News Article: Ryan McDonagh should wear the 'C' (Gross and Leonard's take)

KreiMeARiver*

Pat Leonard: NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/leoanrd-ryan-ready-lead-rangers-article-1.1832262

Andrew Gross: Bergen Record

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/hockey/the-c-suits-rangers-mcdonagh-to-a-t-1.1036371

To me, he is the obvious, and ONLY choice, here. He's the only one that really has what it takes to be Captain. Ryan has the perfect combination of demeanor, personality, and skill level. He commands respect because of how he carries himself, and his exemplary on-ice play.

Give him the C

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Pat Leonard: NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/leoanrd-ryan-ready-lead-rangers-article-1.1832262

Andrew Gross: Bergen Record

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/hockey/the-c-suits-rangers-mcdonagh-to-a-t-1.1036371

To me, he is the obvious, and ONLY choice, here. He's the only one that really has what it takes to be Captain. Ryan has the perfect combination of demeanor, personality, and skill level. He commands respect because of how he carries himself, and his exemplary on-ice play.

Give him the C

It is rare that this team has the option to make a move that is both the logical & obvious choice. Therefore, Kevin Klein will be named captain.

KreiMeARiver*

It is rare that this team has the option to make a move that is both the logical & obvious choice. Therefore, Kevin Klein will be named captain.

or maybe Kevin Kline? or maybe the Fish called Wanda, itself.

Anyone other than McD and it's a disgrace imo.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005

Here I was going to say Rick Nash, except AV seems to have a brain so I'm sticking with McD.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Nash said he wants McD to be captain a while back I believe.

That said, I don't know what McD is like in the locker room. Personally I'm not someone who says best player = captain or hardest working player = captain. The player who is going to be captain has to have a real set of balls on the ice and in the locker room. One of the things I remember hearing about Callahan is that he wasn't one to really speak up in the locker room. Those types of players should never get more than the A no matter how they play on the ice. The captain needs to be someone who will speak up and get everyone in line when things are looking bad. Can McD do that? I have no clue.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
From what I've seen on videos, Girardi sounds like a good alternative for captain. It might be that the whole McDonagh train is mostly set by the media and fan opinion after a very long stretch of amazing play.

That being said, I think McDonagh will be the captain, all indications point that way.

Who are the realistic expectations for the A's though, with Richards and Boyle "surely" gone. It absolutely cannot be Rick Nash, he cant take both the letter, and another "bad" season by the standard of production he's being held to by the fans, they'd decimate him.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
From what I've seen on videos, Girardi sounds like a good alternative for captain. It might be that the whole McDonagh train is mostly set by the media and fan opinion after a very long stretch of amazing play.

That being said, I think McDonagh will be the captain, all indications point that way.

Who are the realistic expectations for the A's though, with Richards and Boyle "surely" gone. It absolutely cannot be Rick Nash, he cant take both the letter, and another "bad" season by the standard of production he's being held to by the fans, they'd decimate him.
Girardi and Staal already have A's

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I don't see it happening unless Staal is traded. They're not going to strip the As from Staal or Girardi, and you can't have every single letter belonging to a defenseman. JMO, of course, but I think Giardi will be promoted to Captain, unless Staal extends long-term, and MSL/Zucc/Stepan gets an A.

KreiMeARiver*

I don't see it happening unless Staal is traded. They're not going to strip the As from Staal or Girardi, and you can't have every single letter belonging to a defenseman. JMO, of course, but I think Giardi will be promoted to Captain, unless Staal extends long-term, and MSL/Zucc/Stepan gets an A.

none of this is going to happen. not 1 part.

yeah no letter for McDonagh. uh huh

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Nash said he wants McD to be captain a while back I believe.

That said, I don't know what McD is like in the locker room. Personally I'm not someone who says best player = captain or hardest working player = captain. The player who is going to be captain has to have a real set of balls on the ice and in the locker room. One of the things I remember hearing about Callahan is that he wasn't one to really speak up in the locker room. Those types of players should never get more than the A no matter how they play on the ice. The captain needs to be someone who will speak up and get everyone in line when things are looking bad. Can McD do that? I have no clue.

There are two types of leaders. Those who lead by example & those who lead by earned respect. A guy like McDonagh may not be the most vocal in the locker room but he can definitely lead by example. Messier was solid in both aspects. Neither is a bad way to lead as long as it is conducive to getting a better result out of your team.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Brian Leetch was the logical and obvious choice for Captain, too. We know how that worked out. I'm not saying it's the same situation with McD, but WE (and even the beat writers) don't have a complete understanding of the locker room.

Just because McD is our best skater and gives a decent interview doesn't make him a leader of men. When was the last time a player without a letter was made captain over multiple players who have already worn letters?

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Brian Leetch was the logical and obvious choice for Captain, too. We know how that worked out. I'm not saying it's the same situation with McD, but WE (and even the beat writers) don't have a complete understanding of the locker room.

Just because McD is our best skater and gives a decent interview doesn't make him a leader of men. When was the last time a player without a letter was made captain over multiple players who have already worn letters?

I would guess off the top of my head.... Landeskog?

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
I just hope that we have different results than the last time we gave our best defenseman the captain C. Was it a coincidence that when Brian Leetch was given the "C", his game slipped? Graves or Gretzky should have been the captains (moreso the former because he was the tenured Ranger and I know people won't agree on Gretzky would only be here 2 more seasons - but he was an option). Leetch following Messier as Captain didn't work out so great.

That being said, I am with most where I am not sure what kind of leader Mack Truck will be. I think this team can probably make several choices.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
There are two types of leaders. Those who lead by example & those who lead by earned respect. A guy like McDonagh may not be the most vocal in the locker room but he can definitely lead by example. Messier was solid in both aspects. Neither is a bad way to lead as long as it is conducive to getting a better result out of your team.

I'm not a fan of guys being captain who "lead by example" and aren't vocal in the locker room. Leetch is a great example of this. Callahan is another (although less skilled than Leetch/McD). You want the Messier type of captain, one who can lead on and off the ice. A "lead by example" player is one who only leads on the ice, he's missing another important aspect of being a captain.

As I said, I have no idea who the vocal leaders in the locker room are (or if McD is one of them), so I can't comment beyond that.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

Early in the year nash wore an A for a few games. I think it was preseason tho

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
nhl_prove_02.jpg

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Stepan wore an A for the last game in Montreal, but that's when McD was sitting out.

Personally I'm not crazy about it. He's probably the right choice but it just feels like someone is going to be forced into the Captaincy role rather than earning it. Yeah McD had a great year and he's arguably our best player. But I don't see why we can't go with 3 As. During this playoff run did I feel McD was leading the team? No. If anyone it was either Brad Richards or St. Louis.

I'm not crazy about naming a Captain right now, but it's whatever. Would be really weird having Staal McD and G all wearing letters too.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
AV sees Staal as a leader. Someone can bring up the quote from earlier in the year.

If he is re-signed I could see him being Captain.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
No one except the guys in the room should select their captain. These reporters' opinions are nice, but what goes on in the room and in other places is what matters most, which they aren't privy to.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
McD
Staal
MSL
Stepan
Girardi

I think that should be the order of who should wear the 'C'.

But, like many other posters have pointed out, we knew it was Richie leading the room once Cally left, we have no idea who else was leading in there, and who will step up with Richie out the door.

AV said he has someone in mind, he could shock the world and name Klein captain for all we know :naughty:

Championship*

It's a fait accompli. Mac Truck will be the next Captain of the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00