Confirmed with Link: Ryan Kuffner

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Who in our system outside of Zadina, Veleno, and our top 5 pick this year (maybe) could realistically make the team in the next two years? I like Berggren but he’s a few years away minimum.

It’s only a Logjam if you view guys like Ehn as an integral part of the team moving forward. There are plenty of spots to be had, even if we sign a mid tier FA to replace Vanek

Svechnikov 100% next season if he can stay healthy. Smith, to me, is 100% an NHLer, too. Probably not next season but definitely in 2020. If Turgeon can still play the way he did before his health issues then he's an NHLer, too.
I think Zadina might actually need more than two years. I don't expect anyone to believe me but I said it about Dylan Strome, too und I was right. Zadina, just like Strome, is an exciting prospect and I love the pick. Having said that, he looks far off and is gonna need a lot of time.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Svechnikov 100% next season if he can stay healthy. Smith, to me, is 100% an NHLer, too. Probably not next season but definitely in 2020. If Turgeon can still play the way he did before his health issues then he's an NHLer, too.
I think Zadina might actually need more than two years. I don't expect anyone to believe me but I said it about Dylan Strome, too und I was right. Zadina, just like Strome, is an exciting prospect and I love the pick. Having said that, he looks far off and is gonna need a lot of time.
Zadina doesn't look like he's going to need a lot of time. Maybe to reach his absolute peak but not to be an effective NHL player. He already looks dangerous out there. I don't doubt as he is now of he had played a full season with some decent linemates he would have 30 points.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Great, I've been wanting guys within the system but this is almost just as good I guess. Give them a shot. Lets see what happens. Odds are against us but, "Common Hard 8!", " Lucky one time on the dice please! "

Wonder who will be sitting down for a bit? (Abdelkader/Helm?)

Zadina goes to Griffins. Then Hirose in.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Uh-Oh, looks like he is wearing 56 from the pic in the locker room I have seen. Not Pulk's old number, although he likely didn't get to pick that number.

Reactions: Nugget910

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Zadina doesn't look like he's going to need a lot of time. Maybe to reach his absolute peak but not to be an effective NHL player. He already looks dangerous out there. I don't doubt as he is now of he had played a full season with some decent linemates he would have 30 points.

I disagree strongly. He's gonna be a star but it's obvious that he needs time. While it's easy to see his talent he's clearly not ready. He doesn't think the game fast enough and both his movement and skating aren't fast enough either. On the PP he recently missed a puck that was right in his wheelhouse. Kinda symbolical for his game that hasn't improved the slightest bit since his bad preseason. Shouldn't have brought him up. Give him two full seasons in GR with some bonus skating/athletics work then see where he's at.

Reactions: lilidk

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I disagree strongly. He's gonna be a star but it's obvious that he needs time. While it's easy to see his talent he's clearly not ready. He doesn't think the game fast enough and both his movement and skating aren't fast enough either. On the PP he recently missed a puck that was right in his wheelhouse. Kinda symbolical for his game that hasn't improved the slightest bit since his bad preseason. Shouldn't have brought him up. Give him two full seasons in GR with some bonus skating/athletics work then see where he's at.
I disagree that we haven't seen improvement at all since the preseason. He's shown clear improvement in Grand Rapids. He's much more confident with the puck and making plays under pressure. I saw that in his call up. Other than Athanasiou and Larkin, he was the best puck mover at forward. He looked calm and even under pressure he would just get the puck to the net or down low. That's good hockey IQ, he always made the right play and got to the right areas. I don't know where you see he doesn't think the game fast enough, missing a puck on the PP once is hardly an indicator of that. He's not fast on his feet, and that's definitely something he should work on, as well as putting on some muscle, but he's closer than Strome was at this age. I expect him in Detroit next season in a top 6 role.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What about Larkin? I thought Zadina's spot was going to sucked up by the return of Larkin?
Blashill said that he doesn't know about New guys ,he will see them in practice and he doesn't expect them to play Saturday, probably next week. Larkin expected to play next game. Looks like Zadina out , Larkin in

Reactions: NickH8

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
What about Larkin? I thought Zadina's spot was going to sucked up by the return of Larkin?
Blashill said that he doesn't know about New guys ,he will see them in practice and he doesn't expect them to play Saturday, probably next week. Larkin expected to play next game. Looks like Zadina out , Larkin in

I think Larkin was originally supposed to offset Ehn, who is up on emergency recall because the injury put them at 11 healthy forwards (Because I guess Witkowski doesn't count as a healthy forward?) and would need to go down as soon as Larkin returns.

I would assume that as soon as Kuffner/Hirose are eligible to dress (still working out Visa junk?), one of them being able to dress would also negate the "emergency" and require the team to re-assign Ehn. But if they aren't playing this weekend, I'm not sure how the team deals with sending a healthy guy down while they have a guy up on E-R because they didn't/don't have enough healthy forwards.

Not sure how it's going to work now since Zadina is being re-assigned... I guess it depends on how seriously the league takes "emergency re-call" situations. I'm assuming since they are now willingly sending down a healthy forward on a standard re-call, the league will want them to burn a standard call up to give them 12 healthy forwards. Especially considering they would've had 12 by keeping Zadina and swapping Ehn with Larkin. I mean maybe they dress Witkowski at forward while they wait for Hirose and Kuffner to be ready and use Ericsson to E-R a dman? But then wouldn't the league raise questions about Witkowski being a healthy scratch while Ehn was on E-R?

Or maybe they're just going to burn a standard re-call on Ehn until they're ready to put Kuffner/Hirose in?

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, Ehn's emergency re-call will need to end immediately after Larkin returns to the line-up or they have enough healthy forwards.

If you recall, in Sheahan's lone appearance in the 12-13 season, he was called up on emergency re-call because Zetterberg was banged up and questionable for that days game while they team had only 11 other healthy forwards. Zetterberg ended up playing anyway, and they healthy scratched Tootoo to give Sheahan a look. Since Zetterberg played, it meant Sheahan needed to be re-assigned unless they wanted to burn one of their 4 call ups on him to stay up.

So yea, in a way it probably ends up Zadina out, Larkin in.

Then Ehn goes down after tomorrow's game and one of Kuffner/Hirose play on Tuesday?

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuggs

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I disagree that we haven't seen improvement at all since the preseason. He's shown clear improvement in Grand Rapids. He's much more confident with the puck and making plays under pressure. I saw that in his call up. Other than Athanasiou and Larkin, he was the best puck mover at forward. He looked calm and even under pressure he would just get the puck to the net or down low. That's good hockey IQ, he always made the right play and got to the right areas. I don't know where you see he doesn't think the game fast enough, missing a puck on the PP once is hardly an indicator of that. He's not fast on his feet, and that's definitely something he should work on, as well as putting on some muscle, but he's closer than Strome was at this age. I expect him in Detroit next season in a top 6 role.

Agree here. Zadina has definitely improved his game throughout the year. Since he has came to Detroit he has skated pretty well with the puck, has had the confidence to shoot the puck, and has remain patient when under pressure. I think there are things he needs to improve, yes, but 2 years in GR? I highly doubt it. I can almost guarantee that Zadina will be on the starting roster (free of injury, of course) come next season.

Reactions: NickH8

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think Larkin was originally supposed to offset Ehn, who is up on emergency recall because the injury put them at 11 healthy forwards (Because I guess Witkowski doesn't count as a healthy forward?) and would need to go down as soon as Larkin returns.

I would assume that as soon as Kuffner/Hirose are eligible to dress (still working out Visa junk?), one of them being able to dress would also negate the "emergency" and require the team to re-assign Ehn. But if they aren't playing this weekend, I'm not sure how the team deals with sending a healthy guy down while they have a guy up on E-R because they didn't/don't have enough healthy forwards.

Not sure how it's going to work now since Zadina is being re-assigned... I guess it depends on how seriously the league takes "emergency re-call" situations. I'm assuming since they are now willingly sending down a healthy forward on a standard re-call, the league will want them to burn a standard call up to give them 12 healthy forwards. Especially considering they would've had 12 by keeping Zadina and swapping Ehn with Larkin. I mean maybe they dress Witkowski at forward while they wait for Hirose and Kuffner to be ready and use Ericsson to E-R a dman? But then wouldn't the league raise questions about Witkowski being a healthy scratch while Ehn was on E-R?

Or maybe they're just going to burn a standard re-call on Ehn until they're ready to put Kuffner/Hirose in?

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, Ehn's emergency re-call will need to end immediately after Larkin returns to the line-up or they have enough healthy forwards.

If you recall, in Sheahan's lone appearance in the 12-13 season, he was called up on emergency re-call because Zetterberg was banged up and questionable for that days game while they team had only 11 other healthy forwards. Zetterberg ended up playing anyway, and they healthy scratched Tootoo to give Sheahan a look. Since Zetterberg played, it meant Sheahan needed to be re-assigned unless they wanted to burn one of their 4 call ups on him to stay up.

So yea, in a way it probably ends up Zadina out, Larkin in.

Then Ehn goes down after tomorrow's game and one of Kuffner/Hirose play on Tuesday?
I think That's exactly how it is going to be

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Agree here. Zadina has definitely improved his game throughout the year. Since he has came to Detroit he has skated pretty well with the puck, has had the confidence to shoot the puck, and has remain patient when under pressure. I think there are things he needs to improve, yes, but 2 years in GR? I highly doubt it. I can almost guarantee that Zadina will be on the starting roster (free of injury, of course) come next season.

You never know since they also decided to ruin Cholowski's and Hronek's development..but PLEASE NO.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
You never know since they also decided to ruin Cholowski's and Hronek's development..but PLEASE NO.
Playing young guys in the NHL won't ruin their development unless you just throw them into roles they can't handle like Edmonton. This isn't the 2000's anymore Mr. 2013 Ken Holland. Cholowski and Hronek haven't had their development ruined, if anything they've been accelerated due to being put in the NHL.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
College UFAs: Kuffner to DET and Teves to VAN. Both from Princeton.

Anyone know anything about this kid?

Yeah, a bunch of my friends know Kuffner well and played with him growing up. I've never met him, but I've been texting my buddies to get a scouting report. He has wheels, has a cannon of a shot, and the one thing I keep hearing over and over is that he is extremely competitive. One buddy currently plays with him on a men's league team in the summer, and says he's even extremely competitive there. Hopefully this translates well to the NHL.

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
Yeah, a bunch of my friends know Kuffner well and played with him growing up. I've never met him, but I've been texting my buddies to get a scouting report. He has wheels, has a cannon of a shot, and the one thing I keep hearing over and over is that he is extremely competitive. One buddy currently plays with him on a men's league team in the summer, and says he's even extremely competitive there. Hopefully this translates well to the NHL.

We can only hope competitiveness in beer league translates to competitiveness in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad