Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Edmonton Oilers

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Why does that END the thread? He had poorer linemates, but he also had poorer defenses to go up against. He should've easily dominated, bored/unchallenged or not.

He pretty much single handedly brought Red Deer to the playoffs last year. I saw one game (I think it was the 2nd) against Medicine Hat and there was one point where there were three guys covering RNH, he managed to get the puck to one of his linemates who basically had a free shot on goal, and missed the net by 2 feet.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Well, Medicine Hat double and triple teamed him, and Red Deer had no weapons that didn't rely completely on RNH, so in their case, if they shut down RNH, they shut down the Rebels completely. So they focussed more on shutting him down than anything else. Compare that to Edmonton, where if the opponents double team RNH, they are leaving Eberle, and Hall/Smyth unattended. Those other players can burn a team in a matter of moments, so most teams simply don't have the luxury of double teaming RNH.

I think your analysis that NHL'ers haven't been as physical as the Medicine Hat guys were is off too. RNH has been involved in a lot of decent hits (and not just on the receiving end).

This. In the NHL, it's pretty much suicide to double team / shadow a single player. The other guys on that line are usually skilled enough to completely destroy you. The level of talent in the NHL is, understandably, fantastic.

RNH's teammates were mediocre at best and weren't able to make teams pay for selling out against RNH. That's why he was so deadly on the powerplay - it was impossible to double team him there.

Scouts were able to assess his talent level, independent of production, which is why was the consensus 1st overall pick. If he had played on a team with skilled linemates his junior production would have been off the charts.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Another contributing factor -- RNH came into this season in much much better shape. That new training regiment began after the WHL post-season was complete.

RNHPhysique02.jpg

space321

May 11, 2011
Another contributing factor -- RNH came into this season in much much better shape. That new training regiment began after the WHL post-season was complete.

RNHPhysique02.jpg

woah holy **** I swear I thought that was Seguin at first. :amazed:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think playing with Eberle has helped him tremendously. Eberle is just the perfect complimentary player - creates tons of opportunities around the net.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I said it all the time last year. RNH has/had a skillset that is very easy to transition to the NHL. He uses his teammates remarkably well, in fact I used to remember being frustrated that he didn't hang onto the puck more.

He is also a fairly fast shifty guy, and has one of the best 'Hockey IQ's I've ever seen. He is always in the right spot, very rarely makes mistakes.

Additionally, he makes smart decisions quickly and goes to hard areas of the ice. The kid is great in traffic and has a great release. All of that is without even mentioning his remarkable ability to find sticks everywhere on the ice tape to tape regardless of how stupidly difficult the pass is.

But yeah, most of HF was looking at numbers going "LOLOLOLOL SHOULDA PICKED LARSSON!"

;)

Wolfgang

Dec 8, 2011
Also you can't take anything from one series with Medicine Hat. Tyler Bunz played out of this world that series and Nuge could have easily put up huge numbers. Tigers were outshot and outplayed for most of the series and Bunz really shut them down.

also The fact Eberle Wasn't on his Rightway plays a huge factor.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
You can not hit what you can not catch. RNH has showed incredible awareness and vision on the ice. When you combine those things on top of RNH skating ability and makes the kid very slippery if you will.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
You can not hit what you can not catch. RNH has showed incredible awareness and vision on the ice. When you combine those things on top of RNH skating ability and makes the kid very slippery if you will.

I will be the first to say i was wrong. I did not think that RNH should stay in the NHL this year, i said he was too small and being only 18 should go back to his CHL club. All RNH is doing is 6th in the whole NHL in scoring and he is averaging more that one point per game and is a plus player at plus 5. He could win the scoring title if he contiues at his current pace.

I think i may be proven right on Hall and Seguin as i said that i would of taken Seguin over Hall i said he would be a better player.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I will be the first to say i was wrong. I did not think that RNH should stay in the NHL this year, i said he was too small and being only 18 should go back to his CHL club. All RNH is doing is 6th in the whole NHL in scoring and he is averaging more that one point per game and is a plus player at plus 5. He could win the scoring title if he contiues at his current pace.

I think i may be proven right on Hall and Seguin as i said that i would of taken Seguin over Hall i said he would be a better player.
Just breaks my heart that Tavares is not scoring at the same pace IN HIS THIRD YEAR IN THE LEAGUE.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Maybe Tavares isn't as good but definitely I like RNH's linemates better. When you're feeding/being fed by a former 1st overall in Taylor Hall, or the elite Jordan Eberle or even the rejuvenated Ryan Smyth, you'll probably be more successful than when you're playing with JJ whoever and Grabs. I've only seen Tavares play once this year in person when he played my Canucks, but I saw a lot of talent and effort that his linemates weren't matching. He needs a friend on his line. Naaaaaiiill Yakupov?

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I remember an interview with Jordan Eberle saying something like that the NHL game was almost easier than junior because the average player is thinking the game at his speed. All of a sudden his teammates can keep up with what he's trying to do on the ice. The same is likely the same with RNH.

I've talked to a lot of players that have said this. Some of the players were talking about the ECHL to AHL, AHL to NHL, or US juniors to CHL.

I did not see the series vs Medicine Hat but it's hard for any player to beat double and triple team coverage.

RNH has been incredible in 1-on-1 situations and I think he surprises a lot of opponents with his strength. While he's not Milan Lucic, he's a lot stronger in the corners and in front of the net than people expect. I've seen a good number of players where he's going into the corner and hits the other guy a fraction of a second before the player expects it. Nothing huge, but the timing is incredible and it's enough that RNH is able to win the battle. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are two guys that do that well.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Maybe Tavares isn't as good but definitely I like RNH's linemates better. When you're feeding/being fed by a former 1st overall in Taylor Hall, or the elite Jordan Eberle or even the rejuvenated Ryan Smyth, you'll probably be more successful than when you're playing with JJ whoever and Grabs. I've only seen Tavares play once this year in person when he played my Canucks, but I saw a lot of talent and effort that his linemates weren't matching. He needs a friend on his line. Naaaaaiiill Yakupov?

He is not being feed by Hall. He is feeding all the players around him. A good players makes others better. Look at last night Gagner has not had a good year he moves to RNH line and plays Left wing gets two goals one assist. Both goals setup by RNH. I did not like Tavares in Junior and i do not like him now. He does not make players better playing with him. He needs players to help him get better. A good player will make everyone better. And i am not a fan of Edmonton as i believe they tried to lost last year to get first draft pick. They traded away players for nothing so they would lose games also they send players to the AHL so they could lose more games.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
woah holy **** I swear I thought that was Seguin at first. :amazed:

Seguin was way bigger. RNH isn't big at all there, just toned, and partly because he's fully flexed and pushing his chest out. IMO it looks like Seguin lifted a lot of weights, whereas RNH looks like he was more so doing push ups and other body weight exercises. One is built more for power, the other is for muscle endurance. RNH knows that overpowering guys will never be a part of his game.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
This just shows how bad his linemates were last year, honestly. When they didn't have the puck they would honestly just stand there and float around for a shot or open net.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
...what? You mean all that crap last year where half our team was AHL callups? That was pretty much the opposite.

they sent their best defenseman to the AHL. They traded away two of their best players. This is not a team trying to win, it is a team trying to lose to get first round pick which they got. I have no respect for any teams that does that and will always hate that team.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
He is not being feed by Hall. He is feeding all the players around him. A good players makes others better. Look at last night Gagner has not had a good year he moves to RNH line and plays Left wing gets two goals one assist. Both goals setup by RNH. I did not like Tavares in Junior and i do not like him now. He does not make players better playing with him. He needs players to help him get better. A good player will make everyone better. And i am not a fan of Edmonton as i believe they tried to lost last year to get first draft pick. They traded away players for nothing so they would lose games also they send players to the AHL so they could lose more games.

Whoa whoa whoa slow it down... Tavares has assisted on 12 ofMatt Moulson's 14 goals this. Furthermore, Matt Moulson, who is not a former top draft pick has scored back to back 30 plus goal season playing along side Tavares. Heck even Parenteau had 50 points last year with Tavers during his first real stint with the Islanders. Therefore, safe to say Tavares makes the players around him better.

That being said, Tavares does beed more legit talent around him in order to really flourish because, although those guys next to him have put up points they are not drawing attention nor are they good set up guys at all.

I am not saying RNH is a product of the Oilers or the players around him. However, does without a doubt help to have the players he does as well as a LEGIT HEAD COACH helping him to develop. Tavres has gad Scott Gordon and freakin Jack Capuano to help usher him into this league.

JT was no slouch when he came into the league either his rookie season but what I am alluding to is the fact that RIGHT now Johnny is sitting with nine goals and not really making that LEAP into stardom like expected. Whereas, RNH is already looking to be on a Stamkos like tear.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004

You dont have a clue about Edms situation last year :shakehead

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Whoa whoa whoa slow it down... Tavares has assisted on 12 ofMatt Moulson's 14 goals this. Furthermore, Matt Moulson, who is not a former top draft pick has scored back to back 30 plus goal season playing along side Tavares. Heck even Parenteau had 50 points last year with Tavers during his first real stint with the Islanders. Therefore, safe to say Tavares makes the players around him better.

That being said, Tavares does beed more legit talent around him in order to really flourish because, although those guys next to him have put up points they are not drawing attention nor are they good set up guys at all.

I am not saying RNH is a product of the Oilers or the players around him. However, does without a doubt help to have the players he does as well as a LEGIT HEAD COACH helping him to develop. Tavres has gad Scott Gordon and freakin Jack Capuano to help usher him into this league.

JT was no slouch when he came into the league either his rookie season but what I am alluding to is the fact that RIGHT now Johnny is sitting with nine goals and not really making that LEAP into stardom like expected. Whereas, RNH is already looking to be on a Stamkos like tear.

JT is an awesome prospect that will be a star someday. Hopefully for you guys its not on another team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad