Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Malone and Conor Allen re-assigned to Hartford/Fast Recalled

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Don't you know? If the player doesn't score a ppg when he originally comes up, 4th line or not, he's crap.

I swear, the lack of patience and the need for instant gratification here has gotten vomit-worthy

Ha. Agreed. I wonder how many people without that patience weren't around for Dubinsky, Anisimov and Callahan coming up through the ranks. Hell, we know most of them must have been around for Kreider. None of them had good first impressions at the NHL level.

Derek Stepan is the only Rangers rookie forward that I have been wowed by immediately that I can recall (I was too young to have strong memories of Amonte and Weight as rookies). I guess to some extent Petr Prucha as well.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Ha. Agreed. I wonder how many people without that patience weren't around for Dubinsky, Anisimov and Callahan coming up through the ranks. Hell, we know most of them must have been around for Kreider. None of them had good first impressions at the NHL level.

Derek Stepan is the only Rangers rookie forward that I have been wowed by immediately that I can recall (I was too young to have strong memories of Amonte and Weight as rookies). I guess to some extent Petr Prucha as well.

Del Zotto too.

But the point remains. Sauer, Hagelin, McDonagh, Talbot, Korpikoski, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan. I mean the majority of the players who have developed have developed slowly. That's the normal, not the other way around.

Clarke and Gorton have even commented that they would like this organization to get to the point that the Red Wings are at. Over develop at the AHL level.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Del Zotto too.

But the point remains. Sauer, Hagelin, McDonagh, Talbot, Korpikoski, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan. I mean the majority of the players who have developed have developed slowly. That's the normal, not the other way around.

Clarke and Gorton have even commented that they would like this organization to get to the point that the Red Wings are at. Over develop at the AHL level.

The funny things is, I've been saying for about three years that the player to compare him to is Gustav Nyqvist.

Nyqvist in the NHL:
21-22 years old: 18 GP, 1-6-7
22-23 years old: 22 GP, 3-3-6

Fast is a 22 year old who's been called up and been asked to play on the fourth line. He's doing exactly what he's been asked to do. Notice how the fourth line was better at cycling tonight - even with ball and chain Glass on the line?

Now, Nyqvist has blown away all expectations and is on pace to score over 40 goals after going for 28 in 57 last year and I'm by no means predicting that Fast will be THAT good, but I firmly believe he still has legitimate 2nd line upside.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think Nyquist has really blown away my expectations. He was better than PPG for two seasons in the AHL. For him to breakout offensively makes sense.

But the broader point about players that age... That just because they haven't yet put it together at the NHL level doesn't mean they won't... That's the important part.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I don't think Nyquist has really blown away my expectations. He was better than PPG for two seasons in the AHL. For him to breakout offensively makes sense.

But the broader point about players that age... That just because they haven't yet put it together at the NHL level doesn't mean they won't... That's the important part.

Artem Anisimov was a PPG in the AHL.

After having a seen a bit of him during those two seasons, I fully expected Nyqvist to be a 25-ish goal scorer, but he's a legitimate first line sniper now - that definitely counts as blowing away my expectations, anyway (especially for a 4th round pick).

But yes, we agree. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad