News Article: Ryan McDonagh should wear the 'C' (Gross and Leonard's take)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Here's my take on who I think will be named Captain:

Long-term Staal>Girardi>McDonagh>MSL>pending UFA Staal

Long story short, I think it's Staal's captaincy if he extends long term. If not, I think it goes to Girardi. McDonagh and MSL are the less likely options in my opinion.

I think McDonagh will make an awesome captain someday, but why burden the kid with the C when he still has developing to do?

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Zucc isn't captain material, he's too much of a locker-room fun-guy to be considered as *the* guy, at best in a few years he might get an A when Staal and G arent around to have one, or even Stepan

I think he could get an A. His effort on ice is absolutely "leading by example". I don´t see why he couldn´t be Captain material either if he keeps up his progress and with more experience in the NHL. But of course this has to be a few years from now.

zuccarello-action-shot-5.jpg

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Well, right now we have an interesting Situation:

C = Callahan (gone)
A = Richards (Likely to be gone)
A = Girardi
A = Staal

Now, hypothetically, I would think the best way to do this is to:

- Not rush McD into captaincy
- Not give the captaincy to anyone without a long term contract
- Not give the captaincy to someone who may retire soon

Most of this is dependent on who is traded, and who gets long term deals. Assuming Staal is traded, I'd suggest this:

C = Girardi
A = MSL
A = McDonough
A = Zuccarello

If Staal is kept, give him the remaining A instead of Zucc... But I'd still be a fan of Zucc getting it. Guy has more heart than half the team on soem nights

KreiMeARiver*

Well, right now we have an interesting Situation:

C = Callahan (gone)
A = Richards (Likely to be gone)
A = Girardi
A = Staal

Now, hypothetically, I would think the best way to do this is to:

- Not rush McD into captaincy
- Not give the captaincy to anyone without a long term contract
- Not give the captaincy to someone who may retire soon

Most of this is dependent on who is traded, and who gets long term deals. Assuming Staal is traded, I'd suggest this:

C = Girardi
A = MSL
A = McDonough
A = Zuccarello

If Staal is kept, give him the remaining A instead of Zucc... But I'd still be a fan of Zucc getting it. Guy has more heart than half the team on soem nights

Girardi is not Captain material.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Girardi is not Captain material.

You mean you don't like when your captain's stick breaks and he goes laughing to the bench while a penalty killer scores a crucial swing goal in the Stanley cup finals? Or when he makes a game 1 winning assist in OT of the SCF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad