Ryan Kesler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Not saying I supported it, just saying why they likely put him there because constantly feeding Garrison/Edler one timers was quickly being shutdown so the predictability went away when Kesler was placed on the point because he has a bomb of a shot too.

Not sure how I feel about Bieksa/Weber on the point as they'd just be feeding Edler/Garrison onetimers anyways. I'd like to see Kassian in front of the net one way or another on the PP because he's effective in front of the net as well. Burrows has looked terrible on the PP, for whatever reason that is, so I'd prefer him to not be in front of the net.

Weber has a decent shot, I agree with the rest of your post. Burr was ok on the PP, but he can't deflect like RK17 or hold position in front as well.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Weber has a decent shot, I agree with the rest of your post. Burr was ok on the PP, but he can't deflect like RK17 or hold position in front as well.

Haven't really seen Weber's shot, but I'm hoping it's hard enough to at least be taken seriously by the opposition to try and take his lanes away for a shot so that way it may open up his partner on the blueline on the PP.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
He's more fragile than salo :( I don have confidence he can stay healthy throughout a 82 game season.
He's only missed major chunks of a regular season 2 out of his 8 seasons in the NHL (the other time way back in the 2006-07 season).

Salo had 2 healthy seasons out of his 9 seasons as a Canuck (his first two years as a Canuck - WAY, WAY back - *TWO* lockouts ago).

???

Kesler's problem is that he gets worn down by the end of the regular season or during the post-season.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Haven't really seen Weber's shot, but I'm hoping it's hard enough to at least be taken seriously by the opposition to try and take his lanes away for a shot so that way it may open up his partner on the blueline on the PP.

From THN

His big point shot and ability to produce on the power play are his best attributes. Also plays with poise along the blueline.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?6197
Haven't seen much of him either.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Weber has a fairly good shot. Not nearly as potent as say, Garrison, but more accurate. His biggest issue is Bieksa-like defensive gaffes and he's more prone to them. That said, Montreal never bothered to pair him properly and someone like Tanev might just be exactly what he needs.

He's more fragile than salo :( I don have confidence he can stay healthy throughout a 82 game season.

If he stays healthy I hope for amazing 2 way play with 25 goals and around 50 points

Dude, no. Salo fears a light breeze. Kesler only risks injury due to how he plays.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Of all the current Canucks, Tortorella's guy is most likely Kesler. I think Tortorella came here to drive monster-mode Kesler into the regular season. Not just that, of course, but it must have piqued his interest.

"Casual Kevin" Bieksa doesn't have a beast mode he goes into. The Sedins can't work harder. Luongo doesn't need scolding or time on the bench. How is Tortorella going to make a difference with the same line-up? Actually, the roster, on paper would seem to have less scoring than last year. How does he expect to achieve better results?

I think the solution the brain trust hope for, is to push players to levels they have achieved before, but only briefly. If beast-mode Kesler plays all season on a line with two guys that have burning desire to prove themselves, what can be achieved? This is a question Tortorella can answer.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
All this talk about getting more out of Kesler is hilarious.. the guy has nothing more to give physically.. I'd say they need to harness him more and tell him to back off on his aggressiveness until the playoffs.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
All this talk about getting more out of Kesler is hilarious.. the guy has nothing more to give physically.. I'd say they need to harness him more and tell him to back off on his aggressiveness until the playoffs.

Good luck telling Kesler to not play his game and be less effective in the Regular Season because you want him to save it for the playoffs. :laugh: Kesler can just as easily get injured if the Canucks baby him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I thought the PP looked dangerous with him back there on the point. A hard shot from both the left and right points... No reason not to give Kassian a chance to fulfill that role of the big, skilled net presence... I thought it should have been tried all last season once Kes came back.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I thought the PP looked dangerous with him back there on the point. A hard shot from both the left and right points... No reason not to give Kassian a chance to fulfill that role of the big, skilled net presence... I thought it should have been tried all last season once Kes came back.

My thinking as well. Made the shots from the point less predictable, and Kesler is our best right handed shot by far, so why not try him out there with Edler/Garrison? This way the PK'ers would actually have to worry about shots from both sides of the point, not just one. I think Kassian can easily fulfill the net front presence.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
kesler style of play is the reason why he's been hurt the last few years. agressive. remember when he came back last year, game against dallas? or so played with a broken foot before calling it in. i'd like to see him on the left sided faceoff circle and either henrik or whoever feeding him passes on the powerplay.

King of the ES*

Kesler is far more effective in front of the net than Kassian or Kesler on the point. I understand that he is somewhat fragile, but what makes Kesler who he is, is the style of play which does lend itself to injuries. Trying to coddle him will only take away his effectiveness. Play Weber on the point, or even Bieksa with Garrison.

Completely agree with this. Managing Kesler's style of play so that he might not get injured as easily is a terrible idea.

StringerBell

I like Kesler on the point for the PP. Play Burrows or Kassian in front and let Kesler fire pucks on net. On a somewhat related note, Horvat should be holding down that PP net presence job for the foreseeable future once he makes the team. He was great there for London last season.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Of all the current Canucks, Tortorella's guy is most likely Kesler. I think Tortorella came here to drive monster-mode Kesler into the regular season. Not just that, of course, but it must have piqued his interest.

"Casual Kevin" Bieksa doesn't have a beast mode he goes into. The Sedins can't work harder. Luongo doesn't need scolding or time on the bench. How is Tortorella going to make a difference with the same line-up? Actually, the roster, on paper would seem to have less scoring than last year. How does he expect to achieve better results?

I think the solution the brain trust hope for, is to push players to levels they have achieved before, but only briefly. If beast-mode Kesler plays all season on a line with two guys that have burning desire to prove themselves, what can be achieved? This is a question Tortorella can answer.
I think Edler is the other guy who has an untapped "beast mode" he's had a knack for getting into that but doesn't get mentioned enough for some reason.

Everytime we have a huge turnaround game in the playoffs, more than a few times it was because Edler turned a switched on into a Jovo-cop-esque presence that aggressively destroyed everything in sight. He seems to play far better defensively when he's in that mode as well.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would like to see Kesler play a rover role on the powerplay-- On paper, play the point-- Half the time taking one-timers, and like Jovo did with Bertuzzi, occassionally surprising everyone by jumping up to JOIN Kassian/Burrows in front of the net and leave Edler alone on the point with Henrik or Daniel up high. Would be very difficult to handle.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Yes, as Kesler goes, the Canucks go. He's that important.

Agreed. There's been a lot of talk about the lack of secondary scoring in recent years and the truth is... Kesler is the Canucks' secondary scoring and there's no one to take that responsibility away (and there even shouldn't considering Kesler should be in his prime). 10-11 he scored 40 goals playing with Raymond and Samuelsson at ES. After the Sedins he is the primary engine of this team scoring wise.

He's been a good player the last 2 years when he's been on the ice but he needs to get back to that elite level he was during the Cup run year. If he's capable to do that, and I'm not talking about scoring exactly 40 goals but rather having the same kind of impact as he did 10-11 while scoring around 30+30, the Canucks will again be favorites as the playoffs roll by.

Personally I'm not sure if he can get back there. He has clearly lost a step ever since playing through that groin injury in the Cup finals and doesn't have quite the same explosiveness and quickness in his skating anymore (his puck rushing has gone way down and, whether in offensive zone play or off the rush, he can't separate himself from defencemen and create space for himself the same way he used to). I do have hopes that he can get back there as he had a whole healthy summer to train and recover (unlike past 2 summers). We'll see I guess.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Agreed. There's been a lot of talk about the lack of secondary scoring in recent years and the truth is... Kesler is the Canucks' secondary scoring and there's no one to take that responsibility away (and there even shouldn't considering Kesler should be in his prime). 10-11 he scored 40 goals playing with Raymond and Samuelsson at ES. After the Sedins he is the primary engine of this team scoring wise.

Perhaps thats why we have absolutely sucked the past 3 playoff rounds, one guy is our secondary scoring...

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Perhaps thats why we have absolutely sucked the past 3 playoff rounds, one guy is our secondary scoring...

Yeah well, more wouldn't hurt that's for sure. There's not a team in the NHL that doesn't want more scoring. Hopefully Booth and Kassian can be better and provide some of that next year.

I do believe offence and defence wise this team is good enough to win the Cup if certain things happen (Kesler playing like in 10-11 is one of them). Not 100% sure about Luongo though.

Remember when Weber and Suter shut down Sedins and Kesler went all beast mode and eliminated Nashville? Yeah, too bad he played with one leg when Chara & co made Sedins useless. Luongo's meltdowns didn't help the case neither.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah well, more wouldn't hurt that's for sure. There's not a team in the NHL that doesn't want more scoring. Hopefully Booth and Kassian can be better and provide some of that next year.

I do believe offence and defence wise this team is good enough to win the Cup if certain things happen (Kesler playing like in 10-11 is one of them). Not 100% sure about Luongo though.

Remember when Weber and Suter shut down Sedins and Kesler went all beast mode and eliminated Nashville? Yeah, too bad he played with one leg when Chara & co made Sedins useless. Luongo's meltdowns didn't help the case neither.

We need guys like Higgy, Hansen, and whoever else (used to be Raymond) contributing regularly in the playoffs or they're playing woth comlete fire yet again. Are our 2nd/3rd line tweeners good enough thats always the question IMO they aren't.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
God there are a lot of chicken-littles on these boards. People saying Kesler has lost a step are completely clueless, we haven't seen him play a healthy game since the Sharks series (2011).

Now, it's entirely possible that he has lost a step, but to assume so is patently ridiculous.

Further, for the pundits picking us to miss the playoffs, give your head a shake. Kesler is our engine player. How would the wings be without Zetterberg, the Bruins without Bergeron, the Hawks without Toews?

He is healthy for the first time in roughly 3 years. Be excited Canucks fans. I know we all condition ourselves to expect disappointment, but sports is supposed to be fun. Allow it to be something that makes you happy. Believe in this team. They're not a top 4 cup favorite at this point, but they certainly fall into the 4-8 range. And with good health, those teams have as good a chance as any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad