Injury Report: Ryan Murray

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 5m
#CBJ coach Todd Richards said he doesn't believe injury to rookie D Ryan Murray was serious, but could "keep him out." However ..... also been told it's not a minor injury, with the suggestion that it could be season-ending. Murray will have further tests on Tuesday.

:shakehead

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We'll see I guess. If he's out long term, we need to make a move.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 5m
#CBJ coach Todd Richards said he doesn't believe injury to rookie D Ryan Murray was serious, but could "keep him out." However ..... also been told it's not a minor injury, with the suggestion that it could be season-ending. Murray will have further tests on Tuesday.

:shakehead

Not serious, but could keep him out for the season? :huh:

Losing Murray for any period of time hurts, I think of him as our steadiest defender. But it really shouldn't change anyone's attitude vis-a-vis the trade deadline or the playoff hunt. We're still in it and Erixon and Golo can cover for him, just like they covered for guys down the stretch last year.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Even if he's only out a week or so, a trade still needs to be made.

We can't go into the next stretch of games with such an inexperienced group and an ailing Wiz.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Out of this list, any interest?

Ehrhoff (would take significant assets)
Myers(same as above)
Edler(same as above)
Vatanen(same as above)
Weaver(probably a draft pick and soon to be UFA)
Gilbert(same as Weaver both cost and contract status)
Macdonald(think Islanders want at least a 1st for him and a soon to be UFA)
N.Schultz(Edmonton wants draft picks, I could see them asking for a 3rd and soon to be UFA)
Smid(not sure if he is actually on the block but last week or so, rumored to be at least taking offers. Won't cost the same as Myers, Edler, etc but I think the Flames are still asking for a solid offer)
Phillips(with Sens and Jackets fighting for a playoff spot, could see Sens asking for a lot and soon to be UFA)
Anyone else?

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

Myers(same as above)
Edler(same as above)
Vatanen(same as above)
N.Schultz(Edmonton wants draft picks, I could see them asking for a 3rd and soon to be UFA)
Smid(not sure if he is actually on the block but last week or so, rumored to be at least taking offers. Won't cost the same as Myers, Edler, etc but I think the Flames are still asking for a solid offer)
Phillips(with Sens and Jackets fighting for a playoff spot, could see Sens asking for a lot and soon to be UFA)
Anyone else?

Yes
No
With Kesler not waiving NTC, No thought there might have been possibility of package deal.
No
Maybe
No
Yes
No
Maybe
No

Cory Sarich. With rumors of Paul Stastny floating around, he might be a veteran type that would be useful.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
At what point did people see Erixon and Golo in over their heads? Because I haven't seen it. This is what we have depth for, play them. I feel like folks just see that they're young and haven't played on the big club this season and assume that they'll fail, but every time they've had a chance they've played well.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
At what point did people see Erixon and Golo in over their heads? Because I haven't seen it. This is what we have depth for, play them. I feel like folks just see that they're young and haven't played on the big club this season and assume that they'll fail, but every time they've had a chance they've played well.

I'm down with this if Tyutin is close to returning. Murray's been great, but I think Erixon and Golo can step in and cover for him (at least where Murray is at this stage of his career). If Tyutin's injury is going to linger awhile, a relatively inexpensive veteran D wouldn't be a bad thing, even if it is just a rental.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I don't think that people will think that they will fail. However, this is a playoff race. It doesn't bode well that the CBJ D hasn't exactly played great this year and they can't break the top 6. People and management are more apt to trust proven NHL talent at this stage of the season.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I'm down with this if Tyutin is close to returning. Murray's been great, but I think Erixon and Golo can step in and cover for him (at least where Murray is at this stage of his career). If Tyutin's injury is going to linger awhile, a relatively inexpensive veteran D wouldn't be a bad thing, even if it is just a rental.
Wednesday is the deadline. Tyutin is suppose to be out 2 to 3 weeks but what if he suffers a set back? What if Erixon or Goloubef can't handle the pressure? I say add a veteran D as a insurance. Especially if it's not going to cost the team an arm and a leg. Would suck if they did nothing and a something happens and they can't make a trade because the deadline past.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Hainsey? No ****ing way. God please no. There are already a few defenders on this team that piss me of enough already, I don't want to add Hollywood Bloom to that list.

Milltec

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus
What about Byfuglien? Isn't he available? I don't know if he is too offensively minded for what we already have on D but we need to make a move before the deadline for a steady vet defender.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
What about Byfuglien? Isn't he available? I don't know if he is too offensively minded for what we already have on D but we need to make a move before the deadline for a steady vet defender.

You really want a D moved to F?

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007

Myers(same as above)
Edler(same as above)
Vatanen(same as above)
Anyone else?

I'd be very interested in Erhoff or Myers from that list. Typically I wouldn't want to make a big investment for a deadline deal, but these two might be exceptions because they are locked up at a reasonable rate.

Myers is young, still has a lot of upside, and has a fantastic contract for a 24 year old. His 7 year deal was HEAVILY front loaded. He only has $20.5m left over the next 5 years. At the end he'll still be in his prime. IMO-Myers and Murray would make a very nice #1 pair for a long time.

2014-15 $5,000,000
2015-16 $5,000,000
2016-17 $4,000,000
2017-18 $3,500,000
2018-19 $3,000,000

Erhoff's deal is pretty good too, but he's 31 and has 7 years left on his deal. Of course the last three years could be bought out fairly cheaply if he's too old to play at a high level. .

2014-15 $4,000,000
2015-16 $4,000,000
2016-17 $4,000,000
2017-18 $3,000,000
2018-19 $1,000,000
2019-20 $1,000,000
2020-21 $1,000,000

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Erhoff's deal is pretty good too, but he's 31 and has 7 years left on his deal. Of course the last three years could be bought out fairly cheaply if he's too old to play at a high level. .

2014-15 $4,000,000
2015-16 $4,000,000
2016-17 $4,000,000
2017-18 $3,000,000
2018-19 $1,000,000
2019-20 $1,000,000
2020-21 $1,000,000

We seem to get concerned in the over 30 crew. I'm not. You might want to look at the buyout calculator on capgeek, I think we still get hit with a pretty steep cap hit (3.3MM + an additional 3 years at .33). Not a lot of benefit to the buyout.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I have a different view than most. I believe Murray hit the wall over the past month. He's been physical and mentally slow. I'm will to give one of our younger guys a shot, someone who will bring high energy.

I know it was just 2 periods, but the second period last night was one of our best all year, and we played pretty darn good in third also.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Team is tweeting that Murray is officially day-to-day (aren't we all) with a lower body injury. Richards says he will be back sometime during the stretch drive. Goloubef goes into the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad