News Article: Ryan McDonagh should wear the 'C' (Gross and Leonard's take)

Wolfy*

I'd go for MSL, been captain before, has tons of experience, showed himself a great leader in the playoffs. But he has one year left on his contract, will turn 40, could retire.

So it will probably be McD, or one of the two wearing an A, G or Staal. Depends on who's here next season.

MSL should at least get the A Richards leaves behind if he departs.

SupersonicMonkey*

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2014-captain/read-who-will-be-the-next-captain-of-the-rangers/
3:52PM: Asked about possibly becoming the captain today, McDonagh said (Rangers):

Absolutely, I feel this year, the way that my play was escalating I felt my confidence go up as the year went on. I think when you are given more responsibility and step up and help our team win games, I think that helps guys believe and rally around you when you say stuff in the room and guys want to follow behind the thing with this team is that we have a bunch of leaders.

McDonagh said there was no discussion today about him being the captain.

McDonagh has the right mentality.

GraveyTrain9

Mar 13, 2008
New York
honestly I don't think we have a captain on this team just yet. No slight on McDonagh but we have a lot of young guys and maybe we should wait a bit longer until an obvious choice comes front and center. Who knows, maybe it will eventually be McDonagh.

I'm fine with having three A's for now.

Last edited:

Wolfy*

honestly I don't think we have a captain on this team just yet. No slight on McDonagh but we have a lot of young guys and maybe we should wait a bit longer until an obvious choice comes front and center. Who knows, maybe it will eventually be McDonagh.

I'm fine with having three A's for now.

A captain will be named by next season, according to the management. So you'll have to pick one ;)

But I agree that McDonagh isn't quite ready yet.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
McD would definitely be my first choice for the C. I wouldn't mind seeing MSL getting it just for next year though.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Being a vocal leader is not required to be a captain. Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic were far from vocal.

Not saying that we have anyone on our roster that is in the same stratosphere as Yzerman or Sakic...

But the point still stands. And as much as I love McD and think he'll do fine in leadership role, I'm not too keen on rushing him. We have plenty of great leaders in that room.

mti79

May 11, 2007
I wouldn't mind MSL but then it's almost like he's just the placeholder captain until someone else is ready. Kinda how it felt in Tampa. Like others have said, we have no idea who speaks up in the locker room and who doesn't. I think it'd be weird having all 3 letters worn by defensemen though.

I think it could be Staal if he's re-signed. I could see it being Girardi. I think it could be McD. I'm just going to wait and trust that AV will make the right decision for this team.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
McDonagh is too young to be captain IMHO. How's he supposed to lead and direct thirty-somethings on this team at age 25? You can call this over simplistic, but I call it common sense. I was also uncomfortable with Callahan's captaincy with his young age as well.

KreiMeARiver*

Don't sleep on Girardi for Captain.

hope he gets traded....

doesn't have what it takes for a long run, and it's only gonna get worse.

We shouldn't have resigned him, and I most certainly don't want him wearing the C.

KreiMeARiver*

McDonagh is too young to be captain IMHO. How's he supposed to lead and direct thirty-somethings on this team at age 25? You can call this over simplistic, but I call it common sense. I was also uncomfortable with Callahan's captaincy with his young age as well.

it's called leadership skills

Arron Asham is pretty old... should he be Captain?

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
it's called leadership skills

Arron Asham is pretty old... should he be Captain?

No my friend. I'm not just saying slap the "C" on the oldest guy in the locker room (though that guy actually is most qualified, ironically enough). I'm advocating that we go with someone that not only has leadership skills, but has experience as a captain or at least an assistant captain, plays at a high level, and is older. I also have a strong preference for vocalism. I did not think that Callahan was a great captain due to his apparent lack of vocalism, which could have very well been due to the fact that he was younger and felt out of place telling elder players what to do.

Most people want to give McDonagh captaincy because he's by far our most talented skater and a McDonagh jersey with a "C" would look bad ass, but the guy is just too young. The potential is THERE, I am not denying that. It's very apparent. But his inexperience in an official assistant captaincy position and young age are what should hold him back for now.

Only one of two players will wear the C. Girardi or MSL. McDonagh is the sexy answer, not the best answer. In the future he will be by far and away the best. No need to rush it.

KreiMeARiver*

No my friend. I'm not just saying slap the "C" on the oldest guy in the locker room (though that guy actually is most qualified, ironically enough). I'm advocating that we go with someone that not only has leadership skills, but has experience as a captain or at least an assistant captain, plays at a high level, and is older. I also have a strong preference for vocalism. I did not think that Callahan was a great captain due to his apparent lack of vocalism, which could have very well been due to the fact that he was younger and felt out of place telling elder players what to do.

Most people want to give McDonagh captaincy because he's by far our most talented skater and a McDonagh jersey with a "C" would look bad ass, but the guy is just too young. The potential is THERE, I am not denying that. It's very apparent. But his inexperience in an official assistant captaincy position and young age are what should hold him back for now.

Only one of two players will wear the C. Girardi or MSL. McDonagh is the sexy answer, not the best answer. In the future he will be by far and away the best. No need to rush it.

You don't give the C to a guy who is going to retire in a year or so, and you don't give the C to a guy who had his WORST playoff series when it counted the most. The guy single-handedly kept us out of a game 6.

You give it to the only reasonable and most obvious choice: Ryan McDonagh.

Wolfy*

One thing for sure, in 3-4 years the captain of the Rangers will be Mats Zuccarello :)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
nhl_prove_02.jpg

"You want me to score goals!?! In the playoffs???? Good luck with THAT"

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
You don't give the C to a guy who is going to retire in a year or so, and you don't give the C to a guy who had his WORST playoff series when it counted the most. The guy single-handedly kept us out of a game 6.

You give it to the only reasonable and most obvious choice: Ryan McDonagh.

Those are weak counter arguments. Who says Marty is retiring in a year? Guy's old but he's also a freak of nature, which was absolutely a factor when we traded for him. He could be in a category with Jagr and Selanne in that regard. And even if he does retire in a year, so what? In that situation he would still have been most qualified for the position, and therefore deserved captaincy. Is there anyone here that would like to say that MSL was not our biggest leader this cup run btw? Would love to hear the argument against that.

MSL is the sole player who is qualified enough to skip being an assistant captain. As far as Girardi goes, he didn't have a strong cup finals, but he is the elder to all of our defensemen, has been wearing the A for years, and is still a to pairing talent. A great second choice for captain.

McDonagh will wear the C one day. When he's ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad