Confirmed with Link: Ryan Mcleod Re-Signed $2.1 million AAV x 2 Years, Avoids Arbitration Hearing

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
About 300 - 400 k overpayment.

He worth 2.1 m when he is playing his best hockey. However, there is too long of stretches where he doesn't deserve much more than 1.

Not the end of the world, but let's hope someone better comes in at 3c. Then we can really cry at the overpayment.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

He worth 2.1 m when he is playing his best hockey. However, there is too long of stretches where he doesn't deserve much more than 1.

Not the end of the world, but let's hope someone better comes in at 3c. Then we can really cry at the overpayment.
If he played his best hockey the whole season, he would be above 3m easily.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
wat.

This makes zero sense. You realize that team barely squeaked into the playoffs right? Secured their spot due to a Canucks loss on the last day of the season.

The 22/23 Oilers were the 6th best team in the league last year and locked up a playoff spot with 6 games remaining. So if your argument is that the 05-06 team was so significantly better than the 6th best team in 2022 then the talent league wide must've decreased by a lot. I find that hard to believe.

Our 3C in 2006 was Stoll. He had a career year in 2006, played a full 82 and was rewarded with 68 points. He never hit that mark again. 2006 was his 2nd full season in Edmonton. He had 21 points in his rookie season. McLeod has put up 21 points in 21/22 and 23 in 22/23.

I don't see how not in an alternate universe that McLeod and Stoll would be looked on by MacTavish as similar players. Different styles but they provide similar quality in offence, defence and PK.

Should also ensure that everyone knows that Stoll was paid significantly more compared to the cap too. His contract in 06 was $2.2M or about 5% of the cap. McLeod's new contract at $2.1M is approximately half that (2.52%).
Stoll was an elite faceoff guy, but also much slower than McLeod, who is probably also more professional.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'd actually say that both player used the leverage available to them in contract negotiations. Kostin with threat to go home and McLeod willing to go to the matt with the adversarial arbitration process. Two young players at key points in career trying to secure their financial futures.

But imo this discussion isn't McLeod or Kostin. McLeod is an important cog as a bottom six centre who is clear of Kostin as a player and responsibilities while Kostin is a physical bottom six winger. The question imo was really whether Foegele or Kostin might have been a viable consideration with some cap saving and retaining some valuable team attributes for hard, physical play and functional toughness with scoring production basically a saw-off.
Let me try it a different way. Clouder is like the GF you’ve had since high school, trustworthy, has grown with you, helped out with some money issues you had last year, the one you could see sticking around for the long haul. You go to buy her a piece of jewelery, and you ask which piece she would like. She picks one out of your price range, but you both end up agreeing on a lesser valued piece, slightly more than you wanted to pay, but you think she’s a keeper and all of your friends like her.

Klim The Dream showed up part way thru the year, and you could tell right away she was going to be fun, but would eventually break your heart. When you took her to the jewelry store she immediately demanded a piece way out of your price range, and threatened to go back to her ex if you didn’t buy it for her. The fun times were great, but the threat of her leaving was always going to be on the back of your mind, and she seemed to just be hanging out with your group for the money and free donairs.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Stoll was an elite faceoff guy, but also much slower than McLeod, who is probably also more professional.

I'll take your word for it. The NHL didn't start tracking FO% until 2007-2008 but yes when they did start tracking he was very good.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You can rock a Woodcroft avatar if you lose.
giphy.gif

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

150k overpayment for me. Should have stayed below 2M but oh well. He needs to do more than a 4th liner next season for sure to justify this.

Reactions: Duke74

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Let me try it a different way. Clouder is like the GF you’ve had since high school, trustworthy, has grown with you, helped out with some money issues you had last year, the one you could see sticking around for the long haul. You go to buy her a piece of jewelery, and you ask which piece she would like. She picks one out of your price range, but you both end up agreeing on a lesser valued piece, slightly more than you wanted to pay, but you think she’s a keeper and all of your friends like her.

Klim The Dream showed up part way thru the year, and you could tell right away she was going to be fun, but would eventually break your heart. When you took her to the jewelry store she immediately demanded a piece way out of your price range, and threatened to go back to her ex if you didn’t buy it for her. The fun times were great, but the threat of her leaving was always going to be on the back of your mind, and she seemed to just be hanging out with your group for the money and free donairs.
I appreciate the analogy!

It's always different I think for homegrown draft develop players especially the Oilers who have a head coach who oversaw the development of players like McLeod. Natural that some two-way loyalty become baked in. I don't see Koskin as a malevolent girl friend to use your analogy maybe more of a girl who was in a bad relationship given a new opportunity within a new school and emerged with the baggage left behind, new friends and open, supportive minds that help the potential to manifest. Shaken by a past bad relationship, this girl looks for stability and will no longer settle for a deadbeat boyfriend situation but rather a positive relationship based upon mutual respect and self-worth.

Whew, that was hard to do! From what we saw Kostin absolutely loved Edmonton (and was loved back), engaged easily with his teammates and by reports brought some levity into an intense lock room, and we on-ice respect by this team's elite leaders when Koskin without hesitation went into battle to protect them. This was a money and security issue for a player who smoked his second chance organization that tapped into the pretty diverse latent toolkit of this player. In his shoes, maybe I would have seen Edmonton as an ideal situation and signed for a cheap, team friendly deal. But thinking of my uneven career and stunted earnings on what is a relatively short window of time, I just as likely might have pushed for the pot of gold. I don't begrudge him.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
If I lose I have to listen to two Madonna Albums in a row. I can't think of a worse fate. If you lose a Kostin avatar. Or whatever you can think of. heh

Just as comment I think the only thing that could prevent Kostin hitting 25pts is injury, limited usage, being scratched, limited games played. That kind of thing. If he plays even 65 games he'll hit 25pts.

Sure he had high shooting percentage but he also had extremely low toi and usage. For all we know he gets much more minutes in Detroit and probably some looks on the PP.

Even with much lower shooting % he could still hit for 15 goals, 10 assists, something like that. He probably gets more if Detroit does commit to him.
Madonna? That’s for triflers. A real bet calls for Yoko Ono or recorded car crashes.
I know, I know…it’s none of my business.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Kind of hate the whole arbitration process, valuation seems flawed. This is an over payment. Love the kid's wheels, everything else leaves you wanting more.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Madonna would be my special hell. Cannot stand her. Yoko hasn't recorded anything recently, and thankfully.

bwah, barff

View attachment 733310
And she did not even try to kiss you!)))

I'll take your word for it. The NHL didn't start tracking FO% until 2007-2008 but yes when they did start tracking he was very good.
Oh yes, and Stoll had a cannon of a shot. iirc, he was playing the point at times, at least after the departure of Pronger and until the arrival of Souray.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Mcleod at his rate for two years is ok. I didn't say amazing but it isn't horrible. Still almost a mill less than yam or pul got.

Kostin I like as many say and if he had been a centre he would have been more intriguing for the same money assuming Detroit would have taken Mcleod instead.

But for all all I liked of Kostin being burned by hot half year performances in the past to long term contracts make me pause on Kostin.

I wish he would have signed a show me contract to prove he can play good for a while season

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Mcleod at his rate for two years is ok. I didn't say amazing but it isn't horrible. Still almost a mill less than yam or pul got.

Kostin I like as many say and if he had been a centre he would have been more intriguing for the same money assuming Detroit would have taken Mcleod instead.

But for all all I liked of Kostin being burned by hot half year performances in the past to long term contracts make me pause on Kostin.

I wish he would have signed a show me contract to prove he can play good for a while season
this. He was not reasonable. McLeod may be a tad overpaid, but at least he showed that he belongs over the course of more than half a season.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Kind of hate the whole arbitration process, valuation seems flawed. This is an over payment. Love the kid's wheels, everything else leaves you wanting more.
Agreed, "the whole arbitration process" is always a threat to the Edmonton Oilers and weakens overall the lineup.

The Oilers are an "offensive team" so every player on the team has offensive numbers that are inflated.

The Oilers are "penalized" paying the same weak ass standard for their players as better players playing for other clubs, sometimes much better players, that play for the defensive oriented teams. Players that actually know how to play hockey and aren't off chasing squirrels all over the rink.

The Oilers need to start assembling the bottom six as defensive lines playing shutdown first roles. At least one defensive oriented third-line. Then the Oilers can maintain a better overall lineup.

Some toughness for the fourth-line would be a nice addition.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If he's a legit 3C he's a bargain. If he's a 4C then he's a little bit of a cap liability but should be an elite 4C IMO.

Reactions: grego

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If he's a legit 3C he's a bargain. If he's a 4C then he's a little bit of a cap liability but should be an elite 4C IMO.
Its interesting how the NHL contracts used to (almost exclusively) be about what you have accomplished as an NHL player.

Now it seems to be more about perceived potential....what you could accomplish as an NHL player..

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad