Ryan Murphy called up?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Honestly he COULD help the team tonight. He's more likely to be a gigantic liability but even if he plays well and helps the team, he's going back to juniors before they burn a year off his ELC.

I honestly don't know what to expect.

He could skate circles around the Jets. They aren't the fastest team in the League, by any means.

Or he can generate nothing, and be a compete liability defensively, as you said.

All that's certain, is the Jets fans watching this game will most likely leave with a similar view of Murphy they came in with.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I honestly don't know what to expect.

He could skate circles around the Jets. They aren't the fastest team in the League, by any means.

Or he can generate nothing, and be a compete liability defensively, as you said.

All that's certain, is the Jets fans watching this game will most likely leave with a similar view of Murphy they came in with.

He could look competent in comparison to Jordan and Sanguinetti which could confuse Jets fans into thinking he doesn't suck.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As I recall, they brought him up after his junior year ended, so he technically wasn't a mid junior season call up. At least I think that's what Chuck was getting at.

I'm sure they did do that, but I'm pretty positive they brought him up in the middle of that season for three games and sent him back. It's how I know about the emergency call up. Whenever I hear that happening I think of giggy as a kid getting called up like that. I had no idea they could do it till then.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I honestly don't think they *can* keep Murphy.... regardless of what he does up here. I know that emergency recalls usually go back down as soon as possible. Brayden Schenn for the Kings and Sven Bartschi for the Flames. In Bartschi's case, he was ripping it up. I bet they would have loved to keep him up.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Giguere/Giguere_bio.html

Kind of proof. His first nhl win was in December. He played junior that year so it wasn't an extended audition or a late call up. With Burke and muzzatti they had no intention of using him yet. I remember that Philly game, it was a miracle we won/tied maybe. Can't find the one link but I'm telling y'all it was an emergency injury call up from junior.

And if memory serves vagrant is right, I don't think we can keep him either unless its for injury purposes.
http://m.hkref.com/m?p=XXboxscoresXX199612280HAR.html
Here's one game he played in December, it wasn't a late season call up. He lost the Philly game. Won in Ottawa.

Checked em all, he played in early dec through early jan, was mostly backing up muzzatti. When Burke came back in jan giggy doesn't appear again. Emergency junior call up.

Last edited:

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
rookie of the year,, finally good pp qb we need it badly on our pp

he's going to make mcbain expendable

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Giguere/Giguere_bio.html

Kind of proof. His first nhl win was in December. He played junior that year so it wasn't an extended audition or a late call up. With Burke and muzzatti they had no intention of using him yet. I remember that Philly game, it was a miracle we won/tied maybe. Can't find the one link but I'm telling y'all it was an emergency injury call up from junior.

And if memory serves vagrant is right, I don't think we can keep him either unless its for injury purposes.
http://m.hkref.com/m?p=XXboxscoresXX199612280HAR.html
Here's one game he played in December, it wasn't a late season call up. He lost the Philly game. Won in Ottawa.

Checked em all, he played in early dec through early jan, was mostly backing up muzzatti. When Burke came back in jan giggy doesn't appear again. Emergency junior call up.

Both me and Chuck were wrong about something Whaler related? WTF is this world coming to?

Edit: I went to one of the games (I was 11) and couldn't figure out why the goalie in warm ups had red pads.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I really enjoyed watching Murphy play last night. I'm excited to (hopefully) see him in the lineup next season. If not at least he will be playing for the Checkers and getting a few call ups i'm sure

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Murphy HAS to go back to the OHL as soon as any one of Pitkanen, Gleason or McBain come back from injury. Pitkanen was rumored to be ready yesterday. I doubt he misses any games this weekend.

Murphy still shows some promise, but he's still too small in my opinion. I don't think he's 5-11 as listed either. He'll need to put on 15-20 pounds before he plays regular NHL minutes.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
They let Murphy play 20 minutes of fun hockey. I don't want him to put on weight or anything like that because that will harm his greatest strength (his skating). Murphy is what he is, but he could be great at what he is.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
They let Murphy play 20 minutes of fun hockey. I don't want him to put on weight or anything like that because that will harm his greatest strength (his skating). Murphy is what he is, but he could be great at what he is.

I thought it was interesting that Muller told him, "just go out there and do your thing, play offense, don't worry about the defensive game."

Not that his defensive game was terrible or anything, but it needs work. Dave Lewis will be good for Murphy next year, when he finally gets here.

But I disagree about his size.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
But I disagree about his size.

Yep. If he does a decent job of spreading out that muscle, with a bit of concentration in his thighs/core, he won't lose any speed as long as he keeps the weight gain to 10-20 pounds.

I think if he legit gains 5 pounds he's an NHLer, with the rest coming while he's here.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Yeah, so long as it's done right I wouldn't worry about the speed. But holy cow, if he could bulk up some in the off-season and add some size/physicality to his stick skills and speed...

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The CHL is considered the top junior league in the world. Right now Murphy has to be one of the top skating D men in Canada or anywhere else.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Even if McBain stays, next year's D looks better when you look at Harrison-Murphy as the bottom pairing:
Gleason-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain
Harrison-Murphy

I've come around on this defense crew after watching a few other games lately. Relative to what a lot of other teams are running out there, this bunch is decent and the top 3 guys are about as good as you could realistically hope for.

Would prefer to see McBain+whatever flipped for a veteran shot-blocker (Hannan?) but you're right, even if he stays he'll at least have the benefit of another year of experience.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Yeah, so long as it's done right I wouldn't worry about the speed. But holy cow, if he could bulk up some in the off-season and add some size/physicality to his stick skills and speed...

He needs to join his old team mate at Gary Roberts summer camp. Skinner has put on a lot of muscle, and they really concentrate on core strength! Skinner is as fast if not faster today, then he was 2 years ago. He might not know what month it is, but he skates pretty well, despite adding 20 pounds of muscle!

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
He needs to join his old team mate at Gary Roberts summer camp. Skinner has put on a lot of muscle, and they really concentrate on core strength! Skinner is as fast if not faster today, then he was 2 years ago. He might not know what month it is, but he skates pretty well, despite adding 20 pounds of muscle!

Heck yeah! I thought of exactly that after what I'd posted, too. Imagine what he could be like if he came to camp buffed up from training with Roberts!

Would love to see a lot of the haters eating crow next season. :D

WWAD

Aug 20, 2009
Erik Karlsson was listed at 165 when he was drafted, and is now listed at 187, so packing on 20 pounds over a few seasons shouldn't hurt Murphy's speed if done smartly.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yep. Murphy is already roughly the same size as Tobias Enstrom, and they play a similar game. The stance that he must put on 20 lbs. or so to be an NHL player is far from a fact. His primary focus needs to be on positional D and decision-making not packing on pounds.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The issue isn't whether or not he side-steps hits, it's what he does when he avoids a hit. Last night, I only saw one instance where it didn't work for him, and more often than not, not only did it work, it worked well.

Only one game, so I won't read too much into it, but he didn't come out of that with a ton of red flags, and that's a great thing to say of the first NHL game for a defenseman who is labeled as a puck-mover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad