaten Chicago, who had lots of incentive to play for, we've beaten Anaheim, St. Louis, etc. when we've had NOTHING to play for. They responded to Giguerre's comments with an elevated level and have shown that when they "don't stop working" that they are capable of playing with the big boys. I don't think it's an issue of this not being the players' fault. They can play at a higher level. They've proven it. And if they can do so more consistently and be competitive in the standings, the fan support would be ravenous once again.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is hard to agree with when we have seen the production and level this team has the ability to play to. We've beaten Chicago, who had lots of incentive to play for, we've beaten Anaheim, St. Louis, etc. when we've had NOTHING to play for. They responded to Giguerre's comments with an elevated level and have shown that when they "don't stop working" that they are capable of playing with the big boys. I don't think it's an issue of this not being the players' fault. They can play at a higher level. They've proven it. And if they can do so more consistently and be competitive in the standings, the fan support would be ravenous once again.

I agree with some of this.

If Elliott and Barrie continue playing well, if Hunwick and Zanon get less ice time and soon they are out of Denver, or at most all they are is extra players in case of injuries, the Avs will win more games.

I don't care what Giguere said, and how well the team responded, this team is not a playoff team.

Few more years of young guys developing like Barrie and Elliott, with Siemens hopefully emerging into a solid NHLer, and at least one more consistent scoring winger, then perhaps we can start talking playoffs.

Also hopefully draft Seth Jones, give that blue line a much different look.

Next year I'd like to see..

Jones-EJ
Siemens-Barrie
Hejda-Elliott/Wilson.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It is a fact that Leafs fans are more supportive of their team than Avs fans are of theirs. Of course they are.

However, I take umbrage at a crappy player calling out fans when it was partially because of his own crappy play that has made fans turn away in disgust at yet another lost season by a franchise that has run aground.

If O'Byrne had said fans in Toronto were more supportive, sure, but he stated it like the Avs have NO support, and this is simply not true. We're simply not going to blindly pay top dollar for season tickets until management decides to put out a watchable product. The fact remains that this team purposely rolled out an inferior product, retained a clearly incompetent coach, let an embarrassing contract holdout define the season, iced the worst defense in the National Hockey League, and said nothing more than "patience" when they actually DID say something. And that's on US!? **** you, O'Byrne.

I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with Kyle Quincey's parting shots at the organization. He focused his ire, rightfully, on the Avalanche. He has been vocal in how much he loves this community in Denver, and has shown it by playing for the Cutthroats for a short time and continuing to call Denver his home. O'Byrne on the other hand played like he was made of marshmallows the entire season up until his trade and then called out the fans. Screw him.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I sold my season tickets right after the Avs traded O'Byrne. They're just not the same team without him. He was the face of the franchise, the heart and soul of the defense, the most driven player on the team. Have fun in Toronto, ROB.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I agree with some of this.

If Elliott and Barrie continue playing well, if Hunwick and Zanon get less ice time and soon they are out of Denver, or at most all they are is extra players in case of injuries, the Avs will win more games.

I don't care what Giguere said, and how well the team responded, this team is not a playoff team.

Few more years of young guys developing like Barrie and Elliott, with Siemens hopefully emerging into a solid NHLer, and at least one more consistent scoring winger, then perhaps we can start talking playoffs.

Also hopefully draft Seth Jones, give that blue line a much different look.

Next year I'd like to see..

Jones-EJ
Siemens-Barrie
Hejda-Elliott/Wilson.

I believe the biggest possible improvement for the Avs next season, will not be due to the removal or addition of certain players. The biggest possible improvement will be whether or not two of their current players can raise their level of play to match their talent upside (much like Duchene did this season).

EJ and Varlamov.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I believe the biggest possible improvement for the Avs next season, will not be due to the removal or addition of certain players. The biggest possible improvement will be whether or not two of their current players can raise their level of play to match their talent upside (much like Duchene did this season).

EJ and Varlamov.

You've also gotta put those players in a position to excel the way Sherman did when he signed PAP to play with Matt. If we find EJ his PAP and he's still not unleashing the beast, then I'll join you guys in griping about him.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

EJ and Varlamov.

No way EJ will improve and raise his level of play if he has Hunwick again as his partner for majority of the season.

And Varly will improve if the D in front of him improves.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
No way EJ will improve and raise his level of play if he has Hunwick again as his partner for majority of the season.

Not necessarily true. While Hunwick isn't ideal, if EJ changes his workout program and maybe adds a little more speed and a little less bulk, ala Duchene, then he may come back and his partner won't matter as much. Or if he spends all summer working on his shot. Or even just gaining confidence again from having a break from this frustrating season. People forget he almost put up 30 points last season playing with Hunwick/O'Brien/Hejda.

He should raise his level of play from this season, regardless of what happens in the off-season. He was a better player last season. He should atleast be at that level. I still want to see Barrie as his partner.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The plan going into the season was Wilson-EJ. I think that would work better for EJ if Wilson can finally stay healthy for a stretch of time (which seems like an impossible thing to hope for). Wilson is a big improvement over Hunwick... it isn't the improvement we all want, but it is something.

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
SOB/Zanon-Elliott
Hunwick

There are far fewer problems with that defense than our current one. It is still pretty damn bad though. Really need a top 4 LD.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The plan going into the season was Wilson-EJ. I think that would work better for EJ if Wilson can finally stay healthy for a stretch of time (which seems like an impossible thing to hope for). Wilson is a big improvement over Hunwick... it isn't the improvement we all want, but it is something.

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
SOB/Zanon-Elliott
Hunwick

There are far fewer problems with that defense than our current one. It is still pretty damn bad though. Really need a top 4 LD.
At this point it is a little hard to write in Wilson staying healthy. By the seasons end, he will have missed 92 games over the last 4 seasons.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
At this point it is a little hard to write in Wilson staying healthy. By the seasons end, he will have missed 92 games over the last 4 seasons.

I agree, which is why I still think the Avs need to add a top 4 LD to play with EJ. Having Wilson on the bottom pairing would be a plus when he is actually in the lineup, but not as much of a hindrance when he is out because he isn't being relied upon nearly as much.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I agree, which is why I still think the Avs need to add a top 4 LD to play with EJ. Having Wilson on the bottom pairing would be a plus when he is actually in the lineup, but not as much of a hindrance when he is out because he isn't being relied upon nearly as much.

Agreed. Sadly, with six defencemen on one way contracts, as well as the strong play of both Barrie and Elliott, I don't see management signing a defenceman. I guess there is an outside chance of Hunwick/Zanon/O'Brien being moved, but it's hard to imagine who would want them.

I wouldn't mind, at least until it crashes and burns, the following to start the season:

Barrie-EJ
Hedja-Elliot
Wilson-Hunwick/OBrien
Zanon

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Agreed. Sadly, with six defencemen on one way contracts, as well as the strong play of both Barrie and Elliott, I don't see management signing a defenceman. I guess there is an outside chance of Hunwick/Zanon/O'Brien being moved, but it's hard to imagine who would want them.

I wouldn't mind, at least until it crashes and burns, the following to start the season:

Barrie-EJ
Hedja-Elliot
Wilson-Hunwick/OBrien
Zanon

If only we could get a coach that allows right handed players to play the left side. :cry:

I would actually switch Elliott and Barrie though. EJ can cover for either, but Elliott has a more dynamic game that might show up more with a player like EJ next to him. I wouldn't complain either way though.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What did Ryan O'Byrne say that got twitter all fired up? Did he pull a KQ?

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 10h
O'Byrne impressed by Leafs Nation: 'Playing in Colorado you don't have the fan support & then you come to TO & you have that passion.'

This was the first person in my Twitter Feed who had posted it, and seeing his "Tag Line" (if you will) of "O'Byrne impressed by Leafs Nation" is why I believe that he did not need to even mention Colorado and their fans to get across his admiration of Leafs fans.

It was a dick move just overall a shot at us (in my opinion anyway)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This was the first person in my Twitter Feed who had posted it, and seeing his "Tag Line" (if you will) of "O'Byrne impressed by Leafs Nation" is why I believe that he did not need to even mention Colorado and their fans to get across his admiration of Leafs fans.

A shot at the fans in Denver/Colorado. Wouldn't blame them for being unhappy with the comments but why are others so upset?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I don't see it as a dick move, RoB is just speaking the truth. The Avs don't sell out anymore and they have trouble filling the place. That might very well change in the near future but they don't now because the team is losing. RoB isn't making anything up.

The Leafs on the other hand, could finish last 10 years straight and there would STILL be a waiting list to get season tickets, that's just how crazy that market is.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't see it as a dick move, RoB is just speaking the truth. The Avs don't sell out anymore and they have trouble filling the place. That might very well change in the near future but they don't now because the team is losing. RoB isn't making anything up.

The Leafs on the other hand, could finish last 10 years straight and there would STILL be a waiting list to get season tickets, that's just how crazy that market is.

Again, like I stated a page ago, I'm not saying that he's inaccurate in what he's saying. But if the topic of discussion is him liking the passion that Leafs fans have for their team then WHY is he talking about Colorado? There isn't a comparison to be made there at all. So what results is him bringing it up (as far as we know unprompted) and proceeds to bash the fan support, when it's compared to Leafs fans.

THAT'S what I find to be a "dick move". He doesn't need to talk about Colorado in that instance. He's not playing for us anymore, and regardless of how "true" his comments were, most fans of US teams stay away when their team is not playing well. Chicago and Pittsburgh are just a couple (to name a few) that have had woeful attendance when their teams were rebuilding. A team that's playing like crap will NOT bring out fans, and make no mistake, O'Byrne played like utter garbage for most of this season, so why does he get to take potshots at the fans of Colorado?

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

it's the truth. he used the comparison of his most recent setting to his current destination. not a big deal IMO.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Again, like I stated a page ago, I'm not saying that he's inaccurate in what he's saying. But if the topic of discussion is him liking the passion that Leafs fans have for their team then WHY is he talking about Colorado? There isn't a comparison to be made there at all. So what results is him bringing it up (as far as we know unprompted) and proceeds to bash the fan support, when it's compared to Leafs fans.

THAT'S what I find to be a "dick move". He doesn't need to talk about Colorado in that instance. He's not playing for us anymore, and regardless of how "true" his comments were, most fans of US teams stay away when their team is not playing well. Chicago and Pittsburgh are just a couple (to name a few) that have had woeful attendance when their teams were rebuilding. A team that's playing like crap will NOT bring out fans, and make no mistake, O'Byrne played like utter garbage for most of this season, so why does he get to take potshots at the fans of Colorado?

Sorry, I didn't read the last page.

Maybe RoB is pissed because 1) he sucks and 2) he wasn't 'wanted' or part of the long-term plans on a 29th place team?

Regardless, someone is going to probably overpay him on July 1st, I'm just glad it's not us.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
I can see what he is saying, but it always connects to the on-ice play. Denver is definitely a hockey city(I think it's 2nd to Football here). But when the team isn't good, people don't want to spend money to see the team. It's as simple as that, why should we go support and watch a team when they give us nothing to support. Also feel like a lot of fans here are saying to themselves "Kroenke doesn't care about the team, why should we?" And I agree with that. We need owners who care about the team solely and wants to win, not just on the side to another team. Also doesn't help when we have 2 rising major sports teams (Nuggets, Broncos.) while the Avs miss the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Overall though, there is no reason for him to take a shot like that.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Sorry, I didn't read the last page.

Maybe RoB is pissed because 1) he sucks and 2) he wasn't 'wanted' or part of the long-term plans on a 29th place team?

Regardless, someone is going to probably overpay him on July 1st, I'm just glad it's not us.

You're right about that, it's all moot anyways. My stance is purely my opinion, he could have very easily have said "The fan support here in Toronto is remarkable, it's so great" and his point would have been made just as well. It just seems that he brought Colorado into it unprompted, because the "cool thing" to do right now is bash the Avalanche Organization.

And make no mistake, the Avalanche have themselves to blame for being in that very position, but it doesn't mean that I have to appreciate a former player, who played like utter grap for us this year, questioning the support of Avalanche fans, of which I am apart of. Especially when said player was the result of some goals this year because of his boneheaded level of play

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
You're right about that, it's all moot anyways. My stance is purely my opinion, he could have very easily have said "The fan support here in Toronto is remarkable, it's so great" and his point would have been made just as well. It just seems that be brought Colorado into it unprompted, because the "cool thing" to do right now is bash the Avalanche Organization.

And make no mistake, the Avalanche have themselves to blame for being in that very position, but it doesn't mean that I have to appreciate a former player, who played like utter grap for us this year, questioning the support of Avalanche fans, of which I am apart of. Especially when said player was the result of some goals this year because of his boneheaded level of play

Hey I absolutely agree with you 100%. But when you break it all down and take a step back and look at everything, it's looking as though the Avs are going to get a top #3 pick and RoB was a big part of that for us this season. :laugh:

Before the season started, we all knew that MacKinnon and Jones were the top guys in this draft but no one seriously believed that we'd have a shot at either guy, yet here we are.

Besides, I doubt RoB meant to take a shot at the Avs. I bet if the Avs had offered to extend him, he would have signed on the dotted line. Players can say what they want after they are sent packing but generally, they really love playing and living in Denver. [Quincey playing for cutthroats during lockout lol]

You know how reporters are, they probably asked him what it's like playing in Toronto compared to playing in Colorado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad