Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Byrne to Toronto for a 4th rounder

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I don't see it as a shot at the fans in Colorado but as a clumsy compliment for the Leafs fans. Few if any franchises have the kind of support the Leafs have.

Even if he meant it as a shot at Avs fans I don't really care. The Avalanche franchise has worked really hard on driving the fans away. Leafs for example sucked for a long time on the ice but they still offered their fans a lot. We don't have broadcasts of practice sessions, interviews with the GM, Avs-focused radio shows and stuff.
I would even say the support is pretty darn good considering how this franchise is treating their fans. There are quite a few fan made podcasts and blogs for example.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
LOL whats there for fans to support?

Hunwicks's over 20 minutes ice time per game?

Zanon's beard?

When Avs management realize that they need to start thinking really hard about putting a winning team on the ice, then the fans will start supporting again.

No one pays hard earned money to watch you play hockey O'Byrne.

See, this is what I don't understand. I live in St. John's where we have an AHL team who is one of the worst in the league yet the place is sold out every night. Tickets are sold online for 40-50$ each yet there isn't an empty seat in the building because we all support our team. I understand how frustrating it is to have a team that keeps letting you down but if I had the opportunity to live in Denver I would never miss a game. Especially for the price tickets go for.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
See, this is what I don't understand. I live in St. John's where we have an AHL team who is one of the worst in the league yet the place is sold out every night. Tickets are sold online for 40-50$ each yet there isn't an empty seat in the building because we all support our team. I understand how frustrating it is to have a team that keeps letting you down but if I had the opportunity to live in Denver I would never miss a game. Especially for the price tickets go for.

There is nothing else to do in St. Johns. Denver is a large city that has a ton of other choices to spend your money on. Then you add on the fact that Canada has a deep hockey culture, the Rocky Mountain region doesn't.

If the Avs start winning again, people will come back. Denver is a fair weather city the only sells out for the winning teams. The Nuggets used to average 15k or less before they started winning again, now they average around 90% capacity.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008

Really? We are wondering why the people in Denver don't fill up their (much bigger) arena and support hockey the same way that people in St John's Newfoundland do?

It's a wonder a few of the fans there in St. John's don't give up on their brand new AHL team, and choose to spend their money on the local NBA, MLB, NFL, MLS, or NLL team instead.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

No offense to St. John's, but I'm guessing there's comparatively more alternative Denver venues in which a fan can choose to spend his money. Especially professional sports venues.

For me, it's not necessarily whether the team is successful or not. It's whether they're doing the right things (I don't think they are, too often) and the style of play is entertaining (Duchene/Parenteau notwithstanding, it's often not). I'm going to pony up a couple hundred dollars to watch Mitchell, McLeod, Jones, Hunwick, etc. play dump and chase hockey on the top 2 lines/pairings? That, and I decided during the lockout that I wasn't going to give them my money this year - Pepsi Center or Center Ice. And (aside from one kid birthday present) I haven't.

I suspect the poster who said that O'Byrne's comment was more of a clumsy attempt to compliment Toronto fans, rather than deride Colorado ones, is correct. But to O'Byrne's point, I did attend the Caps-Leafs game in DC last week (no, I didn't pay), the place was pretty packed, and it was kind of a weird feeling - being in a full home arena with lots of crowd energy supporting a quality team. It's been awhile, you know?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There is nothing else to do in St. Johns. Denver is a large city that has a ton of other choices to spend your money on. Then you add on the fact that Canada has a deep hockey culture, the Rocky Mountain region doesn't.
We actually do. Our college and minor league teams draw well.

If the Avs start winning again, people will come back. Denver is a fair weather city the only sells out for the winning teams. The Nuggets used to average 15k or less before they started winning again, now they average around 90% capacity.
The Broncos have sold out for 40 years strait and there have been some bad ones in that streak.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Broncos are the only exception.

As for hockey culture.... there is some, but absolutely nothing on scale of anything in Canada. In the region it probably goes popularity wise: NFL>>>NBA>College Football (might be tied with NBA)>MLB>College Basketball>NHL (might be tied with CBB)>MLS>College Hockey>Lacrosse of all sorts>Minor Hockey

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

As for hockey culture.... there is some, but absolutely nothing on scale of anything in Canada. In the region it probably goes popularity wise: NFL>>>NBA>College Football (might be tied with NBA)>MLB>College Basketball>NHL (might be tied with CBB)>MLS>College Hockey>Lacrosse of all sorts>Minor Hockey

Even in Canada Toronto and Montreal are the only teams that will sell out regardless. the nationalist circle jerk that hockey is in Canada only goes so far and empty seats have always been a dirty little secret in the smaller cities.

The Nuggets did well considering the absolute two decades of Arizona Cardinals levels of suck they foisted upon this city and I blame no one for not giving the Monforts business.

Disgust isn't the same thing as apathy. Hell had the Broncos not fired McDaniels there would have been unsold tickets two years ago.

anleva

Aug 2, 2005

Except for the Broncos those popularity rankings in the region are fleeting and change quickly with success. Avalanche and the NHL were #2 probably up until the early 2000's. I remember the Post running popularity survey's in the the 90's. MLB was #3 and NBA and the Nuggets were last in professional sports. Whoever is hot and winning will move up the list here with the exception of the Broncos.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
We actually do. Our college and minor league teams draw well.

The Broncos have sold out for 40 years strait and there have been some bad ones in that streak.

that's different though. a lot of NFL franchises suck and still sell a ton of tickets. because most fans want to boast that they were there through it all and weren't just jumping on the bandwagon when the team got good.

of course, if McDaniels had still been the coach we would have lost a few fans due to his stupidity and overall suckiness as a HC.
seems as if Elway is always pulling the Broncos out of the gutter.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You also have to consider that NFL fans have 8 home games a year, sans playoffs and pointless preseason games, to go to. So regardless of how awful your team is you only get to watch them 8 times all year, so it's a lot easier to rationalize to yourself spending money on a crap product than on a hockey or basketball team you'll have 41 chances to see play at home...in a normal year.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Even the Broncos started seeing empty seats during the McDouchebag era. I think that's why they took action so swiftly.

You can say Denver is a fairweather city, but the Avalanche won't be profitable until they rebuild their season ticket base, and who in their right mind would spend their hard-earned money and time watching this!? I don't blame fans for staying away. Show us this team has some fight in it, show us a fun team to watch, and the fans will start coming back. It wouldn't hurt to actually try and market the team effectively as well.

anleva

Aug 2, 2005
You also have to consider that NFL fans have 8 home games a year, sans playoffs and pointless preseason games, to go to. So regardless of how awful your team is you only get to watch them 8 times all year, so it's a lot easier to rationalize to yourself spending money on a crap product than on a hockey or basketball team you'll have 41 chances to see play at home...in a normal year.

Well actually they force you to buy the preseason games too so you are on the hook for 10 full price games.

But your point stands on the number of games. Easier to stomach then the price of 41 games + for hockey.

As a Broncos season ticket holder for many years, the other reason that you continue to get sell outs is that once you don't renew your season tickets you lose your season ticket priority and if you ever want them again you move to the end of the line. The waiting list for the Broncos is extremely long. You give up great seats potentially and for lousy ones, if you can even get those, in the future. Much better to continue to buy season tickets and then sell them if you have to. So they continue to sell out even in the McDaniels years.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I'm not saying Avs need to become a power house again for the fans to start supporting the team. But the management, the ownership needs to start showing commitment of building a winner.

Yes,this is still a young team, with young players still developing, but when the management goes out and signs players like Zanon, or trades for payers like Hunwick, then the coach plays Hunwick more than other d-man on the team, gives Zanon top 4 minutes, that shows no commitment of winning, and a lot of fans believe they are being mistreated by the ownership that's being cheap.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It is not about one situation/play.

Just out of curiosity, what are they upset with? He was only on the ice for one other goal, and that wasn't his fault either. His partner played the puck carrier like crap, and got beat setting up a partial two on one.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Oh yeah. I try to fly to Denver once a year when the Avs are on a multi-game home stand just to watch the Avs. I'd be all over season tickets. I was getting season tickets for the Thrashers when they skipped town, and I don't even like the Thrashers.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Oh yeah. I try to fly to Denver once a year when the Avs are on a multi-game home stand just to watch the Avs. I'd be all over season tickets. I was getting season tickets for the Thrashers when they skipped town, and I don't even like the Thrashers.

Its funny how many out-of-towners say that if they lived in Denver they'd get season tickets in hot minute, but then they don't realize how expensive it is when you add in parking concessions etc. Its not very realistic to get season tickets, its just too expensive. There are very few people that have season tickets to any of the major sports teams in any town. Its usually the corporations and the wealthy. I'm not poor but I couldn't afford season tickets if my life depended on it, thats why I go to about 8 games every year about 1/5 of the home games. Sure I'd love to go to more, but I can live with only going to about 8 and not blowing my budget. It doesn't mean I don't watch every game, and it doesn't make me any less a fan, its just realistically what I can afford to do.

The reason the Avs are struggling with attendance isn't due to lack of season ticket holders its due to high competition for peoples money. When the Nuggets are good, the Broncos are good and the Rockies are tolerable but have one of the best fan experiences in professional sports its going to hard for a poor Avs team to wrestle money away from the other teams. Once the Avs put a competitive product out on the ice the casual fans will start to come back. They might go to a few less Nuggets games and Rockies games and add a few Avs games in. Thats just how it works, good team=lots of fans, poor team=less fans. Every team goes through it, Avs used to sell out every game and the Nuggets were terrible and got nobody to come to games. When the Avs get better the casual fan will be back in the seats and the Avs will sell out the stadium again.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Its funny how many out-of-towners say that if they lived in Denver they'd get season tickets in hot minute, but then they don't realize how expensive it is when you add in parking concessions etc. Its not very realistic to get season tickets, its just too expensive. There are very few people that have season tickets to any of the major sports teams in any town. Its usually the corporations and the wealthy. I'm not poor but I couldn't afford season tickets if my life depended on it, thats why I go to about 8 games every year about 1/5 of the home games. Sure I'd love to go to more, but I can live with only going to about 8 and not blowing my budget. It doesn't mean I don't watch every game, and it doesn't make me any less a fan, its just realistically what I can afford to do.

The reason the Avs are struggling with attendance isn't due to lack of season ticket holders its due to high competition for peoples money. When the Nuggets are good, the Broncos are good and the Rockies are tolerable but have one of the best fan experiences in professional sports its going to hard for a poor Avs team to wrestle money away from the other teams. Once the Avs put a competitive product out on the ice the casual fans will start to come back. They might go to a few less Nuggets games and Rockies games and add a few Avs games in. Thats just how it works, good team=lots of fans, poor team=less fans. Every team goes through it, Avs used to sell out every game and the Nuggets were terrible and got nobody to come to games. When the Avs get better the casual fan will be back in the seats and the Avs will sell out the stadium again.

I live in Montreal, so trying to tell us out-of-towners that we wouldnt spend on season tickets because of the cost, is quite generalizing.

Also, there isnt any public transport available to get to the arena?
No metro/subway?

Now, I wouldnt be buying season tix in the reds, but higher up in the stadium, no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad