Confirmed with Link: Ryan Murray traded to NJ for 5th rounder

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If he can stay healthy he’d be a great partner for Severson...and we got him basically for free. Great move - huge potential upside, no risk.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Hard to argue with this, Murray is a 27 year old defensively stable NHL top 4 LHD. No reason not to capitalize when Columbus is willing to give him away as a cap casualty, he's as good as anything out there in free agency on the left side and the cap hit for one year is practically immaterial when we have $30m in space.

If he stays healthy he will play well for us, I think he'd be the ideal partner for Severson. If he gets hurt and doesn't really contribute we're only out a 5th round pick, with how deep our prospect pool is now that's no real loss, another Shlaine, Gritsyuk, Brady, Sharangovich or Schmid doesn't really move the needle for us anyway.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Gudas would be solid but I doubt he wants to come to NJ. Feel like a contender will offer him a solid deal to be a depth player. Hopefully Fitzgerald looks to add one more steady defensive presence like him in free agency.

Murray - Severson
Butcher - Subban
Smith - Gudas
Carrick
Id like to see Mermis some more defensively - but if not I wont be too upset

I think Dakota held up quite well in his own zone

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Love this move, obviously. Great upside, and just the type of guy that could help Severson realize his potential.

Our D just got better.

Reactions: MichaelJ

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This trade is why I wouldn’t jump in tomorrow absent a no brainer opportunity presenting itself on a UFA. Patience led to this and maybe patience leads to a good MAF deal amd maybe patience leads to another cap dump trade for another lefty defender and a decent second line winger. Finally a cap dump trade that moves the needle and makes sense. I’m curious how this shows what TB will be dealing with move salary.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Murray is UFA next season. Was worried they gave up a 2nd, was relieved it was only a 5th. Still a good, almost no-risk move. Need another LHD and another RHD. And some forwards. And a backup goalie.
A stop-gap to some of the prospects arrival in the following seasons I suppose. Gives time to work Bahl, Walsh, Okyotyuk (sp?), into the lineup gradually. Fabulous trade.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Better than overpaying / giving uncomfortable term to a FA. Hope he can prove he’s a top 4 guy over a full season and maybe get extended if it makes sense to for both sides.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
This trade is why I wouldn’t jump in tomorrow absent a no brainer opportunity presenting itself on a UFA. Patience led to this and maybe patience leads to a good MAF deal amd maybe patience leads to another cap dump trade for another lefty defender and a decent second line winger. Finally a cap dump trade that moves the needle and makes sense. I’m curious how this shows what TB will be dealing with move salary.

Yeah, if this is the market...TB seems like they'd be in trouble.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I really like this. Think we finally have a good partner for Sevo.

Fitzy, you dirty dog, you did it again.
Id like if we could acquire a Brodie-type for the top pair, move Butcher or make him the 7th man. Someone who has experience with those minutes. 3x6 or 4x5 for Brodie? Just a name Ive thought of

Murray is good but I dont think having an injury prone guy as a penciled in top pair player is a good idea

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I want to see a different system and stabilize these guys with the right partner. Both Severson and Butcher do some things extremely well and frankly, the more they got coached, the weaker their games became. Severson started looking better almost immediately after Hynes was fired and the team seemed to play a simpler game.

I hope Murray can put together a healthy season but not holding my breath.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I thought first that we should just pair him with Severson- that it was obvious he'd be the balance the guy needed -

But maybe we pair him 1st pairing with Subban to really eat minutes - and see if he can recapture something of his true value. We have Subban for 2 years and Severson for 3 at current contracts - and we probably can't dump Subban...

Murray - Subban
? - Severson
Smith/Butcher - ?
Carrick

I don't think Smith is ready for 2nd pair left side - I don't know if Butcher can really be 2nd pairing guy either.
I'd love it if we picked up one or two more stable Dmen - Tanev, Hamonic, Gudas, Shattenkirk or Schultz even.. but they all shoot right...

but maybe the way to go is through another cap dump trade... somehow thief Ethan Bear or Sergachev...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Good luck in New Jersey Murr. I'm thrilled that you are getting a new opportunity.

Ryan Murray was one of my favorite players in Columbus. He can be one of your favorites in New Jersey too, just don't stress it if he misses some games, and just enjoy him when he's there. He's a very smart defender and a world-class passer. I describe him as a #2/3 caliber defender that can't be relied on for #2/3 minutes.

Here's a bit of intel - he hasn't had many random injuries in recent years. It's the same back problem the whole time where his back tightens up. Last year in Columbus they started a load management plan where he sits one end of back-to-back games. He still missed a good chunk of time. I'm really hoping you've got a training staff in New Jersey that can find some magic.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
This move alone likely makes the BUF 5th more valuable than our own, that we gave up.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What a top 4 that was...Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk, Reinhart.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/a-scouts-life-2012-draft-looking-weak

The interesting thing is that there were murmurs of it being a weak draft three years in advance.

Mix in long term injuries to Galchenyuk (8 games that season), Rielly (23), and Koekkoek (26) that year as well.

I still enjoy bugging my Habs friend about that draft. I suggested Filip Forsberg for them and he wanted Galchenyuk because he was a center. When Montreal took Galchenyuk 3rd and Forsberg unexpectedly dropped to 11, my friend gloated that he was correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad