Speculation: Ryan Johansen "Softly in play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 5m5 minutes ago
Dreger: Ryan Johansen "softly in play, is how I'm going to describe it." #CBJ aren't shopping. Teams calling, and rather than getting... 1/2

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 5m5 minutes ago
Dreger: ...dismissed immediately, sense I'm getting from managers is Jarmo Kekalainen is asking what they're willing to part w/. #CBJ 2/2

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I don't think JK saying what would you part with, means that he's in play any more or less than he has been in the past. It would make sense though, we are good at trading our young forwards for other players that don't work out anyway.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I suggested on the main thread something like

Johansen + Atkinson + Rychel/Milano/Bjork

for

Seth Jones + Filip Forsberg

thoughts? Forsberg has started a bit slow this year, so I'm not sure how highly he is valued in their system.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I suggested on the main thread something like

Johansen + Atkinson + Rychel/Milano/Bjork

for

Seth Jones + Filip Forsberg

thoughts? Forsberg has started a bit slow this year, so I'm not sure how highly he is valued in their system.

Not bad from our perspective. Rychel isn't interchangeable with the other two in my view.

It's so risky for GMs reputations to move star players, that they end up padding the deals like this. Even safer just not to do trades( for the gms sake, not ours).

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Not bad from our perspective. Rychel isn't interchangeable with the other two in my view.

It's so risky for GMs reputations to move star players, that they end up padding the deals like this. Even safer just not to do trades( for the gms sake, not ours).

I just figured in this hypothetical scenario, Nashville could have their choice of whatever prospect they liked the best.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
If we get a legit #1 dman out of it, you can't turn it down. But I want to hear more about what people are offering.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Okay Viqsi, what's the latest on Seth Jones?

Yes. Inquiring minds want to know. It would seem like this is the deal that makes the most sense. I don't know if it is a straight one for one but as a start its okay by me.

Big reason to move Joey is the cap. If he expects 8-10 that is going to kill the Jackets. If we got a top 2 D man out of the deal it'll cost too but hopefully not for a year or two after Joey.

With Karlsson and Jenner having good years their price will rise a bit and Murray is going to get a good deal too. We need some cap relief. Josi at 4 mill for 4 more years after this would be ideal but Jones for 3 at a similar cap hit would work as well.

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Do you trade our first #1 center for our first legit #1 defenseman?

I'm a little nervous in hearing this to be honest. If he were traded (big IF) we NEED to get back a legit #1.

Would anyone here be happy with a Nash-like return?

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
What would you guys want from MN for Johansen? I figure Brodin would be a must part of the deal?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do you trade our first #1 center for our first legit #1 defenseman?

I'm a little nervous in hearing this to be honest. If he were traded (big IF) we NEED to get back a legit #1.

Would anyone here be happy with a Nash-like return?

I don't think we get a certified current #1 D man in return. No one like Doughty, Keith, Subban, etc. Maybe a guy like Josi who some might consider a #1. Best bet in my mind is a guy like Jones who could develop into a top pairing guy.

Nashville is an ideal trading partner. They need a true #1-although some here would argue Joey has not played like a top #1 this year. They are loaded with D and they are in the West.

If we got Jones plus a top young guy and maybe a pick that would be a good return in my mind.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
There are less #1 centers in the league than there are teams. Dealing Johansen would be the dumbest thing this franchise has ever done - and that's really saying something. Something like this would make me seriously question if I could continue to support this organization.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I know everyone so far has said Nashville is the trade partner, but what's everyone making of Doug Armstrong spending so much time scouting Columbus?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There are less #1 centers in the league than there are teams. Dealing Johansen would be the dumbest thing this franchise has ever done - and that's really saying something. Something like this would make me seriously question if I could continue to support this organization.

agreed.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Absolutely 100% agreed.

On the point of "do we trade our first #1C ever for a #1D", definitely no. There are more young players in the system with the upside to become that #1D (Murray/Werenski), than there are players with the potential to become a PPG #1C (ZERO, none, zilch, nada).

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Much ado about nothing. Jarmo has probably been burning the phones up for weeks now about finding help on the blueline. Other GMs of course would ask if Joey is available. Of course Jarmo would in turn ask, what would you give up for him?

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Johansen frustrates the hell out of me sometimes...many times

With that being....maybe the front office is just letting this story out to see if he responds and wants to prove himself in Columbus.

It's not like the trade deadline is this weekend

It gives them a number of games to see how he responds.....

Some guys just do not have the desire to be the best they can be.....so far he is in this class

Think about this.....on most teams, their best player is at least considered for Captain, did ANYONE ever mention his name when the Jackets talked about naming a Captain this past year?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad