Confirmed with Link: Ryan Murray traded to NJ for 5th rounder

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Given that Butcher has played both sides in the past then maybe we should just ride with a bottom pairing of Smith - Butcher?

Yeah, I mean Butcher is a pretty cerebral dude in the Andy Greene school of evading getting crushed and getting out of troubles - but I don't know about pairing him with a rookie - especially if neither have size. I'd be worried they could get caught out there alot.

It's the same drum we've been beating forever, but it would be nice to have a guy who is reliable in his own zone and in the prime of his career. It's been a tough couple of years watching when Andy Greene is one of the few guys you can count on in your end and he's ancient. I'm hoping we pick up a Tanev/Hamonic type for the bottom pair and put them with Smith.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Ryan Murray deal is a tremendous, if under-the-radar, acquisition. He's a defenseman with good size, skates and puck skills with a solid first pass. He immediately becomes the Devils most proficient LD at the NHL level.

Though by NHL standards, I would consider Murray a "high level bottom-pairing" LD or a "low-level mid-pairing D" -- we must keep in mind how desperate the Devils are at LD and how low the cost to acquire Murray was. A 5th round pick is very little for a player who, if healthy, should be a 20+ minute per game Devil, unless they acquire more talent at LD. Hats off to the management team for this deal -- nice job guys!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That's not saying all that much. I think *I* would immediately become the Devils most proficient LD if I decided to learn to skate.

I heard you have a nice wrist shot, but that's not the point. The point is that the Devils turned a 5th round pick into their best LD. Murray's style is responsible enough and his puck-moving good enough that I think he would make a nice partner for Severson.

I would still like to sign Andy Greene to a one-year deal, as mentor/partner to Ty Smith on the third pairing. I get that Will Butcher is not the answer on the second pairing with Subban, but maybe the Devils can use him in a package for a more capable, mid-pairing defender at LD. I'm fine with going into the season with Mueller as the 7th D.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I heard you have a nice wrist shot, but that's not the point. The point is that the Devils turned a 5th round pick into their best LD. Murray's style is responsible enough and his puck-moving good enough that I think he would make a nice partner for Severson.

I would still like to sign Andy Greene to a one-year deal, as mentor/partner to Ty Smith on the third pairing. I get that Will Butcher is not the answer on the second pairing with Subban, but maybe the Devils can use him in a package for a more capable, mid-pairing defender at LD. I'm fine with going into the season with Mueller as the 7th D.
Mueller wasn't tendered a qualifying offer. We'd have to sign him as a UFA. Maybe we do that at a lower cost, or maybe we bring up a kid. Or maybe there better options out there for a 7th D at a cheaper rate.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Huge no to Andy Greene. Its time to move on.

We have a new coach and with Cory being bought out, its a perfect time to turn over the last remaining players of the Lou Era.

Zajac and Wood are the last two left and I expect both to be traded by trade deadline.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Huge no to Andy Greene. Its time to move on.

We have a new coach and with Cory being bought out, its a perfect time to turn over the last remaining players of the Lou Era.

Zajac and Wood are the last two left and I expect both to be traded by trade deadline.
Why move Zajac? Id rather re-sign him to a cheaper deal for two years after this ones up

Hes an incredible vet for our youngsters (were the youngest team in the league) and he still is defensively capable for the 4th line and plays a decent amount of minutes still so its not like hes useless

Wood can go for all I care! But I like Zajac and the idea of him retiring a Devil

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That's not saying all that much. I think *I* would immediately become the Devils most proficient LD if I decided to learn to skate.

Unrelated, but I remember my friend bringing a ringer to pickup hockey once. Friend said he had played NCAA D1 hockey. After being a beer league goalie for 15+ years, I was delusional enough to think I might be able to not embarrass myself. Late in the session, ringer gets on a breakaway. I think to myself "Alright buddy, let's see what you got." Guy proceeds to deke me out of my jock and made it look like he wasn't even trying.

When I got home I looked up his hockeydb profile. My ego was further bruised when I learned he only played one season of D1 and was a healthy scratch for most of that year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nice deal. I like it a lot...I was about to write how a top 4 defender who can't stay healthy is more of a detriment than an asset... and generally I do believe that but in this instance it maybe the perfect situation...

Murray has averaged 47 games over the last 4 years, normally I would say that is a bad situation because as soon as he goes down the entire D needs to be shuffled and that usually sends the D into a tailspin when you lack depth like we do...but if we can get those 40-ish games and Bahl can get those first 40-ish games in the AHL that could be a very good stepping off point for Bahl.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Nice deal. I like it a lot...I was about to write how a top 4 defender who can't stay healthy is more of a detriment than an asset... and generally I do believe that but in this instance it maybe the perfect situation...

Murray has averaged 47 games over the last 4 years, normally I would say that is a bad situation because as soon as he goes down the entire D needs to be shuffled and that usually sends the D into a tailspin when you lack depth like we do...but if we can get those 40-ish games and Bahl can get those first 40-ish games in the AHL that could be a very good stepping off point for Bahl.
Is this barring that Smith isnt on the NHL roster ?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The Ryan Murray deal is a tremendous, if under-the-radar, acquisition. He's a defenseman with good size, skates and puck skills with a solid first pass. He immediately becomes the Devils most proficient LD at the NHL level.

Though by NHL standards, I would consider Murray a "high level bottom-pairing" LD or a "low-level mid-pairing D" -- we must keep in mind how desperate the Devils are at LD and how low the cost to acquire Murray was. A 5th round pick is very little for a player who, if healthy, should be a 20+ minute per game Devil, unless they acquire more talent at LD. Hats off to the management team for this deal -- nice job guys!

Man you are a tough grader . Murray a high level bottom paring ?
He was the 3rd Dman behind a Norris candidate Jones and Werenski who led NHL D in goals.....

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is this barring that Smith isnt on the NHL roster ?
I sort of assumed Smith would be here

I mean from my perspective we only have 3 Dmen that if healthy are guaranteed to have spots, Severson, Subban and Murray. At this point we don't know for certain whether Smith will play the left side or the right side and we don't know what we might see as far as additions...so it's difficult to draw up pairings at this point.

I was going with the thought that I think Bahl needs more seasoning and probably shouldn't be thrown into the NHL immediately.. Not an original thought I have read a couple of scouting reports say the same and based on what I have seen I agree.

I don't think Smith being on the team or not is a factor for Bahl.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
I sort of assumed Smith would be here

I mean from my perspective we only have 3 Dmen that if healthy are guaranteed to have spots, Severson, Subban and Murray. At this point we don't know for certain whether Smith will play the left side or the right side and we don't know what we might see as far as additions...so it's difficult to draw up pairings at this point.

I was going with the thought that I think Bahl needs more seasoning and probably shouldn't be thrown into the NHL immediately.. Not an original thought I have read a couple of scouting reports say the same and based on what I have seen I agree.

I don't think Smith being on the team or not is a factor for Bahl.
You forgot about Butcher. I try to forget about him too sometimes

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad